1879-1944 Paul Poiret

Reaction score
Pour moi collection Finale at college, we have to make a wedding dress (as it seems that my ex-tutor didn't know the meaning of the word "collection").
Anyway, I've decided to use Paul Poiret as (one of) my influence.
I wondered if anyone here might know of any useful (and preferabely highly illustrated!) websites/books etc that aren't found by simply typing "paul poiret" into google -done that!! :smile:
Also, anything or anyone connected with him. Gearges Lepape, Leon Bakst etc as, I've not delved too deep yet, so most will be insightful and helpful!
I'm also looking for any striking imagery of India-in particular images with strong,rich colours.
Any help is much appreciated.

Hmmm i did something similar though my influence was madeline vionet erm try these books:

Couture: then and now 3 centuries of womens clothing (i forgot the author sorry:blush: )

and FASHION the collection of the kyoto costume institute a history from the 18th to the 20th century (not sure the author again:blush: )

:flower:

maskedmannequin said:
I'm also looking for any striking imagery of India-in particular images with strong,rich colours.

Although you will find "strong, rich colours" just about anywhere in India, two places come to mind in terms of color. The first is Jaipur the "pink city" and the second is Jodhpur the "blue city"...I would try searching for images of these places. Good luck!

Yeah john Galliano went to Jaipur to get inspiration for his f/w 04 collection:D (though i hate his work this spring / summer :angry: )

WOW that was a quick response...!
Thanks! The blue/pink cities sounds very interesting I'll look them up.

"and FASHION the collection of the kyoto costume institute a history from the 18th to the 20th century (not sure the author again"

I have that book!! :smile:
Only mine's in French...and (as you could probably guess from my original post, I'm not amazing at French!). Pressie from Paris.

This is a great little book (in case you haven't seen it...) It just cost around 6 euros but there are alot of nice pictures..

:( You better not read about him, his story is so tragic I think, it makes me sad in some way..

emi25 said:
:wink: Here it comes..
I love the illustrations at around that time. Definately my favourit era in terms of fashion illustration. Georges Lepape's are gorgeous too.

i also had to do a research job about all the fashion eras... i love poiret and vionnet, without them we wouldn´t have our contemporary p/v john galliano, or we could have had galliano but in a very different way, well... i found on the net a page filled with vogue covers from those years, that where illustrations and there you can find pictures from george lepape and so many others (galliano´s favourite ilustrator is eduardo garcia benito) and you can surelly tell by watching some of his ilustrations and watching the make-up of his georgeous fall 04 collection with poiret and benito influeces (mixed with teddy boys), for all galliano fans i think is a very interesting page to take a lok at...

http://www.condenastart.com/search_results.asp?mscssid=2VX048WDG4HE9HXXH6LUTKXJ1L1S9M28&search_type=2%2C7%2C8&artist=Georges+Lepape

or www.condenastart.com

(i hope as always i didn´t arrived late...)

the jeanne lanvin thread inspired me to bump this ...
orient5.gif

http://www.thecityreview.com/
"1002nd Night" Dress Ensemble with Turban, by Paul Poiret, circa 1911, silver lamé and green gauze dress with harem pants and wired panniers; trimmed with blue and green foil, gold metal beads, and faceted celluloid beads in shades of blue, green, red and yellow, The Costume Institute, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Purchase, Irene Lewisohn Trust Gift, 1983

009330_a.jpg

http://www.kci.or.jp/
Paul Poiret
Woman’s Party Costume

Label: PAUL POIRET-a Paris-December 1913

Black silk gauze hooped over-dress with gold floral embroidery; belt with gold embroidery; gold fringe; gold lamé silk harem pants with ball ornament at side-hems.

Fantastic images Estella! :heart:

Wasn't there a rumour a while back that the house of Poiret would be revived soon? Or was that another classic French house :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CREATIVERESEARCH
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->