Becoming a Buyer?

Hi clarex how did you find the course? I was going to start this October but I didn't know whether it would be worth it for the money it costs

Hi clarex how did you find the course? I was going to start this October but I didn't know whether it would be worth it for the money it costs
I actually really loved the course and found it very interesting. I did Fashion Buying 1 & 2 combined into the week long course, so I have no idea if the evening classes have a different tutor, or different content though

And from having interviews etc for buying positions, people generally seems to recognise it as a qood thing to have on the C.V., for example because my undergraduate degree was not fashion related but I know I have been considered for buying jobs, or called for interview because I've had that on there - as well as experience of course.

I feel kinda stupid but-
Can someone give me a summary or explanation of what exactly a buyer is? I'm really curious.
TIA

Read the first page of this thread ... they discuss it there.

I actually really loved the course and found it very interesting. I did Fashion Buying 1 & 2 combined into the week long course, so I have no idea if the evening classes have a different tutor, or different content though

And from having interviews etc for buying positions, people generally seems to recognise it as a qood thing to have on the C.V., for example because my undergraduate degree was not fashion related but I know I have been considered for buying jobs, or called for interview because I've had that on there - as well as experience of course.

Just out of curiosity, before you did the short course did you have difficulty getting considered for buying positions? I want to go into buying, I did a buying placement at NEXT after I graduated with a social science degree but i've found, esp. arcadia that they only want people with fashion related degrees and instead I've had more positive responses with merchandising positions but i want to go into buying a lot more!

Fashion Mark ups & Profit

Hi, Calling any buyers who can help.

What is the mark up on high end fashion jewellrey such as Tom Binns, Fenton, Eddie Borgo etc... you get the picture. Is it Wholeale x 2.7 or higher for accessories? Also what profit margin ?

Any advice will be appreciated :heart:

Hi Lee Lee,
In my experience it is generally X 2 + Tax/Frieght.
It will depend on your location in relation to the designers head office.
International frieght is something that deters me from picking up international lines.
If you are working with product that has a higher retail price then the profit margins are quite high, alternatively if you had a low price point product you would want to be selling high volume to make it worthwhile.

Thanks for your post MsTulle85! International freight is painful - Australian duties are so high!

Thank you Ms Tulle85 that has been very helpfull. It gives me an idea now as I was very much in the dark.

Leelee:heart:

I am currently studying for a degree in Maths, but REALLY want to become a fashion buyer. Have I any hope? Would it be a good idea to do a year-long course after I graduate?

Buying is about half Math ... so yeah ... it's a skill you can use to break in. You might also consider Merchandising .... which is almost all math, and you can do it in a retail fashion environment. A merchandiser is usually the buyer's boss, in fact ... or at least they work in tandem. There's a thread about Fashion Merchandising ... do a search.

Hi:smile:

Couly anyone please describe for me the main differences between a fashion buyer and a merchandiser?
What does a fashion buyer do, and what does a merchandiser do? :flower:

Buyer (source careers.stateuniversity.com:(
Retail buyers work for retail stores, including department and variety stores, specialty shops, and chain stores. They buy the goods that a store sells to its customers. Buyers who work for large department stores usually specialize in one type of merchandise such as home furnishings. Those who work for small stores may buy a variety of merchandise, and those who work for chain stores often purchase goods for a number of the store's outlets.

Buyers must be able to choose items that are appropriate for their store and its clientele. For example, a budget department store will need low-cost goods, whereas a clothing boutique may specialize in relatively expensive clothes for young customers. Buyers usually purchase merchandise about six months before it is shown in the stores. Therefore, they must be able to anticipate trends in fashion and consumer needs.

Retail buyers familiarize themselves with available merchandise through catalogs and by traveling to trade shows that display new consumer goods. Fashion buyers attend seasonal fashion shows held by clothing manufacturers that feature the latest designer styles. In order to choose items that will sell, buyers must know their customers. They do this by examining computerized sales records and by spending time on the selling floors.

Fashion Merchandiser (source fashion-schools.org/:(
Fashion merchandisers on the apparel production side track and analyze market trends, production costs, and previous sales numbers to determine the product direction that the manufacturers will take each season. If high rise jeans are going to become the next big thing, a fashion merchandiser needs to be one of the first in the industry to spot the trend. Fashion merchandising professionals on the retail side are responsible for tracking consumer trends and the latest styles to determine store inventory and to price clothes. In addition to arranging the receiving and storage of apparel, retail merchandisers supervise the creation of visual displays and the overall appearance of the store. They may also be responsible for tracking profits and losses. Merchandisers are some of the most powerful employees within an apparel company, and they have large bottom-line and personnel management responsibilities.

