• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Artists and Their Muses

Perickles

Reaction score
I'm looking for those women who were real muses. Yes, I want to know more women like these. They are extremely beautiful and expressive, and they were immortalized by the greatest artists of the history. I think they're totally admirable.

Lina Franziska Fehrmann
- Ernst Ludwig Kirchner's Muse
lina_franziska_fehrmann.jpg

internetweekly.org
tumblr_ljagdwa7OZ1qdy7vgo1_500.jpg

regardintemporel - tumblr

Fränzi vor geschnitztem Stuhl and Marzella, respectively
kirchpaint.jpg

imomus.com

Kiki de Montparnass
- Man Ray's Muse

724.jpg

yellowkorner.com
kikidemontparnasseeyes.gif

epimenta-wordpress

Lee Miller
- Man Ray's Muse
lee+miller+man+ray+1930.jpg

shesinvogue-blogspot
tumblr_mdakhmBlOd1qzuruio1_1280.jpg

selfishqueen - tumblr

Lilya Brik - Rodchenko's Muse and many other. She reminds me of Theda Bara.
By Vladimir Mayakovsky
-371531-photo-large-1.jpg

kievrus.com.ua
5icz6myii3vkmz.jpg

revistaculturalvulture.com
arts-graphics-2008_1183342a.jpg

telegraph.co.uk

And the well known Lisa Gherardini - Da Vinci's Muse

"A Mona Lisa brasileira" (The Brazilian Mona Lisa) Street art by TARS in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
tumblr_m15vhbBfKY1rn2fvxo1_500.jpg

just-art.me

Amanda Lear - Dali's Muse
tumblr_mdlq24xLc21rjeelro1_1280.jpg

mariposima-tumblr
Amanda by David Bailey
tumblr_m11z2bCYQE1qinp4fo1_500.jpg

adambcause-tumblr

Edie Sedgwick - Andy Warhol's Muse

tumblr_lif17ryblT1qio57xo1_500.jpg

thestrutny - tumblr
EDIE_SEDGWICK.gif

bronwynrobyn - blogspot
faveandywarholediesedgwick.jpg

laurenjayxo - blogspot

Interesting thread! Artists and their muses always fascinate me in their special bond.

One that comes to mind is Pablo Picasso & Dora Maar, who was one of Pablo's mistresses.

pictured with Picasso's "The Weeping Woman" (1937)

"Dora Maar in an Armchair", "Dora Maar au chat", "Dora Maar seated"

Dora Maar encouraged Pablo to be more daring in his art, and he began experimenting with bright colors and geometric shapes.

complex.com, leblogdesovena.com, frizfreleng121.edublogs.org, aliexpress

Thanks ScarlettLover! amazing contribution. She looks so interesting and those paintings are awesome! I like Picasso, Cubism was a great art movement. The first one called "La Llorona" is one of my favorites art works ever.

And now one of my favorite muses Jane Avril, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec's Muse.

She was a French can-can dancer, nicknamed La Mélinite.

Jane_Avril.gif

wikimedia.org
foto0022p.jpg

aloj.us.es

5824261.jpg

janeavril.net

Jane Avril by Toulouse Lautrec, 1893

jane-avril-dancing-by-toulouse-lautrec.jpg

pinksalamander-wordpress

Jane Avril, 1892
jane_avril.jpg

reprodart.com

Camille Doncieux - Monet's Muse

She was Monet's wife and she was his model since 1865. She also modelled for Pierre-August Renoir and Édouard Manet. She died, probably of pelvic cancer. On 5 September 1879; Monet painted her on her death bed.

photoundatedclaudemonet.jpg

lisawallerrogers - wordpress

Camille on her Deathbed by Claude Monet, 1879
claudemonetcamillemonet.jpg

Camille on the Beach at Trouville by Claude Monet, 1870
claudemonetcamillemonet.jpg

artprintimages.com

Victorine Meurent - Manet's Muse

Victorine Louise Meurent (February 18, 1844 – March 17, 1927) was a French painter and a famous model for painters. Although she is now best known as the favourite model of Édouard Manet, she also was an artist in her own right, who exhibited repeatedly at the prestigious Paris Salon. She also modeled for Edgar Degas, Alfred Stevens, Norbert Goeneutte and Toulouse-Lautrec. She was nicknamed as La Crevette (The Shrimp).

victorinemeurent.jpg

blog.joinsmsn.com
Olympia by Manet, 1863

olympia.jpg

mtholyoke.edu

Le Déjeuner sur l'Herbe by Manet, 1862–1863

paintings-by-edouard-manet-1.jpg

entertainment.howstuffworks.com

The Railway by Manet, 1872
railway.jpg

math.vt.edu

Palm Sunday
by Victorine Meurent, (is the only surviving example of her work), c. 1880s
Le_jour_des_rameaux.jpg

wikipedia.org

Wally - Schiele's Muse

Valerie Neuzil best known as Wally was the muse and the lover of Austrian expressionist Egon Schiele. Egon met her in 1911 when she was 17 years old and then she was a model for a number of Schiele's most striking paintings.

