• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fashion Gets Political

Originally posted by Amelié@Jun 29th, 2004 - 6:27 am
hehe...i luv it in aus because everyone has to vote, it's compulsory universal franchaise 18+...i think our system is working well...

it would be interesting to see how outcomes in say UK and Us would come out if eveyrone had to vote...
interesting fact that i did not know...thanks amelie... :flower:

just found this

072904_18.jpg

A Magic Propaganda Mill shirt to be auctioned at “Get Your Vote On!”

Thursday July 29, 2004 Casting Ballots With Fashion
NEW YORK — Sean “P. Diddy” Combs and Russell Simmons aren’t the only ones rounding up the troops to get out and vote in the upcoming presidential election. Composer and performer Imani Uzuri will be cheering on women in their 20s and 30s to cast their ballots at “Get Your Vote On!” Friday night at the downtown club Mission. The party and fashion show is a nonpartisan event that is designed to get women fired up about registering and voting in the Nov. 2 election. Rosario Dawson, Charlotte Ronson, Summer Phoenix, Liv Tyler and Moby are some of the better-known people expected to attend. The NYC Lucy Stoners, a group of female New Yorkers banding together to get young women informed and involved about the political process, is organizing the event. Member Rita Nazouki, who is a senior trend consultant in Promostyl’s New York office, said, “What we noticed was the single woman was definitely not a voice being heard in the polls.” Through such events, Lucy Stoners hopes to make single women as influential in the upcoming election as soccer moms were in the 2000 election, she said. The group is named after the late Lucy Stone, who among other things was the first woman in Massachusetts to earn a college degree, the first woman in the U.S. to keep her maiden name after marriage and one of the founders of the American Woman Suffrage Association in 1869. To get women excited about “Get Your Vote On!” the NYC Lucy Stoners decided to make Friday’s get-together a fashion event. Betsey Johnson, Malia Mills, Triple 5 Soul’s former designer Camella Ehlke and Super Lucky Cat are among the 22 designers who created politically minded T-shirts that will be modeled in a fashion show and then auctioned Friday. Some Old Rubies, the Lower East Side store owned by Summer Phoenix, Odessa Whitmire and Ruby Canner, also provided a T-shirt. Bidding is expected to open at between $30 and $50 and could go into the hundreds of dollars, Nazouki said. All proceeds will benefit the Third Wave Foundation, a nonprofit group that supports the leadership of women between the ages of 15 and 30 by providing resources, public education and networking opportunities. American Apparel and Triple 5 Soul are sponsoring the bash at Mission, along with the NYC Lucy Stoners, Lifetime Television and Alphabet City Design + Marketing. About 200 to 300 people are expected to attend. Guests are asked to bring a government-issued ID to be registered to vote.

from wwd :flower:

Originally posted by Amélie@Jun 29 2004, 07:27 AM
hehe...i luv it in aus because everyone has to vote, it's compulsory universal franchaise 18+...i think our system is working well...

it would be interesting to see how outcomes in say UK and Us would come out if eveyrone had to vote...
[snapback]299792[/snapback]​

Really?!?! Has it always been like that? Yeah, I really wonder what would happen if we had compulsory voting in the US...I like the idea.

voting is compulsory in Greece (only on national elections, not for the EU ballots)

Originally posted by CaptainJackSparrow@Jul 29 2004, 03:46 AM
i just found this LMAO
perfect for me :lol:
[snapback]317667[/snapback]​

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAh

That "Anybody But Bush" slogan was widespread at the Democratic National Covention for anyone who watched it on TV. "ABB" pins were everywhere.

Is this pic yours, if so can I post it elsewhere? It's so hilarious it deserves to be passed on to appreciating friends.

I don't know why I'm seeing this topic for the first time, but I guess its better late than never.

My two cents...

