Choosing the color of investment items

Kurogoma

Reaction score
For a while now, I am wondering how to decide on colors of expensive items, such as designer bags, shoes...
Do you have an underlying color scheme, do you really plan your wardrobe?

I am so torn between buying a black bag, or grey, or white, or brown (but then dark or rather camel??). :ninja: I like them all! Same with shoes. I like a certain model in black, but also in white. How do I know what to get?
I don't think everything should be matchy-matchy, but somehow it should fit together. And should not be boring or look like 5 seasons ago.

How do you do this? Do you plan the colors for a season and buy only things that you can combine? What is cour current color scheme?

Thanks for any input on this matter, I want to start spring shopping!:flower:

well with really expensive items i stick to safe colours like black or grey..maybe navy, that way it won't look outdated.

sometimes you like new colours in a season but that might be because it's trendy, so stick with safe it might be boring.. but it's classic.

just_me: Thank you for the input. I am thinking a bit along those lines too, but then I see so many good combinations here, that I would not come up with myself.

Do you already consider brown not combinable enough? :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I think it depends on the brown colour. A deep chocolate brown will probably never look dated, it is a little bit like gray or black.

For me, I just go with black, white, cream, dark grey, pure red, or navy; because they are neuturals which will never go out of style. They go mostly with everything. Sometimes chocolate brown, maroon, or caramel are great choices too, but I have darker skin, they look too blend on me. If you are paler, browns are excellent!

I definitely have this problem as well, but here's how I try to deal with it:

When I think about buying basic, investment accessories (specifically, shoes and bags) I divide my wardrobe up into two categories: 1) colored clothes, and 2) black clothes or clothes with black/white print. I am pretty picky about how I wear black; I don't consider it a neutral that goes with everything and every color. When I wear black, I usually like to keep the rest of the outfit black or wear indigo blue jeans. That means that I need to have black shoes and a black bag to go with my black clothes. Similarly with my colored clothes, I prefer to have medium brown or gray accessories.

So, when I come across an investment item in multiple colors, I usually end up trying to decide between black and camel. A black bag to go with my black clothes or a camel bag to go with the rest of my clothes. In the past, I usually ended up choosing a tan colored accessory because more of my wardrobe is colored...however, I eventually realized that I had no quality black accessories to wear with my black outfits! So I promised myself that the next classic item I would buy would some nice BLACK shoes and a good BLACK bag.

I also sometimes consider chocolate brown, especially when camel isn't available. For me, it's kind of a compromise between black and camel accessories--I can sometimes get away with wearing chocolate brown with my outfits that are mostly black and with my outfits that have color. So in that sense, a dark chocolate brown accessory does double duty for me.

Something else I consider when it comes to accessories is, how fancy/dressy is my outfit? I realized that my all black outfits are usually "dressier", and therefore I like having a slightly more upscale material and style for my black bag.

I have different color preferences for expensive clothing like winter coats, but the same ideas apply.

These aren't hard and fast rules that I always follow...these are just general guidelines that help me think through buying BASIC, essential accessories..... emphasis on "basic". Most of my wardrobe isn't made up of investment pieces or basics, and usually I can be found wearing various kinds of red shoes with most of my outfits. ^_^ I have a totally different philosophy when buying most everything else....and that philosophy would be...buy what brings you the greatest joy!

Please don't think that black and camel are necessarily the best colors for you...these are the colors that I decided were best for me when looking for basic bags and shoes. Take into consideration what color schemes you often wear, whether you are dressier or more casual, and your personal coloring (hair, skin tone, etc.). And, as vain as it sounds :wink:, I recommend you spend some time in front of the mirror and studying full length photos of yourself to see what kinds of color palettes you typically gravitate towards and look best in. You might find from doing so that, although, say, white shoes look awesome with some of your outfits, you really don't wear white shoes very often and that what you actually need first and most is a pair of grey shoes that will go with 75% of your wardrobe.

Wow, this is really long....:blush:

Hope you find something in my rambling that helps :flower:.

