Cropped fur (and faux) jackets

Meg

inspired contemplation
Reaction score
I didn't see any other trendspotting thread on 'fur' just one for fur and feather vests, so if someone else has better searching skills (I went through google) please just post and I will merge :flower:

And there will be zero tolerance for 'I hate fur!' PETA style rants in this thread. We have several other threads related to the (de)merits of wearing fur, and this is purely for trendspotting.

I started this thread because I noticed several of us have gotten fur jacket lately, either faux or vintage stores or vintage on ebay, and so clearly it's a trend among tfsers. And as tfs goes, so goes the rest of the world. :P

I'm sure we'll start seeing more on streetstyle pics once winter comes around. Anyone care to post their purchases? I haven't seen a huge influence of fur on the runway, but I see a lot of people purchasing.

Not a particularly good shot, but to get the thread rolling I'll post my purchases. Any other thoughts on this as a 'trend'?

Attachments

• Fur Coat 018 (resized).JPG
    Fur Coat 018 (resized).JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 7
^
I'll take a better pic tomorrow when I'm reunited with my jacket again. It's cropped with bracelet sleeves, and a lot the purchases I've seen have also been cropped. Here's a stylized shot from one of my fav. vintage ebay sellers with a cropped fur bomber. It's a bit big on her but you get the idea.

fur06.jpg

Libra Vintage on ebay

Some pics of things currently on offer in the style of what I've seen bought:
Anna Sui faux fur
annas2007212867_prod_medium_v1_m56577569831251338._SX201_.jpg

Juicy swing coat in faux fur:
juicy2086412224_prod_medium_v1_m56577569831220310._SX201_.jpg

shopbop.com

I think the popularity of this must have something to do with Rachel Zoe and as an extension, her clients. Fur jackets like this (especially that beige bomber style) have a kind of 70's feel to them, and that's definitely Rachel's whole thing.

Really? I've never seen her (or her clients) wear them, but I agree she definitely pushes the 70's thing and the whole cropped box jackets with bracelet sleeves are very 60's and 70's. Does she wear them on her show? or do you have pics? Because I've tried to understand why I got an urge to buy this type of jacket but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. It was just a feeling I got and the sartorial classic that is Margot Tenenbaum
margot10.jpg

ragamala blog

Last edited by a moderator:
Her's aren't exactly this style, the fur on her's is usually more fluffy.

But this style just seems in that vintage vein. I don't know if I actually have seen it on Zoe somewhere, or I can just easily imagine it on her. My grandmother had a mink and leather jacket in cream/beige, kind of a hybrid of that beige one and that brown one you posted, Meg.

It's a cute look, and definitely a more youthful way of wearing fur.

yeah I agree - perhaps it's just an extension of the love of everything vintage and a way that, to some, seems to be a more ethical (and cheaper) way of wearing fur.

i definitely agree that this is a trend among tfs'ers and an upcoming trend now that its fall about to be winter because i have been keeping track of fur jackets on ebay and there have been more & higher bids. i also agree about the vintage comments

Because I've tried to understand why I got an urge to buy this type of jacket but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

The same goes for me. Although I'm not sure I would buy one. H&M Divided has a faux fur jacket in the fall/winter collection.

fauxfur.jpg

nitrolicious.com

I think the popularity of this must have something to do with Rachel Zoe and as an extension, her clients. Fur jackets like this (especially that beige bomber style) have a kind of 70's feel to them, and that's definitely Rachel's whole thing.
I think SJP in SATC did it years ago, and SATC reached more people than Zoe does (and ever will, hopefully). At least everywhere else than USA.

the ida, you are quite right, she has worn a lot of vintage fur (and in the later episodes, I'm sure new). I think it's that clash of something very old world with modern shapes and materials that I'm drawn too. Or alternatively, exploring this look to the extreme (looks quite fun when I have my hair in loose waves and wear wide legged trousers. very 70's) or wearing a little fur jacket with torn/ripped clothing to get the opposite. The H&M jacket is v. cute.

Some recent street style pics to substantiate my ramblings
styleclicker.net, style and the city
080929-adele-at-dior-paris-jardin-des-tuileries-1.jpg

london%20fashion%20week%20IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_8234%20paris%20fashion%20week%20and%20street%20style%20bruno%20pieters.jpg

i really want sth fur after seeing this pic from stockholm street style.

Attachments

• 77465_450.jpg
    77465_450.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 25
I've managed to accumulate lots of these jackets over the years - in terms of getting a good fit, I'd say you're better off with a faux fur, because real fur jackets often have an outmoded shape or length to them.

There's nothing to stop you altering a real fur jacket to suit the shape you want, but I'm never brave enough to take the scissors to any good furs. I find I only ever wear my old real furs if I'm going outside at night in really cold temperatures.

A faux fur jacket is a breeze to alter, much easier to clean, and doesn't attract smells, so I find them better for everyday wear.

^
love that stockholm pic. Actually I find the jacket I just picked up to be very on trend in terms of shape. The thing that is the biggest problem, as far as I can tell with getting vintage, is that leather/fur dries out over time and thus is very prone to ripping and tearing if not properly taken care of. I bought mine at value village for about $70 so if it does tear, it's not a huge monetary loss. I agree faux is much easier to take care of and is lighter. My only problem is that good faux is amazing, but bad faux gets really gross and nubby looking :lol:

Edited to add two shots from this months Elle, styled by Kate Lanphear:
scanned by krogjock. For some reason, I can't attach the larger images, so go to this post here to open them in full http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5010094&postcount=468

Attachments

• lanphear fur 1.jpg
    lanphear fur 1.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 381
  • lanphear fur 2.jpg
    lanphear fur 2.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 381
i have never been interested in fur real or faux, i don't even know why i love leather/suede and stuff but not fur. I think fur is a trend i cannot pull off.

jessie - that is great! I love the color and shape!

tkendros - I never was until this year either. All of a sudden I just had a hankering to go to Value Village and see what they had.

Love that H&M one.

I hate it when they take the fur jackets and put the elasticated cuffs on them.
There were billions in New Look.

I agree - full length and bracelet sleeves are the nicest. I know I'm posting loads in this thread but I'm just trying to substantiate my thoughts! A very cute APC rabbit fur jacket:
34887_ou_l.jpg

nap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->