About Your Portfolio, for Applying to Fashion School and After Graduation

How many collections should be in a portfolio? What if you're applying for Textiles (which is what I'm leaning towards)?

^hey! cool! educo me too. i'm taking Textiles this fall. i've already been accepted :D
you should probably ask your school or read their website to find out how many. at mine, it was up to 10 pieces (of any kind of art, with emphasis on 2D). other schools i've applied for in the past asked for 15-20.

Oh, right.. did you include collections featuring your textile designs, or did you just display separate textile designs individually?

I displayed them separately because I was only allowed to show up to 10 pieces. If I did a collection, that might mean each piece of that collection will count as one piece.:unsure:
I actually didn't have any textiles in my portfolio, but several of my paintings/drawings were designed in a way that they could be used as prints for textiles. I also showed them a few things not in my portfolio, like a piece I made in a saori weaving class I took outside of high school. It was so they would know I had been interested in textiles for a while. I would have showed them some clothing I made too, but I didn't have anything exciting ^_^

God i'm going to be applying to csm this coming school year...they ask for 25-50...i have like 10.... and only about 5 months... any tips?
i need fine art stuff also... what about design sketches? what makes them finished? i use prismacolours and stuff..but they what makes them complete? any ideas? with photography also.... i'm stressed!!!! thanks for your help.

Hi, just found this little piece and came to think of this thread... It's from the jury of the its#five competition, and this particulary applies to the portfolios designers sent in to be judged for this competition, meaning they already have a finished collection. But I thought it was kind of well said, and maybe it could be helpful for anyone setting up a portfolio to apply for a school or a job.

--//It is very sad though when portfolios don't include all the requested material or are difficult to read and understand. The jury can do nothing but reject them: if they can't see photos of the collection or of previous work, if the material inside is not easy to read or all messed up, it becomes very difficult for them to understand the project. Sometimes they see incredible illustrations by people who do not put one single photo in their portfolio to prove how they work, their technical ability and if they are able to translate in reality what they draw.
It looks as though too often the young creatives forget that if they want to show what they are capable of, they have to do it in a clear and complete way. When we ask you for all of those things in the enrollment regulations, it's not because we want to make things difficult for you or discourage you, it's the exact contrary!! It's because we know that if you don't organise your portfolio in a clear and complete way, the jurors will just be forced to reject your projects, since they are not able to fully understand it. Too often we open portfolios and see glimpses of what might be an amazing project, and then they are rejected simply because there are no photos at all...when you express your creativity you have to express it in a clear and complete way if you want other people to judge it!//--

