Daniel Lee - Designer, Creative Director of Burberry

Gobbetti was a good CEO. He is still behind the miracles that were Celine and Givenchy, even though he was helped by a great cast of designers. Nevertheless, the strategy that supported those talents was great.

Knowing that the Chairman comes from TESCO and the CEO from Versace is scary indeed.

I’m still confused on Akeroyd! He comes from Versace, a house that has always made the majority of its revenues through fashion. Versace for example has always been closer to Dolce & Gabbana in price point than Prada for example.
They never had a strong accessories business under Akeroyd but we can attribute their success to the resilience of Donatella, who between 2006 to 2018, delivered collections that put the brand back into the fashion conversation.

Knowing all of that, Akeroyd goes to Burberry, a very premium brand that essentially sell fashion, decide to push for accessories and raise the prices. It’s such a non-sense!
Gobbetti didn’t raised the prices so much because coming from LVMH, he knew that Burberry couldn’t compete with the big players. They can compete with Givenchy but that’s all.

Sometimes we underestimate how much people who works in the industry don’t have a clear understanding of the industry. All brands are not equal!

Gobbetti was a good CEO. He is still behind the miracles that were Celine and Givenchy, even though he was helped by a great cast of designers. Nevertheless, the strategy that supported those talents was great.

Knowing that the Chairman comes from TESCO and the CEO from Versace is scary indeed.

I’m still confused on Akeroyd! He comes from Versace, a house that has always made the majority of its revenues through fashion. Versace for example has always been closer to Dolce & Gabbana in price point than Prada for example.
They never had a strong accessories business under Akeroyd but we can attribute their success to the resilience of Donatella, who between 2006 to 2018, delivered collections that put the brand back into the fashion conversation.

Knowing all of that, Akeroyd goes to Burberry, a very premium brand that essentially sell fashion, decide to push for accessories and raise the prices. It’s such a non-sense!
Gobbetti didn’t raised the prices so much because coming from LVMH, he knew that Burberry couldn’t compete with the big players. They can compete with Givenchy but that’s all.

Sometimes we underestimate how much people who works in the industry don’t have a clear understanding of the industry. All brands are not equal!
Lola pls make a luxury brands price point tier :clap:

So from what we told me, someone from the marketing team was fired and Daniel Lee received a final warning.

Above the price point, Lee is hard to manage and the whole aesthetic he is pushing for the brand does not convince at all..

Last edited:
So from what we told me, someone from the marketing team was fired and Daniel Lee received a final warning.

That's interesting! Keeping him until the end of his contract would mean few more collections and sacking him before that - esentially lawsuit (or handsome severance package and no non-compete agreement). They just invested into huge refurbishment at Avenue Montaigne and the result is quite lackluster...

I just feel like Arnault is waiting for Burton or Lee to snatch them for Givenchy.

Above the price point, Lee is hard to manage and the whole aesthetic he is pushing for the brand does not convince at all..

The marketing was never the problem. It’s the pricing and the people in the corporate team. The TESCO man and all those bureaucratic types that have no idea what they’re doing.

Also, final warning for what exactly?

Burberry Classics Doubles Down on Its Signature Checks​

The campaign features models Iris Law and Quinn Kirwan wearing the British brand’s house checks.

By HIKMAT MOHAMMED MARCH 5, 2024, 1:00AM

Burberry-Classics-16x97-1.jpeg

LONDON — Burberry is adding a new colorway to its sand-hued house checks with the introduction of a lichen, or muted ash green, for its latest launch, Burberry Classics.

The signature print is being applied to swimwear, nylon jackets, cotton twill shirtdresses and tailored shirts with subtle displays of the equestrian knight design from 1901. The campaign images for the collection feature models Iris Law and Quinn Kirwan.

The Burberry Classics line is part of the ReBurberry program, the British luxury brand’s commitment to responsibility and circularity with a focus on three key pillars: product, packaging and services.

Burberry-Classics-16x93-1.jpeg

The collection contains 70 percent organic or 50 percent recycled materials, depending on the items.

The brand is reconsidering its packaging by taking a step back to produce minimal packaging that’s plastic-free.

In October 2023, Burberry became the latest luxury name to team with Vestiaire Collective with a plan to offer customers in the U.K. and the U.S. credit in exchange for their pre-owned women’s outerwear and handbags.

Burberry-Classics-4x51-1.jpeg
WWD

Recently, the noise has become reality. Heard it’s imminent departure.
If Burberry is ready to have a PR disaster, faul press and lawsuit of few million pounds magnitude then yes, he will be sacked. But I highly doubt that rumours, they’ll keep him till the end of his contract like they did with Tisci.

If Burberry is ready to have a PR disaster, faul press and lawsuit of few million pounds magnitude then yes, he will be sacked. But I highly doubt that rumours, they’ll keep him till the end of his contract like they did with Tisci.

at this point they probably need someone who will push them in a very strong direction. someone like alessandro michele. i feel like lees burberry has a few good pieces but has no clear direction. It worked for Bottega since they were more of an accessories brand than RTW so finally having trendy clothes to go with their bags and shoes easily put them in the conversation.

Tisci was in a good direction but I felt the suits wanted him to cater to every single sub-brand Burberry ever had which limited his ideas.

I think they just massively f--d up with the pricing strategy. Had it been at what I expect a Burberry price to be, I'd have purchased a fair amount of pieces. A coat like this one is rather beautiful and gives you a brand identity element with a twist which I like as an approach Car coat lungo in misto seta con motivo pied-de-poule distorto (Ivy) - Uomo | Sito ufficiale Burberry®

The tragedy is not so much on RTW but mostly on shoes and bags. The offer isn't strong enough and some are simply ugly.

I mean to be fair that coat requires a ton of hand work. Getting the print to place in the correct position requires lots of waste and lots of hand done work. That is very quiet luxury to me because unless you know how clothes are made you wouldnt realize how special this print is.

Even at Brioni they just whip the fabric off the roll cut it and stitch it together. This coat needs lots of measuring and placement. You cant just cut the fabric for this coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stranger1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->