600full-wally-neuzil.jpg

listal.com
tumblr_lwe43aYLVK1qf43odo1_500.jpg

egonschiele-tumblr

Porträt von Wally,
ED-AL909_wally_G_20100726173337.jpg

online.wsj.com
Wally in Red Blouse With Raised Knees, 1912
VALERIE3.jpg

elbamboso-blogspot
Woman in Black Stockings, 1913
valerie_neuzil.jpg

lavidaenfillmore-wordpress

Seated woman with bent knee, 1917
schielesitzendefraumith.jpg

thethoughtexperiment - wordpress

Lydia Delectorskaya - Matisse’s Russian Muse

lydia-with-dress.jpg

artmodel.wordpress
0_10b030_533951e1_L.jpg

beautifulrus.com
c.jpg

henri-matisse.net
83949980523556040_3SVgUwuV_c.jpg

pinterest-Gigi Stoll

Portrait of Lydia Delectorskaya, 1947
0_10b02b_5b54e1e9_L.jpg

beautifulrus.com
Young Woman in a Blue Blouse, 1939
0_10b028_be2443c6_L.jpg

beautifulrus.com

Adele Bloch-Bauer - Gustav Klimt's Muse

She was the only person to be painted twice by Klimt.

Klimt-Adele-Bloch.jpg

kingsgalleries.com
1197070253_extras_noticia_2_0.jpg

elmundo.es

Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I, 1907

This painting, which took three years to complete, was commissioned by the wealthy industrialist Ferdinand Bloch-Bauer, who made his money in the sugar industry. Ferdinand Bloch-Bauer favored the arts, especially Klimt, and commissioned him to complete another portrait of his wife Adele in 1912. Adele Bloch-Bauer was the only person to be painted twice by Klimt. This painting is perhaps most famous not for its artistic quality, but because of its scandalous history since inception. Upon her death, Adele Bloch-Bauer wished the painting to be given to the Austrian State Gallery, but it was seized by advancing German forces in World War II. In 1945, Ferdinand Bloch-Bauer designated the paintings to be the property of his nephew and nieces, including Maria Altmann. Nonetheless, the Austrian government retained ownership of the painting, and was not returned to the Altmann family until 2006 after a long court battle. The painting was then sold at auction for $135 million dollars, which at that time was the highest price paid at auction for a painting. It is now displayed the Neue Art Gallery in New York. Wikipaintings.org

portrait-of-adele-bloch-bauer-i(1).jpg!Blog.jpg

wikipaintings.org

Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer II, 1912

Adele Bloch-Bauer II is a 1912 painting by Gustav Klimt. Adele Bloch-Bauer was the wife of Ferdinand Bloch-Bauer, who was a wealthy industrialist who sponsored the arts and supported Gustav Klimt. Adele Bloch-Bauer was the only model to be painted twice by Klimt; she also appeared in the much more famous Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I. Adele's portraits had hung in the family home prior to their seizure by the Nazis during WWII. The Austrian museum where they resided after the war was reluctant to return them to their rightful owners, hence a protracted court battle in the United States and in Austria (see Republic of Austria v. Altmann)ensued, which resulted in five Gustav Klimt paintings being returned to Maria Altmann, the niece of Ferdinand Bloch-Bauer, in January 2006. In November 2006, Christie's auction house sold "Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer II" at auction for almost $88 million, the fourth-highest priced piece of art at auction at the time. Wikipedia.org

Portrait-of-Adele-Bloch-Bauer-II.jpg

realitypod.com

Charis Wilson | Edward Weston's Muse

Charis Wilson, was the muse and wife of the photographer Edward Weston. She was the subject of many of his best-known nude portraits.

popup-v2.jpg
source | nytimes

weston_charis1.jpg weston3.jpg
source | edward-weston

Lella | Edward Boubat's Muse

Very much in love, Lella acted as Boubat's muse through much of his early career, marrying soon after this image was taken. The photographs of Lella were taken at the beginning of his career when he moved away from photojournalism to more humanistic photography.