To all who feel political fashion trivializes politics, I have to disagree...sure it may trivialize , but its potential to inspire political conversations makes it a risk worth taking...and no one can deny the fact that these conversations will take place because this thread is proof in-itself

Originally posted by MayaPapaya9@Jul 29 2004, 03:02 AM
Is this pic yours, if so can I post it elsewhere? It's so hilarious it deserves to be passed on to appreciating friends.
[snapback]317680[/snapback]​

:lol:

the pic isn't mine...i found it in another forum...feel free to post it wherever you'd like :flower:

Originally posted by Lena@Jul 29 2004, 03:34 AM
voting is compulsory in Greece (only on national elections, not for the EU ballots)
[snapback]317662[/snapback]​

Lena - i think it ought to be complusory here too. We have a really poor turnout. The EU elections last month were particularly bad. When you think of the struggle people had to obtain the right to vote - its terrible. We only had universal suffrage here about 80 years ago. Then you look at other countries where there still isn't.... we are so spoilt.

Originally posted by CaptainJackSparrow@Jul 29 2004, 02:46 AM
i just found this LMAO
perfect for me :lol:
[snapback]317667[/snapback]​

My sentiments exactly.

we are spoileded in most developed westernized countries... too many people take what we have for granted and don't even realize or don't appreciate how hard some people had to fight for us to have what we have now...

i think anything that gets a dialog going is positive...

Originally posted by softgrey@Jul 29 2004, 09:33 AM
we are spoileded in most developed westernized countries... too many people take what we have for granted and don't even realize or don't appreciate how hard some people had to fight for us to have what we have now...

i think anything that gets a dialog going is positive...
[snapback]317775[/snapback]​

I put such apathy down to the stranglehold big business has over governments .

Here in the UK , Rupert Murdoch through the influence of his newspapers , especially ' The Sun ' , forces Blair and his colleagues to ' toe the line ' !!!

Likewise the pernicious influence of ' The Daily Mail ' with its xenophobia and petit-bourgeois prejudices . :angry: :angry: :angry:

Ordinary people feel that their vote counts for nothing against such vested interests .

KIT :cry: :cry: :cry:

well-how does one change this...?...i feel like voting is the ONLY way to change things...

you are right softgrey - literally every vote counts. Kit - the Sun & the Daily mail are the pits!! The Uk is driven by the mob cxulture that these papers promote. No-one thinks for themselves anymore...

Originally posted by softgrey@Jul 29 2004, 09:45 AM
well-how does one change this...?...i feel like voting is the ONLY way to change things...
[snapback]317782[/snapback]​

EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION. I can't stress this enough. Every social change that was ever made came by grassroots. It's not like the wealthy and powerful decide to be nice one day and make life better for society. The more educated the masses are, the less brainwashed they are, the faster human progress will occur.

well-said faust...

i haven't read very much in the past years...mostly just magazines and newspapers etc... and i feel like my brain has atrophied...i can't believe how much i struggle with spelling and grammar when i'm writing on this forum...i never even used to have to think about it...but it's because i used to read constantly...so it was second nature to me...

i think need to go back to some more academic pursuits...

SOFTGREY :heart:

AGREED ABSOLUTELY , but the daily ' pap ' in the tabloids and on rubbish TV sends the message that its no use doing anything ( eg , use one's vote ) because ' THEY ' , the liberal bleeding hearts , will not take cognizance of the opinions of ordinary people , so why vote , it's a wasted gesture .

If only ' ordinary people ' were to wake up !!!

But why bother thinking , when there's the England football manager's latest affaire to read about , plus the infidelities of David Beckham , Wayne Rooney et al .

SOOOOO much more interesting !!! :angry:

Bread and circuses !!! :yuk:

Sad , but true .

KIT

( I'll get down off my soapbox now :blush: ) .

Originally posted by kit@Jul 29 2004, 10:03 AM
SOFTGREY :heart:

AGREED ABSOLUTELY , but the daily ' pap ' in the tabloids and on rubbish TV sends the message that its no use doing anything ( eg , use one's vote ) because ' THEY ' , the liberal bleeding hearts , will not take cognizance of the opinions of ordinary people , so why vote , it's a wasted gesture .

If only ' ordinary people ' were to wake up !!!

But why bother thinking , when there's the England football manager's latest affaire to read about , plus the infidelities of David Beckham , Wayne Rooney et al .

SOOOOO much more interesting !!! :angry:

Bread and circuses !!! :yuk:

Sad , but true .

KIT

( I'll get down off my soapbox now :blush: ) .
[snapback]317799[/snapback]​

But... but... David, he is sooooooooooooo cuuuuuuute!!!
:rofl: :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanillaCrush
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->