• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Fair Trade Clothing Brands & Human Rights ... the Ethical Consumer Movement

^ Very cool ... wonder if they have this at my Barney's. Sounds like it's stocked in Designer ...

I've noticed Maiyet on style.com and the first two collections are really lovely. I knew a little bit of the brand's backstory but I didn't know how interesting it was, so thank you for sharing this article, it's really fascinating. :flower: And I love that someone who's been pretty involved in trying to achieve peace in his country and worldwide has ended up in fashion. It sounds like van Zyl has a unique way of looking at fashion and also looking at how fashion and human rights are interconnected. And it is this sort of thinking that can lead to innovative businesses and clothes. If I had tons of money to spend on clothes right now I know I'd definitely support Maiyet but for now I'll just have to support them from afar.

Just wanted to mention that Maiyet is available on Barney's website ... looks good.

I'm taking a course this semester called enviroment and society and one of the things we will apparently be talking about is sustainablity in regards to clothing/fashion (which of course got me all excited). It also reminded me, has anyone read Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion by Elizabeth L. Cline? I saw it in B&N and started reading it. It sounds like a throughly interesting book about what the cheap clothes we are buying are doing to our environment, society, and economy.

Also, I found this link, not sure if it's been posted in the thread before, but I think it's an interesting list of the best and worst brands in terms of companies promoting responsible shopping.
http://www.greenamerica.org/programs/responsibleshopper/industry/clothing.cfm

I've noticed Maiyet on style.com and the first two collections are really lovely. I knew a little bit of the brand's backstory but I didn't know how interesting it was, so thank you for sharing this article, it's really fascinating. :flower: And I love that someone who's been pretty involved in trying to achieve peace in his country and worldwide has ended up in fashion. It sounds like van Zyl has a unique way of looking at fashion and also looking at how fashion and human rights are interconnected. And it is this sort of thinking that can lead to innovative businesses and clothes. If I had tons of money to spend on clothes right now I know I'd definitely support Maiyet but for now I'll just have to support them from afar.
I agree completely - they're clothes are lovely and I love their approach to fashion (and I too have to appreciate the brand from afar, because I can't afford anything they make :lol: )

Very cool brands, thanks for sharing HeatherAnne and fashionista-ta! So I mentioned a little further up in the thread that I'm taking an environment & society course this semester and we have to do a "personal project" making a personal change in our lives (like going vegetarian, which I already am, so I've got to come up with something different) and also a "community based project" and what I'd really like to do for at least one of these assignments (if not both) is do something related to sustainable and fair trade fashion. Luckily it seems my professor is pretty receptive to the idea, she even lent me an old issue of Green American magazine which had several pages filled with information about green clothing; the dangers behind fast fashion (ex. sweatshops) and some brands which are green and other helpful information. But of course I'm a bit stumped as to what direction I should go in, so I was hoping for feedback from those who read this thread (though I thought about putting it in the homework thread I think it fits better here). I've thought of a few things for the community based project, like doing some work with my local fair trade business (which sells jewelry, clothes, etc from around the world) which a family friend owns. Or perhaps working on an organic farm learning about how sheep's wool is made. I'm pretty lucky though because the area which I'm from and the place I just moved too are pretty into the whole eco-friendly, fair trade thing so I probably have a lot of options. So any ideas for what I might want to focus on or look into? Thanks! :flower:

Also, while reading the Green American July/August 2012 issue I learned a bit more about different labels that sustainable/fair trade clothing can be given. I found the link to the article on their website, it seems like a pretty handy thing to know about while shopping around. ^_^

http://www.greenamerica.org/pubs/greenamerican/articles/JulyAug2012/sustainable-clothes-from-field-to-store-labels-pesticides-sweatshops-fair-trade.cfm

for the personal project, you could buy only fair trade/sustainable fashion for the semester ... that would be a nice challenge :wink:

i tried buying all organic clothes some years back, and at that time it just wasn't possible if you also wanted to have any aesthetic standards at all--and some items were just missing. i think the selection is much better now.

we have a fashion incubator here--do you have one there?