itsweb.org

Tips

1. A portfolio is like an advertisement of your work. It best represents or gives testimony to your talents, skills and problem solving abilities. Here are some tips that should help you prepare for and organize a successful portfolio.
  2. Make sure the portfolio includes your name, mailing address, phone number, and high school.
  3. All pieces should reflect your capacity for original and creative thinking.
  4. All pieces should demonstrate your knowledge and age-level mastery of media and techniques.
  5. It is extremely important to show variety and flexibility in your approaches to art.
  6. You should only select pieces you feel proud to show. Do not include mediocre work as filler. Never include work of lesser quality just because the idea was good.
  7. Limit the number of pieces to between ten and twenty. Remember quality is more important than quantity.
  8. Do not include pieces that need explanations.
  9. Avoid choosing pieces that are messy, dog-eared, wrinkled, torn or show poor craftsmanship in any way.
  10. Include sketchbooks. They demonstrate one's creative capacity as well as drawing skills.
  11. Photostats and blueprints are suitable reproductions, however, tracings and photocopies are not.
  12. Include pieces that show you have a grasp on color theory, proportion, linear and atmospheric perspective.
  13. Include pieces that show accurate rendering of transparency, reflection and texture: plastic and glass objects, metal tins, tools, mirrors, dried flowers, seashells, animals, feathers, etc.
  14. Do not include more than two cartoon or comic book images and be sure they are completely original.
  15. Include character studies of real people, young and old.
  16. Include studies showing the figure in action, other than comic book figures.
  17. Include pieces with objects or subjects having complex interior contours and negative spaces: bird cage, rocking chair with rungs, houseplant, room interior, items in a catch-all drawer, laced shoes, etc.
  18. Include pieces that presented a challenge to you. Here are some examples:
    • An overhead view of an open container holding an object of personal importance.
    • An image that conveys a "caged in" feeling.
    • An album cover depicting someone's life.
    • Two unrelated objects juxtaposed in a way that suggests a possible relationship.
    • Two circles, one inside the other. Fill the larger circle with designs that represent classical music and the smaller circle with designs that represent jazz or rock music.
    • A distorted landscape that expresses a human emotion such as anger, sorrow, jealousy or happiness.
    • An object with interesting reflections in it, i.e. chrome hub cap, metallic box, glass bottle.
    • A book cover.
    • An action figure positioned or distorted to fit the shape of a letterform.
    • A bicycle positioned at an angle showing foreshortening.
  19. Protect pencil, graphite, charcoal, chalk, conte-crayon, and pastel drawings by applying a spray fixative.
  20. Your artwork needs to be presentation worthy as well as protected. Matt or mount each piece and then wrap it in clear acetate. Do this in a consistent manner - if you mount one piece on white board, do so for the rest. Protected pieces can be stored and carried in a large, poster-board envelope. An easier alternative is to buy a zippered case that holds black pages in plastic sleeves. Flat artwork can be placed in each sleeve easily. The black page provides a nice frame. These and similar portfolio cases are available in many sizes at your local art or office supply store.
  21. If you have created original films, textiles, sculpture, jewelry, photographs or digital art pieces, consider them for your portfolio. You will stand out from the majority of students; not all schools offer such processes.
  22. Do not include framed pieces or three-dimensional pieces. Take photos or slides of them instead. Digital shots aren't usually accepted because of the possibility of manipulation.
    • If you can not take good photos or slides, check with a local camera shop for an expert.
    • Label each photo or slide with your name, title, year of creation, medium and dimensions.
    • Place photos or slides in a plastic viewing page purchased from a photo supply store.
  23. Sequence pieces in an organized or "story board" fashion.
    • Choose a dramatic piece as the first in the sequence; you want to get the attention of the judges or school admission staff.
    • Include a few undeniably traditional pieces that show your competence in drawing.
    • Group similar pieces together, however, do not show too many pieces of the same problems.
    • Partway through, present a different style or approach, for example, switch from traditional to abstract.
    • Save the best piece for last; you want to leave them with a good impression.
  24. Discuss the completed portfolio with your art teacher or professional artist you know and respect. He/she will look at it objectively, possibly seeing strengths and weaknesses you did not. Bring your portfolio to college fairs and ask prospective schools for their suggestions.
  25. Remember, you can always add to or change the portfolio depending on the expectations of the school you are interested in attending (or employer, if you are planning to work in the field directly after graduation).
from http://www.ncusd203.org/north/depts/art/portfolo.htm

I've noticed that many of you have mentioned using croquis. I always thought drawings done, using a croquis, were sort of like cheating and were not supposed to go into a portfolio. I dont know where I got this idea but because I've thought this, I've been spending too much time perfecting my figure drawing and not focusing on my designs and the actual clothing. So my question is, Is it ok to use a croquis in a drawing for a portfolio?

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, I know that better is to show original drawings in portfolio, but many of my drawings are 50/70 cm, so I think at school they will accept photocopies?

Last edited by a moderator:
uberQuirkiness said:
God i'm going to be applying to csm this coming school year...they ask for 25-50...i have like 10.... and only about 5 months... any tips?
i need fine art stuff also... what about design sketches? what makes them finished? i use prismacolours and stuff..but they what makes them complete? any ideas? with photography also.... i'm stressed!!!! thanks for your help.

they dont ask you for anything you just show what you think needs to be shown oh i think they asked for life drawing though. most of my portfolio was fine art stuff from my course you're sketches dont have to be finished infact i think they prefer them when they're rough to see how you work.

i dont know if this is the right place but I'm a photographer trying to get my portfolio together...i was wondering if anyone knew where to get the leather books where your name is printed on the front??

thanks!

You're welcome, it's funny 'cause I just got mine today... "Portfolio book" from House Of Portfolios, Black leather w. blind stamping. Safe choice, but I love it, looks super-pro^_^

VICTIM said:
they dont ask you for anything you just show what you think needs to be shown oh i think they asked for life drawing though. most of my portfolio was fine art stuff from my course you're sketches dont have to be finished infact i think they prefer them when they're rough to see how you work.[/quote

thanks victim! how many pieces did you have?

