Tanya Ling - Fashion Illustrator

Bengt

Reaction score
Tanya Ling is an artist and designer who is best known as a fashion illustrator. Born in Calcutta (1966), her childhood was spent in America, Africa and England. She now lives and works in London. Ling studied Fashion Design and Textiles at St Martins School of Art and after graduating in 1989 moved to Paris to work as a designer for Dorothee Bis and then for Christian Lacroix.

On return to London she set up a contemporary art project ‘Bipasha Ghosh’ with her husband William Ling and in 1996 produced her first exhibition of drawings in Gavin Turk's studio on the Charing Cross Road. This exhibition led to her first commission from British Vogue. Since then, Ling has contributed to leading fashion titles throughout the world including Harper’s Bazaar and US Elle, for whom she illustrated six, award winning, trend reports (1999 -2001). Ling has also contributed to non mainstream titles such as Zoo, Tank and literary magazine The Idler. Commercial commissions include work for Diane Von Furstenberg, Jil Sander, Louis Vuitton, Selfridges and Harrods.

In 2002 Ling produced her debut ready-to-wear collection, which was presented at London’s premier pop art and surrealist gallery, The Mayor Gallery on Cork Street. The collection was featured in the windows of Henri Bendel on 5th Avenue, New York where the collection was sold. British Vogue named Ling one of the most important trendsetters in Britain and in 2003 The Observer Magazine announced her as their designer of the year. Her A/W 2003 collection was shown at the Institute of Contemporary Arts in London.
Ling has exhibited her fashion illustrations in international exhibitions and with artist, Georgie Hopton presented ‘Beautiful Drawings’ to critical acclaim at The Armory New York (2000). Her work has been featured in numerous newspapers and publications including '100 Years of Fashion Illustration' published by Laurence King.
Tanya Ling's Louis Vuitton Cruise 2009 illustrations..

TLLVC1.jpg

TLLVC2.jpg

TLLVC3.jpg

TLLVC4.jpg

TLLVC5.jpg

tanyaling.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I just love Tanya Ling's aesthetic! Here's more of her illustrations:

Spring/Summer 2008

Max Mara
tanya_ling_00934_s_s.jpg

Marc Jacobs
tanya_ling_00936_s_s.jpg

tanya_ling_00939_s_s.jpg

Viktor & Rolf
tanya_ling_00938_s_s.jpg

Gucci
tanya_ling_00942_s_s.jpg

Chanel
tanya_ling_00995_s_s.jpg

Helmut Lang
tanya_ling_00998_s_s.jpg

Junya Watanabe
tanya_ling_01000_s_s.jpg

tanyaling.com

Tanya Ling's Fall/Winter 2008 illustrations:

Yves Saint Laurent
tanya_ling_01072_tl_il.jpg

tanya_ling_01077_tl_il.jpg

DSquared
tanya_ling_01073_tl_il.jpg

Fendi
tanya_ling_01074_tl_il.jpg

Jill Sander
tanya_ling_01075_tl_il.jpg

Chanel
tanya_ling_01078_tl_il.jpg

tanya_ling_01079_tl_il.jpg

Lanvin
tanya_ling_01080_tl_il.jpg

tanyaling.com

oh, my god im freakin out! they are amazing, and love the video!
thanks again for posting, so inspiring.

It's cute!
The paint itself has a life in her work
it's very thick and lush

the Viktor & Rolf logo is dead on ^^

thanks for the thread Bengt!

I just love Tanya Ling!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, really inspiring video! Thanks for posting. Her skills are so impressive - love every single one of her illustrations!

i like the way she used her medium in particular illustrations but her style itself is not something i fancy. it does have it's own flavor
but like something piccaso said, the older we get, the harder it is for us to imitate child-likeness. than again, i dont really wish to imitate child-likeness

Bottega Venetta
bottega.jpg
bottega2.jpg

Chanel
chanel.jpg
chanel2.jpg

Chloe
chloe.jpg

Christian Dior
dior.jpg

Karl Lagerfeld
lagerfeld.jpg