I think all of your ideas sound amazing, YoninahAliza. I think it would be cool, if possible, to shadow a bit at each of the ones you mentioned and then wrap it all together. So you'd start with learning how the fabrics are made on the organic farm, then work with an actual business, and show how the process progresses.

Then perhaps talk afterwards talk with a business that doesn't fall into this category (that you would probably keep anonymous) and ask them why they don't go green/fair trade route. After you've learned the ins and outs of how it works, I'm sure you'd have a lot of questions for them.

Let us know what you decide, so many possibilities, should be fun.

for the personal project, you could buy only fair trade/sustainable fashion for the semester ... that would be a nice challenge :wink:

i tried buying all organic clothes some years back, and at that time it just wasn't possible if you also wanted to have any aesthetic standards at all--and some items were just missing. i think the selection is much better now.

we have a fashion incubator here--do you have one there?

I love the idea of only buying fair trade/sustainable fashion for the semester but surprisingly, I must admit, I don't shop a ton and where I am located now doesn't even have a shopping mall so I won't be feeling much temptation to shop. Though, if I were to do that, I'm already on my way, the first shopping I've done in ages was on People Tree's website.

I was actually just talking with my roommate about this, how so much organic/fair trade stuff can make a person look granola, if you know what I mean. But I think the sustainable/fair trade fashions have changed a lot in recent years (as this thread has shown) and it's more feasible to buy and support these designers and to look stylish while doing so.

Also, I've never herd of a fashion incubator, could you tell me what it is? Thanks. :flower:

I think all of your ideas sound amazing, YoninahAliza. I think it would be cool, if possible, to shadow a bit at each of the ones you mentioned and then wrap it all together. So you'd start with learning how the fabrics are made on the organic farm, then work with an actual business, and show how the process progresses.

Then perhaps talk afterwards talk with a business that doesn't fall into this category (that you would probably keep anonymous) and ask them why they don't go green/fair trade route. After you've learned the ins and outs of how it works, I'm sure you'd have a lot of questions for them.

Let us know what you decide, so many possibilities, should be fun.

Sorry for the double post but I just had to respond to both of your suggestions! :flower: I really like the idea of combining both of these projects, like you suggested, it sounds like it could be a fascinating look at both sides of the business- the "before" and "after" if you want to call it that. I'll have to talk to my professor about this but I think it sounds like a project that not only I'd love but learn so much from. Thank you both for your input, it's definitely given me some great things to think about. ^_^

I love the idea of only buying fair trade/sustainable fashion for the semester but surprisingly, I must admit, I don't shop a ton and where I am located now doesn't even have a shopping mall so I won't be feeling much temptation to shop. Though, if I were to do that, I'm already on my way, the first shopping I've done in ages was on People Tree's website.

I was actually just talking with my roommate about this, how so much organic/fair trade stuff can make a person look granola, if you know what I mean. But I think the sustainable/fair trade fashions have changed a lot in recent years (as this thread has shown) and it's more feasible to buy and support these designers and to look stylish while doing so.

Also, I've never herd of a fashion incubator, could you tell me what it is? Thanks. :flower:

yes, i call it the earth mother look :lol: it is not for me. i will not be wearing anything decorated with a kokopelli in this lifetime--not while i am of sound mind.

it's an organization that helps people who are starting fashion businesses. i think the one here has a shop where everyone can sell their stuff.

i guess you could also put together a virtual wardrobe--you wouldn't have to buy all of it. just show how it could be done. i would be very interested in seeing that ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think thats a market gap there. Fairtrade that isnt bland/granola/mother earthy but a bit more avantgarde and dare I say cool :smile:

Really interesting to read this thread and see the various developments that have been happening for ethical and fair trade fashion over the years. I write for a fashion blog and some other publications focusing on ethical and sustainable fashion and I think there is so much going on with ethical/ sustainable fashion at the moment.

Here are just a few of the recent developments in ethical / sustainable fashion that are going on at the moment. This is mainly from a UK perspective, so would be really interesting to hear from people based in the US, Europe and Australia about developments there as I am pretty sure there is plenty going on!