4361682.jpg
bloomsburyauctions

picture.jpg tumblr_lticvx8Fj21qahuhjo1_500.jpg
source | artnet, yama-bato.tumblr

6246.jpg edouard-boubat-lella-walking-on-beach-photographs-silver-print.jpg
source | piasa.auction.fr, artnet

Georgia O'Keeffe | Alfred Stieglitz's Muse

"Stieglitz photographed me first at his gallery '291' in the spring of 1917. . . . My hands had always been admired since I was a little girl—but I never thought much about it. He wanted head and hands and arms on a pillow—in many different positions. I was asked to move my hands in many different ways—also my head—and I had to turn this way and that. . . . Stieglitz had a very sharp eye for what he wanted to say with the camera. . . . His idea of a portrait was not just one picture. His dream was to start with a child at birth and photograph that child in all of its activities as it grew to be a person and on throughout its adult life. As a portrait it would be a photographic diary."

Georgia O'Keeffe, 1978

hb_1997.61.19.jpg hb_1997.61.25.jpg
source | metmuseum.org

2006BB4568_georgia_okeeffe_1918_alfred_stieglitz.jpg 2006BB4570_georgia_okeeffe_1918_alfred_stieglitz.jpg

2006BB4566_georgia_okeeffe_1928_alfred_stieglitz.jpg
source | vam.ac.uk

Lisa Fonssagrives-Penn | Irving Penn's Muse

"I’m just a good clothes hanger.” Humble words, indeed, considering the speaker was model Lisa Fonssagrives, one of the most elegant women ever to wear a dress. She was at the height of her career in 1949 when Time put her on its cover. Fonssagrives was by then known to women nationwide as the face that sold them everything from hair dye to haute couture. Commanding a rate of $40 an hour when other top models topped out around $25, Fonssagrives was “a billion-dollar baby with a billion-dollar smile and a billion-dollar salesbook in her billion-dollar hand,” the magazine gushed. “She is the new goddess of plenty.”

She was also the apple of Irving Penn’s eye. “Yes, yes, YES!” Time’s reporter recorded Vogue’s star lensman murmuring excitedly during a photo shoot with Fonssagrives. “That’s so beautiful . . .” Photographer and muse had met two years before, at Penn’s memorable “12 Beauties” sitting for Vogue. It was a coup de foudre for Penn, who placed his future wife at the center of the composition, a delicate ice-carved swan. Fonssagrives—whose marriage to the dancer-photographer Fernand Fonssagrives was by then dissolving—would marry Penn in the summer of 1950, just after he photographed her in the fall collections in an old top-floor studio in Paris.

There, under the pristine north light favored by artists for its neutrality and evenness, Penn posed his models, cinched and trussed in the latest couture confections, against a mottled gray nineteenth-century theater curtain. Spread across two issues that September, the groundbreaking fashion portfolio marked a stark departure from the elaborately staged sets favored by the likes of Cecil Beaton, for whom Fonssagrives posed only once. (“I really wasn’t his type,” she said.)

But she was definitely Penn’s. The two shared a similar stripped-down sensibility: Penn didn’t go in for props or fantasy settings, instead believing that the subject itself was powerful enough to drive the shot; he focused intently on making images that “burn on the page” (as Allene Talmey, a Vogue features editor, once put it). Though often dressed to the nines, the Swedish-born Fonssagrives was a barefoot soul who liked to swim in the nude. She was comfortable enough in her well-toned, slender body—her Barbie-doll waist could be cinched to a mere seventeen inches—to bare all before the camera, daringly sunbathing naked at the edge of a cliff; or pensive and fragile behind a harp’s long strings.

From her first test shots with Horst P. Horst in 1936, Fonssagrives had studied the nuances of modeling—“Making a beautiful picture is making art, isn’t it?” she asked—with a photographer’s eye, observing the way light hit the dress she was wearing as well as its drape. Then, with a discipline and dramatic flair learned from years of dance, she would stand in front of the camera and, as she once put it, “concentrate my energy until I could sense it radiate into the lens.” She called it “still dancing.”

Fonssagrives was by 1950 a consummate professional, at the age of 39 having modeled for fourteen years for top talents like Horst and Erwin Blumenfeld, who in 1939 snapped her in a flowing Lucien Lelong dress swinging gaily from an Eiffel Tower girder for French Vogue. (A bit of a daredevil, Fonssagrives flew planes and zoomed into Manhattan for modeling jobs in her red-upholstered Studebaker convertible, collecting tickets all the way.)

