How Does Everyone Afford All These Designer Items?

Phuel, you do know I was just kidding, right?

When I actually used to buy designer goods, I did it the old-fashioned way: blow half my paycheck on one single item, then live off Ramen noodles until my next paycheck. I was in my early and mid 20's then..go figure. And that, I'm not kidding about.

^ I am so relieved :lol: I will say that were I to steal a label, I would do better than Barney's private label :wink:

When I was in high school and college I bought a lot of really nice things second-hand. However, many had their labels snipped out, I assume for comfort. I could recognize good quality without the label, but still I wanted to know. To this day I resist cutting a label out of my own clothes for this reason. Why I do this when I typically wear my clothes out, so that no one else could be bothered by a missing label, is another question :lol:

I've paid full price for designer stuff, and I don't mind doing it for something really great. But Yoox is a godsend.

^^^ Yeah-- didn't want to say anything about that myself! (Committing a crime to snip off a Barneys private label! Haha!)

Phuel, you do know I was just kidding, right?

When I actually used to buy designer goods, I did it the old-fashioned way: blow half my paycheck on one single item, then live off Ramen noodles until my next paycheck. I was in my early and mid 20's then..go figure. And that, I'm not kidding about.

LOL

I honestly didn't know you were just kidding. Ha-- that's just hilarious to me had you been serious! I guess because people are much more candid on the interweb, and some really do do that sort of thing.

I think it's typical to do that when we started making some money. Then as time goes by, and you're a little wiser and coming off the high, you start to realize that spending all your money on designer purchases while neglecting other things is probably not the best priority. And, it comes back to spending reasonably: Seasonal sales, online outlets and the occasional spurge, etc. However, if I were given a $7,000 shopping spree on myself at Barneys, I'd probably just spend it on 2-3 special items.

To answer ro the topic: I don`t. Sometimes I am lucky enough to find something second hand and usually even then the price scares me. But now when all the social media second hand "shops" are so common and I have finally found out about them, I think I will buy things more often. Mainly I am keeping eye on shoes, bags and other accessories.

I'am in my 20s and I work I buy what I want because I work full time lol.The only things I splurge on are food,clothes and makeup.I don't care about shoes or handbags I just buy ALDO.I would rather have nice clothes than have a designer handbag and look poor you know what I mean everyone with a LV handbag never has any nice clothes they just wear basic stuff because they are in debt after buying that bag.

I'am in my 20s and I work I buy what I want because I work full time lol.The only things I splurge on are food,clothes and makeup.I don't care about shoes or handbags I just buy ALDO.I would rather have nice clothes than have a designer handbag and look poor you know what I mean everyone with a LV handbag never has any nice clothes they just wear basic stuff because they are in debt after buying that bag.

I know a fair share of women with LV bags and they all dress very smart. * shrugs *

I know a fair share of women with LV bags and they all dress very smart. * shrugs *

To me LV handbags I dont even care about at all.I just wouldnt blow my money on that ever.I think designer handbags are just a status symbol people just buy them because they want to appear rich or have it look like they have money when they actually dont.Every girl I know who owns one like I said they couldnt afford to buy one to begin with they just bought one for the sake of having one because everyone else bought them and they thought it would look cool.

Plus its more trendy.I like hermes real rich people own those lol.

There are different LV bags. I would never pay the $$$$ for vinyl-infused canvas, but they do make high-quality leather bags too. They tend to not make things as logo-free as I like, but I would potentially consider buying leather from them.

I wait for the sales. I'm on about £9600 a year, so that's the only way. I usually dress in the higher end of high street. I have been known to buy the £5-£10 dropshipped Korean clothes from eBay.

I was studying well into my late twenties as I did a masters etc, and many people my age had been working for years by the time I finished with my education! I still feel like I cannot afford many of the designer items my friends can. For designer clothes, I will show up right at opening hours at sample sales.

For handbags, I wait till 70% sales and buy what I can afford and like within a limited range! I will ask for a discount if I see a bag has been slightly damaged! usually that will knock off at least a further 10% I have some nice handbags from sample sales that have no labels but are still designer items.

I have some that are just gifts from family, friends, my husband .... that I do not take credit for my fashion hunting skills :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I get other people to buy them for me as gifts :cool2::wink:
that's how I got my Stuart Weitzman boots and Prada sunglasses, anything else unless it's a dirt dirt cheap sale I can't afford to buy it

^You are lucky! No one in my family understands why I want designer items, so they would certainly never gift me any.

Living in Sydney, Aust is expensive enough as it is. Clothes! We get ripped off so badly its not funny. On average we pay 30% more give or take than most cities in the world (though other Australian cities are similar to here). If I really want something badly new, I will lay-by it, especially shoes.

My other alternative is to go to some of the more wealthier suburban shops, they always have St Vinnies and the Salvation Army shops. So often there I can find clothes and accessories that have only been worn once at half the price or better than the retail stores.

Last alternative, I get my aunt to copy something from a magazine for me. She is a whiz at dress making :D

So much better to buy your own & let them wonder what it cost :wink:

Agreed! A person can look sharply dressed or be covered in logos, in the end the brandless style is one I much prefer. Of course I love designer items, but I rarely indulge. When I do, I love it until it falls apart, literally!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacksonwreath
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->