Very interesting subjekt. Should you go with the safe colour that works with alot in your wardrobe or the more daring colour that you absolutely love? I tend to buy more "daring colours" for expensive acessories, and stick to colours like gray, white, black etc on more expensive clothes. But to be honest, this hasn't really ever been a problem to me, as i rarely have a problem choosing. I just "follow my heart".

I would say that most of my coats, footwear & bags are black, but I do have some that aren't. I have leather jackets in red, bright pink & purple. I also love coloured boots. I have 3 pairs (different styles) in pink suede (not exactly sensible for this climate), a pair of green suede knee-length & a maroon pair with a ruched front. I also have a leopard-print pair. While neutrals go with everything, I say go with what you love & you know you will get wear out of.

I'd go with why_fashion. Let's say you bought a black leather handbag... Suhali, Birkin, one of those really pretty, luxurious, hard to get, expensive ones... you take a color that will always be in fashion, which means, basically all base colors.

Now, this year it says: Metallics are IN! What can you do?

What CAN'T you do?

To go with the metallics trends, simply buy a scarf of small bracelet which is metallic. Tie it around the handles or the strap. Voila! Your handbag has something shiny on! Add some more charms in shiny!

Animal print? Same procedure.

Smooth leathers will always be there. Raw leathers not so sure.

:flower:

Wow, very interesting answers!:flower:

Well, I guess I will stick to a basic color in my upcoming bag-investment.

I just sometimes see pics or actual people who wear, say, a brown bag and black shoes. I am just not sure if I will do that successfully...

@WhiteLinen: I have a dark (chocolate) brown bag that I always find difficult to combine wit my wardrobe.
@why_fashion: right now I am hesitating between black (maybe too sensible choice), camel or cream (maybe too special, but would go with brown an black)
@dreamecho: Thanks for the long post! I don't think I can divide my wardrobe between colored an black, I only rarely wear all-black. But you are definitely right about the importance of thinking about "dressiness". Hmmm, the color I look best in is an olive green, and after the hype a couple of years ago I don't really wear it any more. But olive would match with almost anything.
@LVizo: But my heart is torn! I want them all, in all colors!
@Feline: Hmmm, I think that is best anyway, having the tried and trusted basics and some other spectacular colors. The last bag I bought was black, so I guess I should get something else...
@ Street_a_licious: Very good! that is so true! I guess that could even work if I put some black accent on my brown bag if I wear black shoes...

Do you all combine black shoes and a camel bag? Gold hardware on a bag with silver hardware on a belt?

when figuring out colors to get, with high end purchases, white is always a no-no for me with bags and shoes. Too much $$ and too high maintenance, so much that it will take away from my enjoyment of whatever is is i would buy. white leather is VERY high maintenance and i'd rather not have to worry about that.

I know many gals say tan, khaki, chocolate and black are all staples, but you really need to figure out which colors work best for you, IMHO. i find that a more redish brown is more favorable to a true chocolate brown for me. Tan doesn't work for my but cognac colors do. It's simply a trial and error thing. but you should always have a good black bag and a wicked pair of black shoes to go with them. I personally dont wear much of any colors and so subtle changes and tones and textures of neutral colors really do it for me. i have tried like hell to incorporate colored bags into my wardrobe, but it just doesn't work. all end up either for sale on ebay or i donate them. i just cant do the color thing and feel comfortable.

i also like a lot of bags, of which less would actually look good in my wardobe. when shopping, you really need to think about your most favortie things you wear, and if that possible purchase will work with what you have or compliment it. that's an important thing im just learning now. i have to think first and if the bag fits into my wardrobe, i'll get it. otherwise, it's just a style i like to look at and isn't practical for use.

and the whole silver and gold thing: i think if you match them, you can look more put together, but i dont think it's so much of a fashion-dont now-a-days. :flower:

I have trouble believing that a color can go out of style. Yes, every once in a while turquoise of whatever will get really big, but colors never have the backlash other trends to. Green, purple, yellow... there's no need to stick to just black and brown.

