• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Early Oscar Buzz (2007)

Producers Guild Awards

THE DARRYL F. ZANUCK PRODUCER OF THE YEAR AWARD IN THEATRICAL MOTION PICTURES
"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax/Paramount Vantage)

THE PRODUCER OF THE YEAR AWARD IN ANIMATED THEATRICAL MOTION PICTURES"Ratatouille" (Walt Disney Pictures/Pixar Animation)

If No Country doesn't win the Best Picture Oscar now it will be due to one of those crazy Oscar upsets (e.g. Crash). Baftas next Sunday but those could skew towards Atonement.

According to Academy Awards president Sid Ganis there is "no doubt" that the ceremony will go ahead regardless of whether the writers' strike is resolved.

Here's some photos from the Oscar nominees lunch:

georgeclooneygettyoscarcu8.jpg
George Clooney

javierbardemgettyoscarsag5.jpg
Javier Bardem

juliechristieaposcarsov1.jpg
Julie Christie

marioncotillardaposcarsto1.jpg
Marion Cotillard

viggomortensengettyoscapr2.jpg
Viggo Mortensen

ellenpagegettyoscarsur7.jpg
Ellen Page

Ellen joked that her striped dress was made from an old prison uniform.

Source | FWD | February 5, 2008

Vanity Fair Cancels Annual Oscar Bash

Graydon Carter has pulled the plug on his magazine's Oscar party.

Vanity Fair this afternoon officially announced that the magazine has decided to cancel its annual star-studded extravaganza on Academy Awards night, February 24.

The party, billed as Tinseltown's most exclusive ticket, was to have taken place at CAA favorite Craft in Century City, after relocating from Morton's, which had played host since 1993. Last year, Morton's lost its lease, and is currently being converted to the L.A. outpost of Soho House. "When Morton's announced it was closing, we thought it was time for a change," Carter told Variety in October. "Craft is the ideal place for the party: great food--which we will not be serving family-style, by the way--great location with a dramatic entrance and a big, sweeping space."

According to a spokesperson, Vanity Fair had originally intended to build out beyond Craft's terrace to add additional space. The extra breathing room, however, was in no way a direct correlation to what many had presumed to be an increased guest list; on the contrary, the event was going to be curtailed to cater to a slightly smaller crowd.

"After much consideration, and in support of the writers and everyone else affected by this strike, we have decided that this is not the appropriate year to hold our annual Oscar party," a spokesperson for the Condé Nast title said in a statement. "We want to congratulate all of this year's nominees and we look forward to hosting our 15th Oscar party next year."

The announcement comes at a surprising juncture in the ongoing Writer's Guild Association strike (now approaching the 90-day mark), which in the last two days offered an optimistic glimpse that the Hollywood writer's strike was coming to a possible end.

The Screen Actors Guild Awards proceeded unfazed thanks to a WGA waiver, as will the upcoming Grammy Awards on Feb. 10, where the WGA has promised not to picket. A spokesperson for the Academy Awards had no update on whether the waiver would also be applied to the Oscars.

The 80th-annual Academy Awards will take place at the Kodak Theatre and be televised on ABC.

Clooney Concedes Oscar Defeat to Day-Lewis
10s.jpg
George Clooney is already conceding Best Actor Oscar victory to Daniel Day-Lewis, claiming no one has a chance against the British star. The pair are on the shortlist for the prize at this month's ceremony, alongside Viggo Mortensen for Eastern Promises, Tommy Lee Jones for In The Valley Of Elah and Johnny Depp for Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street. But Clooney has already given up hope of winning for his role in Michael Clayton - to add to his Best Supporting Academy Award for Syriana - after watching Day-Lewis in his nominated role in There Will Be Blood. He says, "If you want my honest opinion, I think it's going to be Daniel Day-Lewis. He sort of irritates all of us because he's so good. I'll tell you right now, I don't like him!"

imdb.com

i want marion cotillard to win but i have a feeling that the award will go to julie christie. :(

marion is stunning, both her and julie christie were amazing but she definitely deserves it more.

I think things are looking really good for Christie and Dee... (beautiful) age before (young) beauty tends to win with voters. :flower:

I look forward to the standing ovation DDL will get when he wins :lol: (unless the oscar voters decide shock us and give it to clooney)

I love those :P

Last time DDL was nominated, we got the shock of the century when Adrien Brody won. Although there is no one really in that spot this year, I will be very surprised if anyone else get it. And it's not as though this will be his first Oscar. But then again, I really loved his performance, and I certainly think he deserves it.

^which is why i believe DDL will win. sympathy vote! (even though he deserves it)

The writers' strike is pretty much over! :D So that means the Oscars are on.

Bafta red carpet has started now. I hope there's no sweep for Atonement and for the Coens to do well.

