Fashion Industry Careers - Options (See individual threads for specific careers.)

marrimoda

doing it
Reaction score
Do any of you know the basic requirements to finding a job in design. There are a couple of topics in this section of the board specifically about Fashion schools...I'd really like to know if you think a Certificate in fashion design is respected in the industry...versus a degree in fashion design?

Can you really get a good job in the industry with a Certificate? What's the difference between the certificate and the degrees?

Anyone know???
Thanks.

you need some kind of degree, in europe, even a good private school will be enough when job hunting. A book with sketches and some finished garments (up to three) is a very good refference of your abilities & style, those count more than the certificate/degree when you start job hunting.

* fresh after your degree, you could either try interning or get an assisting post somewhere or just have a go at your own as a start-up company.
* degrees& diplomas are not very important (if they dont come from StMartins, FIT, or the other prestigious fashion schools) they are just there to prove you know what you are doing and of course they are absolutely nessecary.
*your 'book' and those 'made by you' pieces are the basic passport to find a job.

good luck and please dont double post your topics :flower:

With all the necessary "requirements" how does one go about getting an internship? Do you jsut contact the perosn you would like to work with and ask if they have any positions open? Anyone know?

Originally posted by ykidkwis@Jan 20th, 2004 - 12:07 pm
With all the necessary "requirements" how does one go about getting an internship? Do you jsut contact the perosn you would like to work with and ask if they have any positions open? Anyone know?
yes, you start contacting companies you know that suit your goal/style while also browsing internships on the web etc. Your school could also be able to hook you with internships, usually those are non-payed jobs, which means not that hard to get :wink:

Thanks for the response Lena. I already have an undergraduate degree (journalism) and I've taken a couple of classes, which I'll continue doing. I just wondered about the weight of a degree versus this Certificate program, as I go along. I am making a career transition after roughly a decade in journalism. I want to set myself up well for design.

My next question -- how is it finding work or creating your own line if you live in an area that is outside of the major fashion centers. I live in new york now but within the next year I may move to Miami area. I've got some concerns about finding work -- short of starting my own thing or doing nothing but alterations :smile:

Thanks for the responses...I've enjoyed looking at this site.

Fashion Industry Careers

I want to be a doctor. It's my first passion when it comes to a life long career. But I have also been thinking about second career choices, in case becoming a doctor doesn't workout, for whatever reasons.

I love fashion. I'm obsessed. I'd love to become involved in the industry. There are 3 careers I'd be interested in.

Writer for a fashion magazine. I love to write. I'm constantly composing short stories, poetry, and am even working on a novel. I write for our school paper.

Fashion designer. Once again, I love to sew, to create. I started sewing barbie clothes when I was 8, with the help of my grandmother. She's the one that tought me how to sew. :blush: My mother is a seamstress, and she helps me. We are going to sew my prom gown together. I love to sketch out designs but I'm horrible when it comes to drawing! :P

Make up Artist. This is the most fun of all things. It's real art. Painting, really. I'm always doing my friends make up when we go out. They are even letting me do their make up for prom, which will be the most fun of all. I love how beautiful everyone is, and how you can enhance it with make up, so they can see it too when they look in the mirror.

As far as I know, all these fields are very competitive. But I'd rather be poor and doing what I love. I'm not concerned about money. Can anyone give me any advice on how to achieve these dreams? Any reccomendations on which field is better for a career choice? What kind of training is needed, the best schools, what you need to get accepted...

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. :flower:

Wow awesome topic lovespell!! i've been meaning to start one on the writing part of the fashion world and what kind of schooling and such you need.

I was just about to post a topic to a similar effect as well! I'm a highschool freshman and they are trying to get me to pinpoint what I want to do with my life. My ideas of now are between a career in fashion, law, or business. I have a passion for fashion and everyone always tells me I have a great eye. My friends always take me shopping with them because I help them round out their style and give them a look. I also love drawing and designing clothes. I'm very big into drawing inspiration from fourties and fifties cut dresses. I'm really interested in a career in fashion but I have very few ideas of how to pursue this succesfully. Great topic choice!

To become a fashion writer, I would think journalism school is needed with maybe some fashion history courses etc.

Fashion Designer, well there are so many schools, where are you living now? Maybe then we can suggest what schools we know of in your area.

The others I have no idea about, but I know there are several programs for each.

Many blessings on your choice :flower:

This is a great topic! I loooooove fashion, as well as makeup and would love to switch careers. Currently I am working as a HR assistant, and although I am good at my job, I realize it is not something I love and would want to do for the rest of my life. I have been thinking about maybe going back to school to learn more about the industry.

I'm also from Boston and I haven't heard of any good programs around here to do this. I would love to have a career in fashion marketing. And in a dream world, possibly become a stylist or makeup artist. :angel:

awesome thread. :flower:

yeah, i always wanted to know how someone would go about the schooling to become a fashion editor or something.

i'm going to college for fashion design, but so many other aspects of the fashion world interest me. great topic.

do you want to hear the truth?

it's all about who you know...having wealthy parents helps and maybe doing an internship at a magazine for the summer.

