• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

J. Crew

^ Meg (and other J. Crew fans), there was an article at Wall Street Journal/Market Watch online that may be of interest that includes an interview with Jenna Lyons:

Giving Classics a Fresh Look at J. Crew

Thank you for posting this :flower:. A great read.

I own 3 pairs of trousers and I'm very happy with the quality of them. But I would like to pick up a cashmere sweater or two as well the next time I'm there. They look so soft. But piling is definitely an issue.

I recently just made my first online order from J.Crew and to my delight, everything fit when it came in! A rare occurence when ordering from the online version of a store one doesn't even shop at. The quality is good but I'm not sure if I would pay full price. Similar to Banana Republic and Ann Taylor, I know there are always coupons and mark downs shortly after release.

I love their "basics with a twist" style. I work in an office but hate buying typical office clothing as it is usually very boring. I like the addition of a funky color, a small ruffled edge, etc. to spice things up a little.

^ Glad your purchase worked out, ellesea. :flower:

I, too, do not purchase items from J. Crew at full price.

And it sounds to me that you're fitting their target market quite well - a woman who wants the "basics with the twist." That's definitely one of the things that I like about J. Crew the most.

^ It's true, I am their target market! 20-something cubicle slave who style wants to look relatively stylish and age appropriate but without designer prices or too much fuss.

Funny enough, I was just thinking about this a few days ago. Whereas I used to wear a lot of vintage, do a lot of layering and generally wear a more complicated outfit, I now love the ease of J.Crew, Banana Republic, etc. pieces.

I'm becoming an "adult". :lol:

Thread resurrection altert: has anyone seen the Edie purse? The leather looks lovely in images. I'm really taken by it.

^ I just received the October catalog which has that purse on the cover and I am absolutely in love with it. Would love to see it in person.

I have a question about sizing. Do the minnie pants in twill run true to size?

I ask because I own the pixie pants in a size 4 but I also own trousers by them in a size 0. So it seems to me that their sizing can vary quite a bit.

ETA: Lapin here is a blog review of the Edie purse with pictures :flower:.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've seen the edie in person, and it's a great bag...
i've been waffling back and forth about getting the leopard one (it's a great alternative to the celine box, and i love that it has a shoulder strap), but it's not an "everyday" bag...
it's basically large enough for wallet, phone, keys, maybe a makeup bag and one more piece...

party_vixen, i find the minnie runs true to size...

On the point of sizing in J.Crew, are they commonly accepted to be seen as a large cut? I usually buy size 10 Australian (equivalent to a UK 10), FR38/IT42, and US 6, but I wear a small or US 2 in their skirts, tops and shirts. This is the same with Madewell.

So when you say the pants run true to size - in terms of what I usually am in other brands, or with J.Crew?

^ i would say what you wear in other brands...
i tend to be a 4-6 in most american brands (j.crew, banana republic, gap, etc), but i can vary with euro brands...

I went to J.Crew to pick up an Edie bag for myself but left without one, unfortunately. The store I went to only had 6 and all of them were scuffed to some degree, one also had a dent right on the top of the flap. The leather is quite soft and I can imagine it would get scuffed over time but I wasn't about to spend CDN $270+ in order to buy one that was already that way. Needless to say, I was really disappointed. It's a beautiful bag in person. Now I'm wondering if I should just buy it online, instead.

i think madewell is so much better than jcrew now...

J.Crew's doing free shipping again, so I fear I may be forced to indulge.

well---
they managed to kill jcrew by growing it too big and getting too far away from their original identity...

:ermm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jk1988
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->