Fashion Illustration/Sketching/Drawing : Tools, Croquis, Templates & Books

Where could I get really good fashion figures? I printed out some googled oned but most are boring and boring. Do you guys have some that maybe you could kindly scan and send to me?

I have a book called "dibujo para diseñadores de Moda" Ed. Parramón. It's in Spanish so i don't think this information can be really useful to you but in this book there are different postures and figures and it's pretty interesting. It tells you how to draw the figures but also how to draw your ideas if, for example, you're imagining and drapped outfit and you don't know how the light would appear in there. There are a lot of example since very realistics figures till an idea with a few lines.

People told me that "9 heads" is a really good book too. I haven't see it though.

If you wanna use an interesting pose i suggest you to ask a friend to pose for you and then draw it on your own style. I do that when i have to illustrate something i have in mind and i can't find the correct pose.

If you want some figures i can send you my scans of the book. There are many different styles of figures.

I think today i wrote worse than i normally do, uh.

Which book is better, 9 Heads or Fashion Sketchbook by Bina Abling? If you could only purchase one, which would you purchase or recommend?

Is say both books are good for different purposes. For instance 9 heads is really good for drawing all different parts of the body, its very specific and has tons of poses. Fashion sketchbook on the other hand is better for illustrating clothes but there are several editions, try to look for the newer edition. So id say it depends on your own needs, if you need to improve your drawing skills go for 9 heads or need better techniques for ilustrating go for the fashion sketchbook. good luck!

Thanks so much! I think I'll be picking up 9 heads then, as I am more interested in drawing the body than specific clothes.

I think I might be buying one of Patrick John Ireland's books, they look pretty good.

Look up Andrew Loomis. :smile: THE master of figure drawing and applied anatomy. All of his books are out of print, but accessible online if you look hard enough. How can you design clothes without understanding the underlying skeleton, muscles and skin that moves with and against fabric? I've always had issues with the idea of an 8 head figure, especially when it has to be made to fit.

Chartpak bleeds all over, i tend to use them for background. for detailing, I use Prismacolor.

Quick tip I've learned...

Use vellum paper for markers, use both sides too. When you get lines from the ink drying, flip it over and define. And in that instant when the ink is still wet and fresh off your marker, use a cotton ball with a little Zippo fluid on it to blend. OR wet the paper with Zippo fluid and then draw on it. I've had a lot of luck with Primas doing this. It's not the marker, but the operator. And the tricks they know.

PS: Alcohol accelerates drying, fluid slows it. Oh, and when your marker felt gets dull and frayed, re-cut the tip with a razor to sharpen the point. Use a 'utility knife', they're big and easier to handle than an Exacto. And the blades are cheaper, last longer, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have both 9 heads and Fashion Sketchbook. Sketchbook is more about clothing and 9 heads focus on the figure. They have some really cool figures in there. I was surprised I could draw them too. I also have a few other books on templates as well. Some also have a good amount of rendering and all that good stuff too.

Drawing DOES take a lot of practice. My problem is that I am a perfectionist. If my figure does not look right I DO get angry, but I have learned from that and not to get too angry when something does not come out the way I imagined it lol. Surprisingly when I first began to draw again I sucked like crap!!! Nobody could tell me I was good because they would be flat out lying!! By the time that semester ended I could not believe how my hand got sooo free. Trust practice does help. You can also get figure ideas from magazines. You can look at the shape and form. Using a Croquis does not make someone less talented either. I used to see if I could draw some things from the books just for fun lol. Funny because I drew stuff from 9heads and Fashion Sketchbook and it looked exactly like the book. WOW!! So practice. It does take a lot of time, and a lot of practing. Just keep drawing it and you will get better. And besides I am not trying to be a fashion illustrator so I don't need pretty looking pictures and stuff. I know this is a Fashion Illustration thread. One thing that I cannot get on a drawing no matter how hard I try is the shoes. LOL. Terrible!! I think everything else is fine.

I remember when I first started I was too busy getting angry and upset by trying to perfect the croquis I barely even focused on the designer. Which is why I would rather have some Croquis so I don't have to get upset but now that I have a free hand I don't really get upset anymore. I am not perfect but I am very, very happy with the progress I did make over the course of a few months. Nice.... But the only thing is that I have not drawn in so long and I don't remember how the heck I drew a lot of the designs I did draw. If I could only find them I can see... DAMNIT!!

I still don't have the time to be fighting with a croquis lol. I would rather have a croquis already. I am beginning to think about mejust doing my stuff free handed. I dunno. I have also heard that some designers do you croquis. I have heard some designers do not sketch but drape their designs, and don't even get me started on the ones who have a designer under their behinds and just give their supposedly ideas or "vision" to them and have THEM draw it out, while they take credit for it. We all know who they are too. That being said I think there are a million and one ways to get out your ideas. The thing is having your own style and being able to bring it to life.

I bought essential fashion illustration poses and it's really good, I enlarged them via scanner and printed them because I needed them to be bigger.