BAFTAs

WINNERS/LOSERS

Winners are highlighted below in bold

BEST FILM

AMERICAN GANGSTER – Brian Grazer/Ridley Scott
ATONEMENT – Tim Bevan/Eric Fellner/Paul Webster
THE LIVES OF OTHERS – Quirin Berg/Max Wiedemann
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN – Scott Rudin/Joel Coen/Ethan Coen
THERE WILL BE BLOOD – JoAnne Sellar/Paul Thomas Anderson/Daniel Lupi

BEST BRITISH FILM

ATONEMENT – Tim Bevan/Eric Fellner/Paul Webster/Joe Wright/Christopher Hampton
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM – Frank Marshall/Patrick Crowley/Paul L Sandberg/Paul Greengrass/Tony Gilroy/Scott Z Burns/George Nolfi
CONTROL – Orian Williams/ Todd Eckert/Anton Corbijn/Matt Greenhalgh
EASTERN PROMISES – Paul Webster/Robert Lantos/David Cronenberg/Steve Knight
THIS IS ENGLAND – Mark Herbert/Shane Meadows
THE CARL FOREMAN AWARD for Special Achievement by a British Director, Writer or Producer in their First Feature Film

CHRIS ATKINS (Director/Writer) – Taking Liberties
MIA BAYS (Producer) – Scott Walker: 30 Century Man
SARAH GAVRON (Director) – Brick Lane
MATT GREENHALGH (Writer) – Control
ANDREW PIDDINGTON (Director/Writer) – The Killing of John Lennon

DIRECTOR

ATONEMENT – Joe Wright
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM – Paul Greengrass
THE LIVES OF OTHERS – Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN – Joel Coen/Ethan Coen
THERE WILL BE BLOOD – Paul Thomas Anderson
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

AMERICAN GANGSTER – Steven Zaillian
JUNO – Diablo Cody
THE LIVES OF OTHERS – Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
MICHAEL CLAYTON – Tony Gilroy
THIS IS ENGLAND – Shane Meadows

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

ATONEMENT – Christopher Hampton
THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY – Ronald Harwood
THE KITE RUNNER – David Benioff
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN – Joel Coen/Ethan Coen
THERE WILL BE BLOOD – Paul Thomas Anderson
FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

nominations announced on Friday 4 January
THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY – Kathleen Kennedy/Jon Kilik/Julian Schnabel
THE KITE RUNNER – William Horberg/Walter Parkes/Rebecca Yeldham/Marc Foster
THE LIVES OF OTHERS – Quirin Berg/Max Wiedemann/Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
LUST, CAUTION – Bill Kong/James Schamus/Ang Lee
LA VIE EN ROSE – Alain Goldman/Olivier Dahan

ANIMATED FILM

RATATOUILLE – Brad Bird
SHREK THE THIRD – Chris Miller
THE SIMPSONS MOVIE – David Silverman
LEADING ACTOR

GEORGE CLOONEY – Michael Clayton
DANIEL DAY-LEWIS – There Will Be Blood
JAMES McAVOY – Atonement
VIGGO MORTENSEN – Eastern Promises
ULRICH MÜHE – The Lives of Others
LEADING ACTRESS

CATE BLANCHETT – Elizabeth: The Golden Age
JULIE CHRISTIE – Away From Her
MARION COTILLARD – La Vie en Rose
KEIRA KNIGHTLEY – Atonement
ELLEN PAGE – Juno
SUPPORTING ACTOR

JAVIER BARDEM – No Country for Old Men
PAUL DANO – There Will Be Blood
TOMMY LEE JONES – No Country for Old Men
PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN – Charlie Wilson’s War
TOM WILKINSON – Michael Clayton

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

CATE BLANCHETT – I’m Not There
KELLY MACDONALD – No Country for Old Men
SAMANTHA MORTON – Control
SAOIRSE RONAN – Atonement
TILDA SWINTON – Michael Clayton

</div>

MUSIC

AMERICAN GANGSTER – Marc Streitenfeld
ATONEMENT – Dario Marianelli
THE KITE RUNNER – Alberto Iglesias
THERE WILL BE BLOOD – Jonny Greenwood
LA VIE EN ROSE – Christopher Gunning

CINEMATOGRAPHY

AMERICAN GANGSTER – Harris Savides
ATONEMENT – Seamus McGarvey
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM – Oliver Wood
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN – Roger Deakins
THERE WILL BE BLOOD – Robert Elswit

EDITING

AMERICAN GANGSTER – Pietro Scalia
ATONEMENT – Paul Tothill
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM – Christopher Rouse
MICHAEL CLAYTON – John Gilroy
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN – Roderick Jaynes
PRODUCTION DESIGN

