• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Media Directors

ellastica

Reaction score
Here's where to share your knowledge of Socia Media movers and shakers: the good, the bad, and cutting-edge online media innovaters.

Let's share favorite websites, insightful posts, images and highlight those media savvy individuals who not only utilize social media as a business strategy but elevate our online Fashion/Magazine/Retail/Design experience as an all encompassing, higly relevant art form speaking, relating and representing our generation.

Name: Joyann King
Title: Digital Director of Harper's Bazaar

FAKJTfKONJCnNDNlzmgtTgrNnPUMuxjiJ26jVkuJDvc,NxV2gpid_O4Rf6-p-rt5u473pYzyHUjQToP9X7V5nr4,060Zo0FxpVZ8HLTDgQLwdJ7Cve-x4hVS26rsW0jFtdE.jpg

Joyann King is a New York City-based fashion editor. Currently the Digital Director at Harper’s BAZAAR, Joyann oversees all digital initiatives for the magazine as well as online editorial content.

Previously, Joyann served as the Fashion News Editor at InStyle.com, where she reported daily on fashion, beauty & celebrity news. She has also contributed to Elle.com, Glamour.com, Self.com, Modelinia.com, Stylecaster.com & TheLadders.com.

In 2009, Joyann was tapped as the Editorial Director for PH8, a collection from Bebe, where she edited their daily fashion blog & recruited top industry contributors. As the NY Editor at Large for Shopbop.com, she shared her experiences on the New York fashion & social scene with customers. That same year, she founded & edited Self.com’s first style blog, Style Secrets.

Joyann began her career working in the fashion departments of glossy magazines like Glamour & SELF, then found her online voice as the Fashion Editor at ELLEgirl.com. The stylist behind many advertorial programs sponsored by brands like JCPenney, Macy’s, H&M, Clinique, Target & Payless, she is an expert at merging editorial content with client’s needs.

Joyann studied finance & journalism at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas.
source: joyannking.com

It would be nice to hear what you thought of her work and why it´s significant, because presented this way it almost works like an ad...imho.

haha- yeah- that is what she wrote about herself on her website...

i always find it funny to read what people write about themselves ...
Especially when it's written in the third person...

it's quite difficult to promote yourself without sounding like a big jerk, imho...
but i guess that is a topic for another thread...

^_^

this topic also seems like it belongs in either behind the lens or in careers...
unless we are going to discuss whether this is a real job and how valuable it is to a company , etc...

if it's just about individuals or what the job means or how to get this job and what are the qualifications, etc...
then it belongs elsewhere, imo..

we live in the era of self-promotion which popularized the phrase "don't judge me" :rolleyes:

my initial thought was to place this in BTL and use this more as a reference guide in the form of a pinned thread but at the same time i wanted to create a place for those with insider or first-hand knowledge of social media in the context of design and fashion.

i did consult a forum mod before placing this thread here but if there's a strong consensus on a more suitable home for this thread i'm open to any and all ideas and most importantly contributions to getting this thread going!

honestly i find the majority of social media run by sites like bazaar, nordstrom, urban outfitters, even intothegloss very reactive and see the same content on smaller, lesser known sites such as TFS waaaay before it's picked up and re-hashed on these well-known sites.

BUT this is the wave of the future, or rather this our current internet reality. I wanted a place to highlight 'cutting-edge' websites where the information shared one couldn't get on every.other.website. i.e site unique.

OR present information in a unique, thoughtful, and visually exciting way. it's kind of surprising how clunky some fashion centered websites are!

and also credit consciously! i've noticed many popular fashion/ beauty sites do not link and site their sources. which i find appalling/ disappointing but that's a whole nother topic.

i realize that this topic may not take off due to the fact that Social Media Directors are most commonly behind the scenes and as of now it's not insta google search result for this role.

the internet feeds off what's trending and what's already popular. Ten zillion results for Carine Roitfeld. A page at best for hugely influential British fashion sylist Anna Cockburn. even with the endless amounts of information there are limitations....until sites like TFS bring these personalities to the forefront.

however by initiating this topic TFS can influence the world wide web. one look at tumblr, Pinterest, flickr, and even listen to Top 40 radio lyrics it's pretty amazing how influential TFS truly is thanks to it's unique content and contributors....to think Anna Wintour revolutionized US VOGUE by crediting the fashion stylists and editors....

i remember a couple of interesting interviews from teenVOGUE about 20 something social media directors which i will track down and post. Ideally these will be fleshed out be personal experiences and opinions and insights from other tfsers.

Perhaps we can shift the focus onto Social Media sites and credit the individuals whenever possible? Either way I hope this thread can be a place to share and learn about social media and it's influence on fashion, design, consumers and YOU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanillaCrush
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->