Casual Suits

sandysoldier

Reaction score
I've just gotten to the point in life where I need to start picking up some suits. But.... I don't know anything about them. This summer I'm going to Europe with a friend and we are planning on hitting some of the classier establishments(clubs, restaurants, hotels etc.). So I guess what I'm looking for are some suggestions on a line of suits that are casual enough to fit right in, aren't too "uptight" looking, and still hold some class. Thanks.

Armani. Armani. More Armani. Get a woven raw-silk tie while you're at it and everyone will mistake you for Richard Gere...

Originally posted by sandysoldier@Feb 3rd, 2004 - 5:54 pm
I've just gotten to the point in life where I need to start picking up some suits. But.... I don't know anything about them. This summer I'm going to Europe with a friend and we are planning on hitting some of the classier establishments(clubs, restaurants, hotels etc.). So I guess what I'm looking for are some suggestions on a line of suits that are casual enough to fit right in, aren't too "uptight" looking, and still hold some class. Thanks.
What's your height, weight and complexion?

Helmut Lang is always a fine choice. Dior Homme, if you can fit in it. Costume National, nice cut and not as expensive as other major designers. Dries Van Noten does some nice suights too.

Id say Balmain, they are made so well, but arent too dear. A nice fit and classy, but not to uptight. Hugo Boss make some good 'casual' suits.
Even though Armani have to be my favorites, they are anything but casual! (well...sorta)

I like DKNY. I modeled my green flannel suit after one of hers that Jennifer Lopez wore in Maid In Manhattan. It's got a peacoat-style double-breasted jacket and loose-legged trousers with a single pleat on either side in front.

suitcloseup.jpg
zootfront.jpg

If I didn't sew and could afford posher clothing, I'd probably wear a lot of Donna Karan, at least for work. Chanel can be nice, too, you can dress it up or down, and their more classic stuff you can wear forever. I personally would steer away from their more boxy, old-ladyish stuff, but they do offer some good pieces.

I'd also seek out vintage. Today I am wearing a vintage jacket (mid-price retail from the 1970s--label reads Present Company...I have several outfits from them...I think they were Mervyn's in-house brand) and a vintage bias-cut plaid, tweedy wool midi-skirt, similar vintage to the jacket. If you can get your paws on some vintage Dior, YSL, or Courreges, you will be in good shape.

I think this outfit is spendid... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• slinkychi.jpg
    slinkychi.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 4
Theory has some good ones. I like thier style and the suits are so that you can dress them up or dress them down, or even wear them as separates. very versatile! Nordstrom carries this line.

I like this suit top from Lepore... :flower:

Attachments

• leporejacket.jpg
    leporejacket.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Feb 10th, 2004 - 4:41 am
I think this outfit is spendid... :rolleyes:
I agree it's one of my favourite style !!
Class, elegant :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Augustina15
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->