ATONEMENT – Sarah Greenwood/Katie Spencer
ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE – Guy Hendrix Dyas/Richard Roberts
HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX – Stuart Craig/Stephenie McMillan
THERE WILL BE BLOOD – Jack Fisk/Jim Erickson
LA VIE EN ROSE – Olivier Raoux/Stanislas Reydellet
COSTUME DESIGN

ATONEMENT – Jacqueline Durran
ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE – Alexandra Byrne
LUST, CAUTION – Pan Lai
SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET – Colleen Atwood
LA VIE EN ROSE – Marit Allen

SOUND

ATONEMENT – Danny Hambrook/Paul Hamblin/Catherine Hodgson/Becki Ponting
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM – Kirk Francis/Scott Millan/David Parker/Karen Baker Landers/Per Hallberg
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN – Peter Kurland/Skip Lievsay/Craig Berkey/Greg Orloff
THERE WILL BE BLOOD – Christopher Scarabosio/Matthew Wood/John Pritchett/Michael Semanick/Tom Johnson
LA VIE EN ROSE – Laurent Zeilig/Pascal Villard/Jean-Paul Hurier/Marc Doisne
SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS

THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM – Peter Chiang/Charlie Noble/Mattias Lindahl/Joss Williams
THE GOLDEN COMPASS – Michael Fink/Bill Westenhofer/Ben Morris/Trevor Wood
HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX – Tim Burke/John Richardson/Emma Norton/Chris Shaw
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD’S END – John Knoll/Charles Gibson/Hal Hickel/John Frazier
SPIDER-MAN 3 – Scott Stokdyk/Peter Nofz/John Frazier/Spencer Cook
MAKE UP & HAIR

ATONEMENT – Ivana Primorac
ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE – Jenny Shircore
HAIRSPRAY – Judi Cooper Sealy/Jordan Samuel
SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET – Ivana Primorac/Peter Owen
LA VIE EN ROSE – Jan Archibald/Didier Lavergne
SHORT ANIMATION

THE PEARCE SISTERS – Jo Allen/Luis Cook
HEAD OVER HEELS – Osbert Parker/Fiona Pitkin/Ian Gouldstone
THE CRUMBLEGIANT – Pearse Moore/John McCloskey
SHORT FILM

DOG ALTOGETHER – Diarmid Scrimshaw/Paddy Considine
HESITATION – Julien Berlan/Michelle Eastwood/Virginia Gilbert
THE ONE AND ONLY HERB MCGWYER PLAYS WALLIS ISLAND – Charlie Henderson/James Griffiths/Tim Key/Tom Basden
SOFT – Jane Hooks/Simon Ellis
THE STRONGER – Dan McCulloch/Lia Williams/Frank McGuinness
THE ORANGE RISING STAR AWARD

(voted for by the public) – nominees announced on Tuesday 8 January
SHIA LABEOUF
SIENNA MILLER
ELLEN PAGE
SAM RILEY
TANG WEI

ONTD, BAFTA site.

Overall it's a pretty decent list although seeing as how Atonement was snubbed in most of its categories the Best Picture win somehow looks like a token gesture. It should have been No Country For Old Men.

My favourite bit of the night was Marion Cotillard winning best actress. I think I'm in love with her! :wub: :lol: She was in utter shock when her name was read out and she managed to somehow give a speech in stuttering English. It was incredibly sweet. I only saw La Vie En Rose a week or two ago and while the film overall was flawed she really shone. I hope she can pick up the Oscar too.

Tilda Swinton was second most shocked. She was wearing a rather interesting outfit. Maybe I can find some pictures.

I'm happy Matt Greenhalgh won for Control. I really liked the film and hoped it would get some buzz in the States but it didn't really happen.

Roger Deakins deserved his cinematography award. I saw No Country in the cinema last week after having previously only watched it on a DVD screener. It's stunningly shot. He's had a great year with that and Jesse James. Unfortunately he was edited out of the ceremony and got stuck in the "also winners tonight" section right at the end.

So interestingly the biggest winner of the night was La Vie En Rose with 4 BAFTAs. No Country for Old Men won 3 BAFTAs, with Atonement and The Bourne Ultimatum receiving 2 BAFTAs each. I didn't see that coming but it's a nice spread.

Bafta Red Carpet

marionbaftatrophyps4.jpg

bardembaftaredcarpetkr7.jpg
daylewisbaftaredcarpetej9.jpg

evagreenbaftaredcarpetld2.jpg

keirabaftaredcarpetwv3.jpg

Sources: telegraph.co.uk ; timesonline.co.uk ; dailymail.co.uk

My hometown Halifax is going nuts over Ellen Page because she is pretty much the first famous person that has ever come from Halifax, haha. It's pretty cool that a few of my friends know her and that she lived a few streets up from me, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maneaterwife
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->