fashion history...

leblue15

Reaction score
I don’t know if this is the right forum to post…but I need help, I’ve been assigned a homework where I have to investigate the history of fashion, biggest trends, influence, etc from 1970 to now days, so do you know any website that could be helpful, or even a thread in TFS?

WHo do you think is the most influential designer from 1970-2007? Or right now who would you think is the most innovative and creative designer?

Also I need to investigate a photographer or artist that is very innovative, and change in a way the art scene (also from 1970 to these days)…But I have no idea who to pick…any ideas?

Thanx in advanced for any help :flower:

I would like more info about these topics too:flower:

For most influential designer...I would say Cristobal Balenciaga.
Also, The End of Fashion by Teri Agins would be a good reference to use about how marketing has changed fashion and how couture has changed also. I would recommend getting that book....sorry I'm not too much help :P

i'm sure there are several big 'changes' in those years
70s, 80s, 90s the fashion is all different
so best to maybe research each decade and even pick a designer you like from each

and if you are following the trends now, you can see even the outlook in 2007 is completely different from 2005, no? :P

There's a series of books about fashion by decade (I can't remember the name though), so that would be something to look for.
My vote for most influential designer after 1970 is Stephen Sprouse. He wasn't the most commercially successful, but so many designers refer to his work because he was so far ahead of his time. It's hard not to see his influence in fashion today. Vivienne Westwood, Azzedine Alaia, and Commes de Garcons are also a good choices.
My vote for most innovative and creative today would be John Galliano.
As for photographers, Helmut Newton is probably the most famous from that time period.

nice choices sam....
you seem to know your stuff..
welcome to tFS...:flower:

For the seventies designers i'll say : Biba, Vivienne Westwood, Zandra Rhodes, Jasper Conran, Katherine Hammet (LONDON) Jean Paul Gaultier, J.C de Castelbajac, Montana, Muggler etc. (PARIS)
+ all the japanese coming to Paris : Kenzo, Miyake, Yamamoto, Rei Kawakubo etc.
Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren...(usa)

For inspiration if you don't know what to look at : Charlies Angels, Jane Birkin, Bianca Jagger, Annie Hall, Warhol, Studio54, David Bowie, Gary Glitter, Punk vs Hippie, Patti Smith, Nina Hagen etc.

The 70s was a mini revolution as Anti-Mode was the moto. but then you have punk, hippie (maybe anti-mode), disco...
I think it all depends where you lived... London was more Punk, USA were first hippie then disco...
I think there was not yet the globalization we know now...

Last edited by a moderator:
80s was all about power and "emergence" of minorities (think about the hip hop in nyc)...
designers : versace, alaïa etc. all about the body and how to look "bigger" on the streets.
london has his neo-romantics : boy george...

well everything is confused... but you can catch some names...

my fav. book about Fashion History is La Mode by Charlotte Seeling. and taschen made some little books (7€) about each decades... they are full of ads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicemercedes
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->