• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Cusp: Neiman Marcus contemporary stores

more on this concept, from wwd...

Steel fixtures, stone walls, wood furniture — and Goodyear tires.

Welcome to Cusp, Neiman Marcus' new retail concept unveiled Thursday at Tysons Corner Center in McLean, Va.

With Cusp, Neiman's set out to break the elegant mold of its full-line stores and appeal to a 20- to- 30-year-old crowd. The retailer is targeting a contemporary customer, one of the fashion industry's sweet spots, but it is becoming a crowded arena. Scoop is expanding nationally, Intermix has ventured as far west as Dallas and Calypso is seeking locations in London and Asia.

Neiman Marcus, which has 37 full-price stores, has just about fully tapped traditional affluent communities in the U.S. The concept for Cusp has been in the works for two years, the company said. That's when Neiman's began to see growth in its contemporary business — and the gains have continued.

Exposed duct work and concrete floors give the 9,500-square-foot store a raw quality that's just this side of edgy. Metal chain-link curtains and stacked planks of wood form backdrops for products, and folded-up jeans and accessories are wedged into the grooves of wood. In one vertical display, ready-to-wear hangs from tree branches. In another, handbags dangle from the ceiling, attached to pieces of rope that can be raised and lowered. Elsewhere in the store, tires are used as props in the denim area and a smashed Porsche serves as the base for a glass-topped table.

The store has an open feel because there are no walls. "There are no boundaries," said Ignaz Gorischek, vice president of store development for Neiman's. Areas in the store are defined by their carpets.

"There [are] little delineations, but it's much less like a big store's different departments," said Karen Katz, president and chief executive officer of Neiman Marcus Stores.

Furniture is organically shaped and often made of wood, from cedar to exotic zebrano. A wire sculpture next to a mannequin looks like so much frizzy hair on a humid day.

The humble materials are the antitheses of the glass vitrines and polished displays at Neiman Marcus stores, which can make products seem precious. It's a big switch for Neiman's, which commissions fine art for its full-price stores.

The idea behind Cusp is accessibility.

The shoe area also makes this point. It features shelves stacked high with different shoe sizes. "In this, you are basically walking into a stock room," Katz said. "You could go in there and pull your shoes yourself" or get assistance from a salesperson.

Tysons Corner is one of four Cusp units planned this year. In two weeks, an 8,000-square-foot Cusp will open in Century City in Los Angeles. An 11,000-square-foot store in Georgetown is scheduled for a February debut. The location of the fourth store has not been determined.

Katz declined to estimate how many Cusp units would ultimately open, but said, "We have high expectations. A year after we get the four stores open, we'll have a much better idea of how big Cusp can be. The vision is that Cusp can go to a lot of places where there are Neiman Marcus stores, but the reach is bigger than where we would build a Neiman's."

Cusp's merchandise appears to be targeted to shoppers with a predilection for the latest trends, whether short shorts or dark skinny jeans.

Service is key at Cusp. The Tysons Corner store is staffed by 14 full-time sales associates, whom Neiman's executives call "stylists."

"We want the store to be about the customer developing an individual style," Katz said. "It's about the way they put their clothes together. Some customers are going to want more assistance than others. Sellers are trained to sell everything from Hanky Panky thongs to the top 10 beauty items, to shoes, handbags and rtw."

Katz said sales associates will be taking the pulse of customers in the days ahead and possibly adjusting their approach. "We want to test the merchandise strategy we put together," she said. "There's so much traffic in this mall — enough walk-through traffic — that we'll be able to figure out if we approached it the right way." Then, the concept can be tweaked, if necessary.

Neiman's isn't planning on advertising Cusp — yet. In keeping with the young audience it is targeting, the retailer will launch a blog in the next few days, Katz said. "We think it's a good way to reach Generation Xers," she added. "We've hired an editor for the blog. It's different than any marketing we've done for Neiman Marcus."

An e-commerce site for Cusp will be launched in the spring.

some pics (sorry so small...they're from the wwd site)

072806_2.jpg
072806_3.jpg

072806_4.jpg
072806_5.jpg

072806_6.jpg
072806_7.jpg

NEIMANS WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!!!!!!

This is riduclous that store is hanous an makes Neimans look like copy cats not the Originators of Luxury that they are.

I'll be sure to check out the Tyson's & Georgetown stores. I *hope* it's worthwhile. I'm suprised they're making 2 of the 3 stores so close to me though for once...

mmm, this is interesting. I'm glad they are coming to century city....that mall needed something new. Also, i didn't know barney's co-op is coming to the grove....where are they going to put it?

It looks just like the CoOp...The bags hanging from the cieling, how brilliant. Also, I find that people find these accessible "avant garde" stores are more intimidating than a Neimans, okay, trendiness intimidates people...ESPECIALLY in stores...Especially a store owned by Neiman Marcus...

Speaking of CoOp, Im officially tired of thier look, the store in Chelsea really drove it home. Even the setup of the backroom looked like it was a loading dock, with lots of boxes and stuff, then those plastic curtain dealies they use at supermarkets, IM SO TIRED OF IT. ITS NOT NEW ANYMORE, its not fresh, it's so done.

Cusp..... I want to know what market research company came up with that stinker of a name......... somebody is not doing their job right.......