Hi guys
I'm a sort of new here and since I was seven years old it has been my dream to become a fashion designer...now 10 years later I'm gonna try to achieve this dream and I applied to several fashion schools.
Though I know this study is "the one" for me I'm freaked out for the intake-conversations and everything.
Today I went out to buy a portfolio size A3 and I spread out all my drawings, photos, designs and all other stuff around the house. Our house is one big mess right now...it's unbelieveable what you can do in ten years :o
Anyway I know people always say you have to show your favourite works and show how large your working range with specific projects is...the problem is I don't know how many pieces my portfolio has to be...and do you think I should add my nature photography too? I hope you guys can give me some tips on everything, like how to make a descent portfolio, and intake-conversations (I'm soo nerveous for that), how I should dress on "the day".
I really wanna get in that academy but it's really hard...only 35 of the 500 applications get excepted.
I would appreciated if you could help out!!
Thanking you in advance!!

Caroline89 said:
Hi guys
I'm a sort of new here and since I was seven years old it has been my dream to become a fashion designer...now 10 years later I'm gonna try to achieve this dream and I applied to several fashion schools.
Though I know this study is "the one" for me I'm freaked out for the intake-conversations and everything.
Today I went out to buy a portfolio size A3 and I spread out all my drawings, photos, designs and all other stuff around the house. Our house is one big mess right now...it's unbelieveable what you can do in ten years :o
Anyway I know people always say you have to show your favourite works and show how large your working range with specific projects is...the problem is I don't know how many pieces my portfolio has to be...and do you think I should add my nature photography too? I hope you guys can give me some tips on everything, like how to make a descent portfolio, and intake-conversations (I'm soo nerveous for that), how I should dress on "the day".
I really wanna get in that academy but it's really hard...only 35 of the 500 applications get excepted.
I would appreciated if you could help out!!
Thanking you in advance!!

I can't really answer all of your questions, but usually the school expects specific content to be included in your portfolio. They usually specify the number of drawings, and even what the drawings are of, so you really need to look into that when putting together your portfolio. Also sometimes when you submit your portfolio they don't return it, and they also sometimes accept only original drawings, so if you put in your favourites you A) probably won't get them back, and B) will only be able to submit them to one school.

Now I have some questions! I need to make a 10 piece portfolio type thing to apply for school, it needs to include fashion drawings, graphic design elements, two sketchbook pages, a finished garment etc. Do you think it would be better to demonstrate the full process of desiging and constructing my garment in my portfolio, or to put in a bunch of different things? Like for the graphic design they say you could make like an advertisement, or a clothing label, so I was thinking I could develop my ideas in the sketchbook pages, draw the garment for one of the fashion drawings, design a label and an advertisement for the two graphic designs, and then actually make the garment for the picture of the clothing? :huh:

I'm really curious...for everyone with these fabulous portfolios hoping to attend design school...how exactly did you learn how to do all of this? Did you take some portfolio preparation classes and fashion illustration classes? What sort of art classes did you feel was helpful (figure drawing, life drawing, fashion illustration, general drawing, etc)? The portfolios look so good O___O...how many years did it take?
As a high school sophomore, I'm a bit interested in fashion design, but I have no idea how to get started and no idea how one achieves a nice portfolio like all of yours.

diorable said:
I'm really curious...for everyone with these fabulous portfolios hoping to attend design school...how exactly did you learn how to do all of this? Did you take some portfolio preparation classes and fashion illustration classes? What sort of art classes did you feel was helpful (figure drawing, life drawing, fashion illustration, general drawing, etc)? The portfolios look so good O___O...how many years did it take?
As a high school sophomore, I'm a bit interested in fashion design, but I have no idea how to get started and no idea how one achieves a nice portfolio like all of yours.

I'm currently on the BA Womenswear at LCF. My portfolio to get on to my current course was so thin!!! Some students had 10 pages...some had even more . I only had 6.5 pages. ha ha...in my case, as i was told at the interview, <both foundation and degree> i had qualit that quantity could never surpass. that, and the fact that i have ideas. I am mouldable.the best part, i am not super creative. I know it and they can see it. I have no splashes of paint or rips or collage or applique or whatever those super creative ppl like to do to their work. MIne is simple creativity. straight and precise. Illustrations were done with markers. front and back of garment. the only work in my portfolio that had different mediums were my lifedrawing. other than that...plain and simple for me. my course director even remembered me after i came back from summer hols!!! there are plenty of cases when they don't let students in because they know too much. They seem to like students that can be moulded into something new. so, good luck!!!

I'm putting everything together for my FIT application and for a different school I put everything into a presentation book (no spiral, just a spine with 20 top-loading plastic sleeves). However, I was just reading the mail-in instructions for FIT and it notes specifically that "PORTFOLIO CASES or BINDERS of ANY KIND" should not be sent.

Does my presentation book fall into that category? How else would I submit my work? I'd appreciate any suggestions as I'm dying to just send it off ASAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brky1907
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->