Christian Dior Haute Couture F/W 2000.01 Paris

I wonder how the atelier felt about making this collection, because there's a notable lack of confidence in the way many of these pieces are sewn. Rippling hems, puckered seams (especially on those duchess satin/taffeta pieces), odd fabrics and awkward fits due to the extreme levels of panelling in some of the looks. It looks a little hastily made in areas.

I do love this collection though, it has a tackiness and glamourous abrasiveness akin to Joan Crawford. And I enjoy the fact that it lacks that perfection. Lets you know it's still people behind the making of the clothes and their emotions come through in the way they're made.

Seeing it again after a while, I’m finding some resemblances to Piero Tosi’s costuming for Visconti’s “The Damned”…particularly those huge hats that remind me of the ones Ingrid Thulin wears as the evil matriarch of the family. There are also a few looks that display that disturbing military fetishism which is part of the grotesque portrayal of Nazi decadence in the film.

Seeing it again after a while, I’m finding some resemblances to Piero Tosi’s costuming for Visconti’s “The Damned”…particularly those huge hats that remind me of the ones Ingrid Thulin wears as the evil matriarch of the family. There are also a few looks that display that disturbing military fetishism which is part of the grotesque portrayal of Nazi decadence in the film.
That 100% was a reference lol. It's all over the collection. I'm guessing it came into play researching the extreme pervy decadence of Berlin, hence the The Night Porter stuff too and Marlene Dietrich etc etc.

I wonder if the entirety of Visconti’s “German Trilogy” was used as a strong reference. Especially “Death in Venice” with some of the sailor references, particularly when you read about the background for Mann’s inspiration for the novel. Great accompaniment to the Kubrick references in the collection.

Even the colours allude to rather lascivious underpinnings. Green carnations, sapphic and sexual allusions of violet, pansies, lavender, rose red and whatnot.

One of Madonna's dancers during new tour Vogue performance

youtube.com/DJ Johnny Blaze

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->