“There was a gravitas about her that imposed admiration and respect,” Condé Nast’s editorial director Alexander Liberman once said. Fonssagrives turned her body into an exquisite sculpture. She wore Balenciaga’s beige wool duvetyn mantle coat, its arms laddered with giant folds, as a Queen would her cape—her eyebrows arching over expressive cat eyes and high, planed cheeks. A slight twist of her torso gave Rochas’s mermaid sheath the sinuous motion of a sea siren, as she flicked her mer-tail of rustling silk taffeta.

“I was a sculptor all my life,” said Fonssagrives-Penn, who had a successful second career in that field. “I was a form in space.”

Lisa-Fonssagrives-Penn-hero.jpg penn47m24oi.jpg
source | vogue, christies

97_1120n.jpg 108055_578119.jpg
source | showstudio, artic.edu

Peggy Guggenheim - Muse of the Modern Art

"I am furious when I think of all the men who slept with me while thinking of other men who have slept with me before."

Peggy was a lifelong lover of art and artists, most notably recognized by her eggplant shaped nose, the result of a botched nose job. (She requested it look, to quote Tennyson's Idylls of the King, "tip-tilted like the petal of a flower." After the incident, Jackson Pollock reportedly said that you would have to put a towel over Guggenheim's head to have sex with her. But this didn't keep Peggy down! When asked by an interviewer how many husbands she had, Guggenheim replied: "Do you mean mine, or other people's?" At her gallery she showed Marcel Duchamp, Jean Cocteau, Jean Arp, Wassily Kandinksy, Yves Tanguy, and Wolfgang Paalen-- and is said to have slept with most of them. She also had an affair with Samuel Beckett and married Max Ernst. A final great Peggy quote: "I am furious when I think of all the men who slept with me while thinking of other men who have slept with me before." huffingtonpost.com

image+courtesy+of+the+peggy_guggenheim+collection.jpg

glamourshoescocktail-blgospot
Peggy-Guggenheim-Venice-14.jpg

blog.stylesight.com
peggy2.jpg

lagraphicdesign -wordpress

Peggy by Man Ray, 1924 - 1925

Dress by Paul Poiret
tumblr_m96oufq42t1qg8r34o1_500.jpg

miklem - tumblr
tumblr_lhzabedAvm1qfsi4yo1_500.jpg

fydarkroom - tumblr
avot52.jpg

violetchicdreams - blogspot
paris3.jpg

bloggedcharityfashionshow.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeanne Hébuterne - Amedeo Modigliani's muse

jeanne.jpg

modernartconbsulting.ru

98a387031d52512b4bb70ca4de8a9a7f.jpg

dailyartmagazine.com

She had one daughter with Modigliani and committed suicide, while she was pregnant, after the artist's death. She was also an artist herself.

WhatsApp-Image-2018-04-17-at-08.28.22-504x600.jpeg

Jeanne Hébuterne by Modigliani, 1919
tgtourism.tv

jeanne-hebuterne-1919.jpg

Amedeo Modigliani, Jeanne Hébuterne, 1919, private collection
dailyartmagazine.com

Jeanne_He%CC%81buterne_-_Autoportrait.jpg

Jeanne Hébuterne, Self-portrait, 1918, private collection
dailyartmagazine.com

Patti Smith dedicated 'Dancing barefoot' to her

Henrietta Moraes

Lucian Freud, Francis Bacon, and Maggi Hambling Muse

portrait-of-henrietta-moraes-model-and-muse-to-painter-francis-bacon-picture-id547997707

gettyimages.ca

Lucian Freud,
Girl in a Blanket, 1952

freudblanket-5565.jpg

theguardian.com

Francis Bacon, Portrait of Henrietta Moraes, 1963

article-0-11BC44E9000005DC-809_634x770.jpg

dailymail.co.uk

Study of Henrietta Moraes; full-face, over life size, seen from below the lips to the forehead. 7 June 1998 Charcoal by Maggi Hambling

AN00195317_001_l.jpg

britishmuseum.org

^ Thanks Sailor :heart:

Celia Birtwell, David Hockney's muse

Mr and Mrs Clark and Percy 1970/1971

David-Hockney-Mr-Mrs-Clark.jpg

moma.co.uk

news-graphics-2006-_627981a.jpg

telegraph.co.uk

I'm curious... why is a woman considered muse when so many of these women were artists, notable artists with exceptional talent, many of whom actually created the artwork attributed to the male artist? Who writes art history that women are still seen as less than?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prodigal96
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->