^Also, the interior look they came up with is a little tired like Diorling said......... it's like they're trying to figure out what 'young people' would like and they go 'Ooh yes I know, industrial, exposed ceilings - that's hip and cool!'. Just no.

susie_bubble said:
^Also, the interior look they came up with is a little tired like Diorling said......... it's like they're trying to figure out what 'young people' would like and they go 'Ooh yes I know, industrial, exposed ceilings - that's hip and cool!'. Just no.

But what else could you expect from such a store, driven by a bunch of old Texans in suits....

GalleriaResident said:
HEY HEY HEY NOW WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY FAUST???

Just what I said, but it would be my sincere pleasure to add more, if you'd like me to.

Please Do Faust...PPL in Suits dont know what hip is or Because they are from Texas they have no fashion sense?

I saw Chloe Edith in that picture. What's the other handbag hung on top of that Edith? It looks familiar to me too. Marc Jacobs or something like that? Isn't this supposed to be an affordable store for younger customers? Chloe Edith is certainly not cheap, is it? :unsure:

I really wouldn't be keen on seeing the bags displayed just hanging from the ceiling. I like to be able to touch and feel my purchases easily before buying not jump up to reach them! I guess I'm just old fashioned.....

GalleriaResident said:
Please Do Faust...PPL in Suits dont know what hip is or Because they are from Texas they have no fashion sense?

Suits care only about bottom line and have no integrity and no genuine interest in what they do. That's why they have everything STYLIZED, and therefore FAKE. And I don't need to elaborate on Texas, that's for sure... :innocent:

faust said:
Suits care only about bottom line and have no integrity and no genuine interest in what they do. That's why they have everything STYLIZED, and therefore FAKE. And I don't need to elaborate on Texas, that's for sure... :innocent:

I believe Russia has quite the reputation for nouveau riche tackiness these days, too, but I don't see anyone here tarring all Russians with the same brush ... :innocent:

Agree with Susie, the name is hard to say ... agree with Diorling, the concept is nothing new ... I will say though that Neimans' buyers do exceptionally good work, so perhaps the merch will speak for itself.

There's been no one to step into Stanley's shoes since he left AFAIK, but he was certainly a suit who gave a damn about his business. I still remember the gift he put together for a customer's wife ... ice cream colored cashmere sweaters rolled into a big crystal vase with a ruby brooch on top ... not a typical suit for sure.

fashionista-ta said:
I believe Russia has quite the reputation for nouveau riche tackiness these days, too, but I don't see anyone here tarring all Russians with the same brush ... :innocent:

Surely, I do - just look in the streetstyle forums.

BTW, we were talking about suits from Texas, you might've missed that part.

Surely, if we were to open a philosophical discussion about Russians v. Texans (kind of odd, since one is a country and another is just a state, although a lot of people would prefer it to be its own country), one could point out that Russia is in a transitional period right now (sort of like the United States was right before the great depression), and given the vast cultural/scientific contribution Russia has left in the past and is actively leaving every day, it is destined to wipe out the tackiness by and large in a generation or two, which can hardly be said about Texans... Of course you won't see it in the tabloids you have access to, because what fun would writing about that be?

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that Texas joined the union under a treaty that allows us to fly our flag alongside (same height) as the US flag. We also have the right to divide into 5 states if we wish, but that'll never happen. Those two facts probably have something to do with the perception of Texas as its own country.

I'm continually surprised how many people think Dallas the TV show still lives.

On topic, still hope NM will open a Cusp here so we can form our own opinions. Perhaps they believe contemporary customers here are already shopping NM ... would be interesting to see their analysis on that. Stanley Korshak is moving in a Cusp-like direction ...

faust said:
Surely, I do - just look in the streetstyle forums.

BTW, we were talking about suits from Texas, you might've missed that part.

Surely, if we were to open a philosophical discussion about Russians v. Texans (kind of odd, since one is a country and another is just a state, although a lot of people would prefer it to be its own country), one could point out that Russia is in a transitional period right now (sort of like the United States was right before the great depression), and given the vast cultural/scientific contribution Russia has left in the past and is actively leaving every day, it is destined to wipe out the tackiness by and large in a generation or two, which can hardly be said about Texans... Of course you won't see it in the tabloids you have access to, because what fun would writing about that be?

Faust I was expecting that I just wanted to see how detailed it would get lol
Anyways Im from the Great State Of Texas as for tackiness far from it. Give me a Texas Rich b*tch from Houston or Dallas anyday with her Jose Eber' or Ceron' hairdo,Big Cartier Diamond,and her Bentley convertible parked in front of the Big Neiman Marcus or Saks 5th Ave Sign anyday of the week!:D
As for the Russians Being Nouveau Riche I will go on the record saying I LOVE IT They are breath of fresh air I say who cares most ppl who say they are tacky are jealous of the spending habits.. When I think of "tacky Russian" Usually I think of $100,000 Chinchilla an her bf in a loud Versace Outfit which in all honestly doesnt bother me, its fashion an highend at that. I wouldnt even say they are tacky now in 1993-94 Moscow maybe but still it was just Flashy an Glam they werent afriad to Rock an Outfit straight off a designers runway.:D :heart:

But Back to the Point we are all here for the same Reason The Couture! An only the Couture!!:heart: :heart: :flower: :flower: :flower: :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chelseaboys
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->