• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Sewing My Own Evening Gown...

lovespell

Reaction score
Hello all! I hardly every post here, just lurk around and covet all the beautiful clothes. :flower:

I decided for Prom this year, I'm sewing my own dress. Because all the girls look the SAME, every year. Their like clones in polyester beaded JCPENNY dresses. So I've been browsing the web, for patterns, fabrics, and general idea's.

Here's some of the dress patterns I've found so far:

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/vogue...&M=&UK=20843341

Any opinions or idea's? Does anyone know of more sights where I can look at dress patterns?

One of the hardest parts is choosing the color of the dress! So many choices... I've been doing alot looking at Vogue and Elle for inspiration.

Does anyone on this site make their own evening wear or clothes? Any tips would be much appreciated. I'm very excited for the finished product! :smile:

I can't sew for the life of me (when I button falls off I cry :lol: :blush: ), but I really like the one on the far right, maybe done in a black silk, satin... something soft.

7428.jpg

I said black, but really that dress would look great in so many different colors.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :lucky:

That's the one I really like too. :flower:

Aww, poor Honey! My mom is a seamstress, so she's going to help me with the complicated aspects of making the dress. But it's so nice, when a button falls off, or I want a hem altered, or whatever, to have my mommy do it! Right now she's converting my last year prom dress into a shorter, more simple style, to make it more wearable. I don't know what I'm going to do when I move out! :shock: I really depend on her when it comes to my wardrobe!

Good for you for wanting to look different! :smile: I know what you mean about normal prom dresses-very blah. :sick: You might want to try vintage stores, many have got really unique (and cheap) stuff. Also, retro styles like the 60's and 80s are very popular right now. (I got my dress, which I :heart:, for $17!)

Also, if you like the look of vintage styles, but aren't fond of the mustyness you could use vintage patterns. :flower:

Sadly, we don't have any true vintage stores around here. Vintage patterns are a good idea though. I'll take a look, and see what I can find. I love the old Hollywood evening gowns from the 30's and 40's. Thanks for advice. :flower:

Originally posted by Honey@Dec 19th, 2003 - 11:05 pm
I can't sew for the life of me (when I button falls off I cry :lol: :blush: ), but I really like the one on the far right, maybe done in a black silk, satin... something soft.

7428.jpg

I said black, but really that dress would look great in so many different colors.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :lucky:
would look great in black silk

the DK dress is also quite interesting -and less relieving than the uber cool but quite plunging black v-neck style :wink:

good luck with your choice keep us updated how it goes :flower:

Oh, i do love eyeing up the vintage, vintage sewing patterns for example......

S1866.jpg
50cent back in the 50s and now 46 USD. Bargain i think you will agree

Or from the 40s and the pattern looking somewhat worse of the wear: "Misses' Dance Dress; Basque Bodice".

B3836.jpg

And what pretty curtain fabric.....

St1952.jpg

have LOADS of fun making this dress!

remember to follow the instructions.....they are ALWAYS right :wink: i learnt my lesson a while ago when i wasted about £100 of cashmere :doh:

merry christmas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chelseaboys
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->