Fashion merchandising is yet another popular field in the fashion industry. Fashion merchandisers practically combine marketing and advertising, with their creative and imaginative talents. They are tasked to analyze changing market trends, oversee production costs, supervise sales, and create income projections. A fashion merchandiser is also responsible for conceptualizing a fashion line appropriate for the current season.

Fashion merchandising professionals are also involved in the following duties:

• Selection of fabrics and textiles
  • Transferring of products from the designer and manufacturer to the hands of the consumers
  • Devising good marketing strategies to increase sales
  • Improve income projection through efficient advertising campaigns
  • Ensure that all fashion products are presented in a very appealing manner to entice customers
  • Anticipate customer preferences
  • produce detailed store inventories
  • Efficiently track store profits
  • Supervise the creation of store and visual displays
So, a merchandiser has more responsibility, including the profit and loss for the company which includes setting budgets, and planning production, contolling stock levels, sourcing raw materials, in addition to sometimes being responsbile for the entire look of the store. It's mostly about charts, graphs, costs and revenues, changing economic trends and knowing how to produce the right amount of product for the least amount of money and being able to sell it without overruns. It's mainly a very technical office job with management responsibilities, I would say.​

A buyer is a lower level employee, who usually selects and buys the actual merchandise (or, for a manufacturer, buys raw materials) within a budget he or she is given and is responsible for selecting the right merchandise and the right amounts to mazimize sales in the stores. So ... a buyer often answers to the company merchandiser as an important part of the team. A buyer gets to go out to trade shows, fashion shows, showrooms etc. to source the merchandise that they will buy but it's still a lot of numbers and paper work in the office, too.​

We have a thread about Fashion Merchandising: Fashion Merchandising

Last edited by a moderator:
Very informative thread! I am a buyer (although I purchase IT consulting and services for an aerospace company so...not exactly fashion :P) and I would definitely entertain the thought of switching disciplines to fashion buying & merchandising if the opportunity ever arose.

Fashion buyers - do you get freebies? I work for a company that contracts with the government so we are under a microscope about gratuities. I get taken out to coffee/lunch a lot and get tchotchkes in the mail but anything "meaningful" has to be refused or reported to our managers. But I know people who worked for Nordstrom and apparently their buyers were swimming in swag.

Hi guys
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am really interested in getting in to fashion buying or merchandising. I graduated last year with a business degree and have been really interested in this industry. I have been invited to an assessment day for an assistant merchandiser position at mothercare, however am not sure now whether i want to go into buying as i understand merchandising is more number and excel. I am gonna go for the interview for the experience, has anyone got some tips and advice on what sort of questions theyre likely to ask, as i am really nervous as i have not experience of this.
Thanks guys

I actually think that in different countries, the definition of buyer & merchandiser and their job function varies quite widely. Its definitely different in the UK, in my experience, from the definitions posted earlier.

Hi natasha87 one thing that employers look out for, and are really against, is people interviewing for merchandising positions with a view to move into buying! I know it sounds obvious but you need to make it sound like you have researched the merch. role and definitely want it, and don't get it confused with the buying role.

Fashion buyers - do you get freebies? I work for a company that contracts with the government so we are under a microscope about gratuities. I get taken out to coffee/lunch a lot and get tchotchkes in the mail but anything "meaningful" has to be refused or reported to our managers. But I know people who worked for Nordstrom and apparently their buyers were swimming in swag.
YES! One of the major perks of the job I would say.

YES! One of the major perks of the job I would say.

Thanks Clarex for your advice. I was wondering also if anyone could share the interview experiences, to give me an idea want i should expect.

I always continue to be amazed by the number of people who want to be buyers. I am slowly but surely realizing (not just from this board, but in life) how many people don't understand what the job entails. If the title was something else and not "buyer" I can guarantee hardly as many people would have hopes and dreams of becoming one.

It is nothing like shopping, nor consumer buying, and most buyers don't get to go to runway shows. An even smaller percent actually get to go to the coveted Paris fashion shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CREATIVERESEARCH
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->