original-sketch-4.jpg

lanvinforhm

^All right, I officially want one of those hanging on my wall :heart:

A sketch for dress especially for Antony Hagarty by Riccardo
40-0_0x440.jpg

vogue.it

ffdfa98ef650.jpg
d2680f7b859e.jpg

At most big-ticket movie premieres, what the stars wear on the red carpet is the main attraction. In the case of Black Swan, the roll-call outfits at the New York premiere this week were no slouch—Dior, Elie Saab, Givenchy, and Naeem Khan among them—but the most excitement may have been caused by the frocks on screen. That’s what you get when you hire Rodarte’s Kate and Laura Mulleavy to design a working wardrobe for your ballet fantasia-cum-horror epic. Here, the sisters share two of their sketches for the film’s costumes—the main characters of Odette as the maiden and of Odile as the demonic Black Swan—exclusively with Style.com.

“If I had imagined a dream film, this is definitely the one to sign us up for,” Laura said. “The big question was, how can you create a whole Swan Lake ballet to coincide with the modern set of this film?” But that wasn’t the only big question—the other was one few designers encounter: How can you make clothes that are ballet-friendly? “It was very technical, because everyone had to be able to dance,” Kate added. “For example, the crown—the demon Rothbart has a metal crown that’s made with horns, and the Black Swan has a metal crown in chrome. That was a big debate, whether they could wear them as dancers.”

But necessity was the mother of invention. The crowns made it into the film, where they’re chillingly dramatic in its final scenes—but chrome they’re not. The Mulleavys ended up making the Black Swan crown out of lightweight copper, which they then burned to achieve their desired effect. “The crown is so coveted because it is symbolic of getting the role of the Swan Queen in Swan Lake—it’s part of this whole thing of getting the role. When it was time to do the Black Swan, that more intensely had to be linked to this demonic, menacing idea, [so] using metal became more important,” said Laura (on set with Portman, below). “Technically it was almost impossible, but we made it work.”
style.com

See inside Hywel Davies' new book, Fashion Designers' Sketchbooks:

PPQ /Pater Jensen/Matthew Williamson/Margaret Howell/Carola Euler/Antonio Marras for Kenzo
vogue.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely LOVE Kate Mulleavy's sketches for the movie. Thanks for posting!

Sonia Delaunay

soniadelaunay1.jpg

soniadelaunay2.jpg

soniadelaunay3.jpg

soniadelaunay5.jpg

soniadelaunay4.jpg

soniadelaunay7.jpg

soniadelaunay6.jpg

soniadelaunay9.jpg

soniadelaunay10.jpg

soniadelaunay8.jpg

flickr: fitspecialcollections
douglascain.blogspot.com
emu-memu.net
fl4projects.tumblr.com

Last edited by a moderator:
so colourful and creative! Thanks for posting

/ these are from this thread
Eduard Josef Wimmer-Wisgrill

attachment.php

attachment.php

credits on image /

Prabal Gurung Fall 2011

prabalgurungfall2011.jpg

This Saturday, Prabal Gurung presents his latest collection at Lincoln Center. The celeb-adored designer is collaborating with Swarovski for crystal-embellished frocks and tops, and he’s debuting a preview of the glittering pieces exclusively on Style.com (above). The season, Gurung says, “draws on romantic styles seen throughout Victorian times with a slightly savage, street-wise edge.” Gurung is only one of the beneficiaries of Swarovski’s crystal largesse this fashion week, as part of its long-running collaboration program. Other designers will be announced in the days to come.

And for more from Prabal, check back with us later in the week, when he’ll share his fashion week prep diary in the lead-up to his show.
style.com

A few Thierry Mugler sketches from the 90's....

tumblr_lfpw33OVTP1qgv0ixo1_r2_500.jpg

tumblr_lhk7a6bTjc1qgv0ixo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lhk731ldY01qgv0ixo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lhhz837HJa1qgv0ixo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lhk78aEsW41qgv0ixo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lhk78aEsW41qgv0ixo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lhk75iwyyL1qgv0ixo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lhhzdaOPqD1qgv0ixo1_1280.jpg

All from ThierryMugler.Tumblr.

tumblr_ln6shnH2zG1qf3iwao1_1280.png

tumblr_ln6se0ROTB1qf3iwao1_1280.png

Screenshots from the Video released by H&M and Versace on the upcoming Collaboration in Autumn 2011.

Gosh looking at these designs I'm getting a bit excited about the collection! I hope it is available where I live! Especially the cutout detail to the dresses looks interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->