• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Issac Mizrahi Update

Astrid21

Reaction score
Originally posted by New York Times

A Mizrahi Comeback, One More Time

By CATHY HORYN

Isaac Mizrahi, whose haywire fashion career seems apt for Bette Davis's warning about seat belts, is back in the biz. Mr. Mizrahi, naturally, says he never left.

Five years ago, one may recall, he abruptly closed his doors, ending a once promising career. And so forth and so on. Always something of a showman, as he dashed down his runway in velvet slippers waving a cigarette — half Coward, half Crawford in "The Women" — Mr. Mizrahi went on to perform on the stage and to have his own television talk show (on the Oxygen network). Last year, joining the race of designers going from class to mass, he signed up to create a fashion line for Target, the merchant based in Minneapolis. Those clothes, priced about $20 to $50 for cotton shirts, driving moccasins and corduroy shirtdresses, will be on sale in August.

Now, at the opposite extreme, Mr. Mizrahi has brought out a small line of made-to-measure clothes with prices from about $7,000 for a black silk faille dance dress to $18,000 for a fitted wool evening suit with fox sleeves. The clothes combine Mr. Mizrahi's wit (a camel's-hair coat was the obvious inspiration for a halter dress with an opulent fur collar) with his love of American sportswear (a polo dress striped in bugle beads). Notices have been sent to 100 potential clients, and fittings will be done in his design studio in Greenwich Village, where last Thursday afternoon he met with a couple of reporters and a photographer.

Looking mildly nonplused when asked why he chose the middle of a stinky economy to return to high fashion, Mr. Mizrahi replied: "I love clothes — that's what made me want to do it." He added: "This is my idea of a tonic for a stinky economy. I wouldn't buy something that costs $1,800, but I would buy something that cost $8,000 — or $8. I like very cheap clothes and very expensive clothes, what can I tell you?

"I mean, does Aerin Lauder not go to Target? People shop at both."

And though he is discussing licensing deals for other garments, he does not regard these ventures as a restart of his career. "I don't think I was ever really out of the fashion business," he said. "I could be deluding myself. I am a very delusional person."

He then turned his attention to the photographer, who was studying a model as she arranged her many-layered skirt on a bright orange chair.

"Are those suede, your pants, or doeskin?" Mr. Mizrahi asked.

The photographer looked up and then down at his trousers, as if he had never seen them before. "Australian brushed cotton," he said.

Whatever this venture means, Mr. Mizrahi, 40, says he is mentally in a different place than he was, say, seven years ago, when he had to meet the demands of retailers and editors. Now, he said, "there's nobody to tell me I can't do something I love." His new clothes reflect that less encumbered attitude.

Just how many new and old customers he will find is hard to gauge. He was known for well-made clothes but not exquisitely detailed garments that justify huge prices. At the same time, a lot of young society women around town are used to borrowing clothes.

He still plans to pursue other interests. He hopes to direct his first feature film, "The Extra Man," based on the Jonathan Ames novel about an older gentleman who goes to B-list dinners. He and Christine Vachon, who produced "Boys Don't Cry" and "Far From Heaven," own the film rights and are in the process of casting. "I'm going to direct that movie if it kills me," he said.

Mr. Mizrahi doesn't see a downside to designing a few more dresses. "I'm doing all the things I love," he said. "I tape three times a week. Sometimes I have one or two fittings, sometimes a lot. I go to Minneapolis. I don't really find it's time-consuming. In the end, I still have time to play computer bridge and freak out."

I love Issac! I can't wait. :heart: And I didn't know he produced those two movies. :shock:

Go Isaac! Go Target!

I gather your Target stores are similar to ours, low-priced mass produced (but good quality) basics????

"I don't think I was ever really out of the fashion business," he said. "I could be deluding myself. I am a very delusional person."

can't you just hear isaac saying this! :lol: i think he's fabulous!

Does anyone here watch Conan? One time they went shopping together and Isaac was picking out ties for him and stuff it was hilarious. I myself find both men quite enjoyable.

Originally posted by mehg@Jun 26th, 2003 - 2:42 pm
Does anyone here watch Conan? One time they went shopping together and Isaac was picking out ties for him and stuff it was hilarious. I myself find both men quite enjoyable.
I saw it! :lol: I have a slight crush on Conan. :blush:

Originally posted by Astrid21+Jun 26th, 2003 - 2:46 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Astrid21 @ Jun 26th, 2003 - 2:46 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-mehg@Jun 26th, 2003 - 2:42 pm
I saw it! :lol: I have a slight crush on Conan. :blush: [/b][/quote]
:woot: me too! I love his self-deprecating humor!

Originally posted by mehg@Jun 26th, 2003 - 2:58 pm
:woot: me too! I love his self-deprecating humor!
I know. :lol: I love his little dances. :innocent: And I like that he doesn't kiss their ***es. B)

so true astrid! I love his Anna Nicole impression and then when he hisses at the camera! And he also admits when jokes fall flat and i'm like yes! don't continue on a bad joke, just admit it was bad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prodigal96
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->