@jun: You are so right! It IS a big difference if I like how something looks and actually making it work with you wardrobe!
And black is a safe purchase. You are right, it is important to have this great pair of black shoes and a perfect black bag...
Right now all this is about the Chloé Bay bags, I like the quilted and the shoulder version, the black, the camel and the cream one...:cry:
@Bel: that IS also true. Few colors go completely out of fashion. But they might be difficult to combine in an "everydays" item which should ideally be worn alot... But these really bright bags are something I really like in other people. I saw a woman a year ago with this PERFECT orange bag. I never figuerd out what brand it was and it was absolutely not the right place to ask her...

Black, grey, chocolate are always safe choices, but when you have already a few black high-heeled pumps, it is maybe worth to consider something else.

My MJ Stambag and my Balenciaga city are black, my LV Monogram are brown (surprise!) and so is my Mulberry Phoebe, so I chose the Chloé Paddington in a beautiful bordeaux colour. The next bag I buy might be red, blue or green.

Kurogoma said:
@jun: You are so right! It IS a big difference if I like how something looks and actually making it work with you wardrobe!
And black is a safe purchase. You are right, it is important to have this great pair of black shoes and a perfect black bag...
Right now all this is about the Chloé Bay bags, I like the quilted and the shoulder version, the black, the camel and the cream one...:cry:

oooooh chloe bay bags are beatiful! that would make it hard, but if you could narrow it down. i personally would never spnd that kind of money on a cream or white colored bag just because the maintanance will keep me from truely being able to enjoy it. if i were you, i'd knock the cream off the list, go count up the # of black bags you own and camel ones, and get the color you have less of. so then you have a balanced collection. (and then you can save and buy the other bag in a few months :evil: :lol: )

jun3machina said:
if i were you, i'd knock the cream off the list, go count up the # of black bags you own and camel ones, and get the color you have less of. so then you have a balanced collection. (and then you can save and buy the other bag in a few months :evil: :lol: )
Hmmmm, that would make it a camel... Then I only have to decide between the shoulder and the quilted version...
And I am still having an eye on the large Ediths on LVR, if they would go down to 50%, I would consider getting a whiskey one instead. Have been stalking their site for weeks now, but they are still at 30% off.
But I should maybe better discuss this in the handbag section and not in personal style...

i'll always buy a bag or shoes or whatever in the color it looks best in to me... unless that color is very very light or white, because i, like jun, am not interested in maintaining a white leather or fabric.

i'm a firm believer in buying clothing and accessories that i fall in love with and working them in to my wardrobe. i wear the colors that i like, and so if i buy things in those colors, by the law of deduction i will wear them. :wink:

if your wardrobe consists of a lot of bright colors, or a lot of pastels, that should be of course taken into consideration... but i personally own mostly neutrals (black, grey, white, caramel, chocolate, etc) so the occasional splurge on something i adore in an offbeat color that appeals to me can add a nice little pop, and force me to bring out things in my closet that i rarely wear to coordinate, instead of the usual black-on-black. :flower:

crepebacksatin said:
... but i personally own mostly neutrals (black, grey, white, caramel, chocolate, etc) so the occasional splurge on something i adore in an offbeat color that appeals to me can add a nice little pop, and force me to bring out things in my closet that i rarely wear to coordinate, instead of the usual black-on-black. :flower:

yes! i do ths exact same thing. love yellow, some rose and green sometimes....

KUROGAMA~ get the quilted!!!!:bounce:

Good topic!

As has been said, regardless of trend I would say a good system is:
1) Get clothes in the colors that suit your complexion as a basic palette.
2) Then, get any expensive daily basics (ex:leather accessories and coats) in the darkest colors which go with/are part of your basic palette. Try to stick to one or two colors here at first.
3) Freely add color with accessories :electric blue stockings, orange belts, and cheaper bags&shoes, etc.

Other considerations:
=availablility of shoe polish in an unconventional color
=With bottoms, I get darker colors because of park benches, puddles etc. and it's more flattering.
=With formal items I can go lighter because I only wear these a few times a year, get them drycleaned, and clothes are pretty safe within cars and ballrooms.
=black is versatile; can often be both casual and formal. But it doesn't suit everyone.
=you can also go lighter on small patterns; they camouflage minor imperfections like stains, tiny rips, lint, creases, etc.
=pure white is more versatile than pale colors because you can use bleach as a last resort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->