There has been plenty of talk about the use of forced child labour for harvesting cotton in Uzbekistan. Despite lobbying by various campaigning groups, it still continues to happen. Some brands/ retailers have committed not to use cotton from Uzbekistan, but many high street stores do continue to use it http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/dec/15/cotton-child-labour-uzbekistan-fashion

In Bangladesh their has recently been a number of tragedies in garment factory fires which has highlighted the poor and dangerous working conditions faced by many. Hopefully things are beginning to change as brands and goverment put pressure factories http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/bangladesh-moves-to-clean-up-garment-factories-324254

Greenpeace have had great success with their Detox fashion campaign.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxFWo4sCzCs So far Nike, Adidas, Puma, H&M, M&S, C&A, Li-Ning, Zara, Mango, Esprit, Levi's, Uniqlo, Benetton and Victoria's Secret have committed to clean up. There are still a some more big brands still to sign up to the manifesto.

There has also been many new innovations in ethical and sustainable fashion recently including:

A new search engine for sustainable style to make it quicker and easier to find ethical fashion from over 100 brands including fair trade, organic, vegan and recycled fashion http://www.style-is.co.uk

Some exciting new retailers, offering even more choice check out http://Modavanti.com

The Ethical Fashion Forum (http://www.ethicalfashionforum.com) also recently held its brand preview which showcased many brands including designer, clothing, shoes and accessories and was attended by some major retailers.
The Estethica exhibition at London Fashion week (now in its 7th year) will soon open showing even more ethical fashion brands.
Ecoluxe (http://www.ecoluxe.com) will take place in 17th - 18th showcasing luxury eco brands.

You can check out any of the above websites if you want to find out more about some great ethical/ sustainable fashion brands - certainly nothing like granola!

Style Eyes, what a fantastic list of resources! Thank you for sharing, I can't wait to check them all out. :flower:

Also a little update about the school project I mentioned a little further up in the thread. I shared the idea's which ya'll suggested and my professor was so stoked! For the 'Personal Project' side to it, I will also be going through my wardrobe; looking at each individual tags to see not only where they were made, but what materials they are made from (if they create toxic waste, etc.), and if they have any sustainable or fair trade labels. I'm so excited for this part, but also secretly horrified because I just know that a lot of the brands that I have in my closet aren't always on the "good list." But I'm interested in seeing how this changes my buying habits (I like to think just being a little more conscious of it already has changed my shopping habits a bit).

My professor is also looking into having me work with a sheep or alpaca farm too, like I mentioned above as well. And I still plan on interviewing my local fair trade business. Apparently we'll also have to share our projects at the end of the semester at the "college day," where students and faculty share information about what they've learned this year. Which makes me a bit nervous but I think it'll be a good experience to have. So glad everything seems to be working out just the way I was hoping it would! Thank you so much for your support and suggestions it's really helped me out a bunch! :heart:

YoninahAliza, one thing you might want to check for is if you have a garment from H&M...unfortunately, they refuse to stop using hazardous chemicals in their clothing production until 2020. :blink:

check out Greenpeace International’s investigation report, “Toxic Threads – The Big Fashion Stitch-Up,” :flower:

^Thank you lucy92 for sharing that link and info. :flower: I do, unfortunately have several items from H&M. I'd also like to look into the "organic" line of clothing they have, to find out if it's really true or not. A label like that can get thrown around a lot, without it really being true (like if they use organic cotton but then continue to use toxic chemicals on it). I've started reading the Greenpeace report, there is some really interesting and shocking findings, I'll definitely be citing the report in my project.

from o magazine:

... SoleRebels is the world's first fair-trade certified footwear company. its 300-plus factory workers, many of whom had been unemployed for years before being hired, earn around 3x the avg industrial wage in ethiopia & receive comprehensive medical coverage for their families. they showcase their textile craftsmanship using good-for-the-planet materials like organic cotton, local fibers, & rubber repurposed from worn-out tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maneaterwife
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->