I actually have both 9 heads and Fashion Sketchbook. Sketchbook is more about clothing and 9 heads focus on the figure. They have some really cool figures in there. I was surprised I could draw them too. I also have a few other books on templates as well. Some also have a good amount of rendering and all that good stuff too.

Drawing DOES take a lot of practice. My problem is that I am a perfectionist. If my figure does not look right I DO get angry, but I have learned from that and not to get too angry when something does not come out the way I imagined it lol. Surprisingly when I first began to draw again I sucked like crap!!! Nobody could tell me I was good because they would be flat out lying!! By the time that semester ended I could not believe how my hand got sooo free. Trust practice does help. You can also get figure ideas from magazines. You can look at the shape and form. Using a Croquis does not make someone less talented either. I used to see if I could draw some things from the books just for fun lol. Funny because I drew stuff from 9heads and Fashion Sketchbook and it looked exactly like the book. WOW!! So practice. It does take a lot of time, and a lot of practing. Just keep drawing it and you will get better. And besides I am not trying to be a fashion illustrator so I don't need pretty looking pictures and stuff. I know this is a Fashion Illustration thread. One thing that I cannot get on a drawing no matter how hard I try is the shoes. LOL. Terrible!! I think everything else is fine.

I remember when I first started I was too busy getting angry and upset by trying to perfect the croquis I barely even focused on the designer. Which is why I would rather have some Croquis so I don't have to get upset but now that I have a free hand I don't really get upset anymore. I am not perfect but I am very, very happy with the progress I did make over the course of a few months. Nice.... But the only thing is that I have not drawn in so long and I don't remember how the heck I drew a lot of the designs I did draw. If I could only find them I can see... DAMNIT!!

I still don't have the time to be fighting with a croquis lol. I would rather have a croquis already. I am beginning to think about mejust doing my stuff free handed. I dunno. I have also heard that some designers do you croquis. I have heard some designers do not sketch but drape their designs, and don't even get me started on the ones who have a designer under their behinds and just give their supposedly ideas or "vision" to them and have THEM draw it out, while they take credit for it. We all know who they are too. That being said I think there are a million and one ways to get out your ideas. The thing is having your own style and being able to bring it to life.

This sounds like me! I'm still working it out...

Holla. I found my drawings. They were really nice and I am still asking myself how did I learn to do this. Okay. I guess its back to the drawing board.

Also, I have a question for some people?
A lot of people were saying, take a figure drawing class to other people, but would you personally take a figure drawing class before actually taking a fashion art n design class?

fashion art n design all-in-one class ?

do you mean a fashion illustration class?

Naw... I really mean figure drawing by itself and fashion art class all by it self. Which would you take first? Because everyone talking about taking figure drawing classes thats why I am asking.

Thanks

Naw... I really mean figure drawing by itself and fashion art class all by it self. Which would you take first? Because everyone talking about taking figure drawing classes thats why I am asking.

Thanks

i've never heard of a fashion art class...
what's in it?

Help for the development of the World's 1st fashion sketchbook

A Little bit Background
When I was studying in fashion school, I got an idea of a sketchbook specially designed for fashion designers but at that time I didn't do it as I was busying with my final year collection. But about 3 months ago, I decide to make it real, I quitted my job and started collecting informations and data and making sketches.

After 3 months, I finally make them presentable to the public (thanks for some comments made by the TFS members who I send the idea to their private inbox) and I really really want some feedback of this book or using the template from some people in order to improve it.

3127619316_f0484d6660_m.jpg

Idea:
Combine a sketchbook with time saving fashion information (Library Part) & semi-transparent fashion templates (Laboratory Part), inspired from Moleskine or some tool books.

What's in the 30 pages of Library part:
  • 500 designers list
  • Measurement tools
  • Body Measurement system
  • 10 basic patterns
  • Specs Sheets
  • Typography and Boards
  • Books and Bookmarks list
  • Fashion events
  • Textile information
  • Monthly Calendar
  • Contact Sheets
How about the 180 pages of Laboratory part:
  • Figure templates
  • Technical templates
  • You can download the templates here to try
  • or watch the video demos of how I use it
  • The template is made semi-transparently so the users can treat them as blank pages

Contribute
:

I hope that the fashionary can bring convienient to fashion designers and fashion students, they will bring this book out to research or for daily use, so all feedback which help the development are appreciately welcome.

For details of the project, please visit: fashionary.org

Feedback

I support the whole idea of the book!
especially the textile information as well as the size measurement!

Yet, it wold be great if you develop another one for Menswear design.

Thx for your comments,
I will include a menswear designers' version if things go well... like people actually like using the book or some distributor like the ideas and give me a hand for publishing them.

I was wondering what types of templates work best for designing clothing? Do most designers use a finished croquis? IE: makeup, hair, skin tone? Or is it easier to draw clothing on one that is basic and black and white, mainly for the silhouette?

I would also like to ask if Prismacolor is the best marker to use.

In my experience, designers mostly use a perfected figure in a basic pose and generally keep the same face/hair.. when designing first draughts, don't get too fussy. I am usually recomended to start in balck and white; then copy and try different colours/combinations...
I think Promarker or Pantone are the best markers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->