But you will have to come to NYC for a fashion design school in the US. Parson's is the only one worthwhile.

For writing-get the best degree in journalism you can. Start writing some samples on fashion-related topics to send out to potential employers.

For make-up, just start doing it. try to get a team together and start testing-
shooting photos to put together a portfolio. This is true for stylists and photographers and models as well. Then you just have to pound the pavement with the book-(that's what a portfolio is referred to as)-and try to get jobs.

You have to be very determined and not easily discouraged. The competition is fierce! That's why it helps to have friends or contacts who can get you in to see the right people.

Be very nice and try to make people like you so they will want to help you!
that is the best advice I have to give!

Good Luck! It's tough out there!

I think being a doctor would be great, because then you could afford all the clothes you love, without the drama of th fashion world-and it really is a world unto itself...
there are some very unpleasant folks in this business. It can get pretty nasty.

I know theres pettiness...but what is it about this business thats nasty or dramatic? I'd like to know before I get in too deep!

Originally posted by softgrey@Jan 29th, 2004 - 7:51 pm

But you will have to come to NYC for a fashion design school in the US. Parson's is the only one worthwhile.
FIT is also good and a hellauva lot cheaper. and it doesnt matter so much where you go as how much talent and drive you have.

Originally posted by smashinfashion+Jan 30th, 2004 - 8:34 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smashinfashion @ Jan 30th, 2004 - 8:34 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Jan 29th, 2004 - 7:51 pm

FIT is also good and a hellauva lot cheaper. and it doesnt matter so much where you go as how much talent and drive you have. [/b][/quote]
I went to FIT and while it is good for some subjects, I wouldn't recommend it for Fashion Design. It's definitely cheaper though and if price is an issue, it's better than nothing. You will at least make contacts and meet people. And it's true, a lot will depend on your own individual drive.

It' hard to explain the drama. If you're still in HS then just imagine it's like that. petty, competetive, JEALOUSY, insecurities, bullies, talking behind people's backs, not knowing who you can trust-(basically no one), people who destroy other people because they think it's fun or they are bored or insecure. Who knows why they behave the way they do. It's kind of a superficial industry which attracts nutty, shallow people who don't necessarily have their priorities in order.

Everyone is very selfish and greedy and out for themselves, even if it means crushing someone else. People will test you to see how far they can push you. There are all kinds of power struggles. It's like that at the top of every profession, it's just slightly more ridiculous when you think that all we're doing is playing dress up... It takes the fun out of it, so you really have to be passionate to keep going. It takes a particular type of personality. Someone who doesn't give up easily and isn't very sensitive. Maybe you're that kind of person... I don't know. It's not so bad in the beginning, but it just gets to you after awhile.

Good luck toyou , whatever you decide. Follow your instincts, they are usually right. You'll know what's right for you. xx :heart: :flower:

wow...I must admit youve got me think about this fashion thing...Particularly because I just left a career that was sickeningly superficial, unfair, and discriminatory. I must say I'd be a fool if I didnt think a lot of fashion people were not selfish, egotistical, superficial. But I think I cant even imagine how bad it can get.

I'm going to Parsons now. Its definetly interesting...and I've never seen so many ugg boots (on girls who arent from cold climes no less :wink:

I think that if I didnt think I could someday go on my own designing, then I just wouldnt be going back to school for this at all. I've learned from my last profession -- definetly pick a line of work where you dont HAVE to work for a company...its just not what it used to be.

Anyway, a lot of the instructors at Parsons are FIT grads...so I started wondering...why am I paying all this $$$ to be at Parsons, just to learn from FIT'ers -- no offense -- its just logic. I took a look at FIT's curriculum...the classes are very career specific, almost too specific...I definetly dont want to limit myself.

marrimoda what do you think of parsons?

i'll be going there this upcoming fall, but i would love to hear what you think about the teachers, the curriculum, everything... :blush:

thanks a lot.

Originally posted by marrimoda@Feb 2nd, 2004 - 9:12 pm

Anyway, a lot of the instructors at Parsons are FIT grads...so I started wondering...why am I paying all this $$$ to be at Parsons, just to learn from FIT'ers -- no offense -- its just logic. I took a look at FIT's curriculum...the classes are very career specific, almost too specific...I definetly dont want to limit myself.
I thought the majors were all too specific as well. It's very hard to choose your major before you've even taken an introductory class-and I was also going back to school at age 23. I can't imagine how a 16-17yr old does it. A lot of people I went to school with switched majors aft 1 yr or got 2 2-yr assoc degrees in diff subjects.

The adv to FIT is that it's a 2 yr program, which means it's very (and I mean very)intense, but you're just done faster. I was lucky and I had some amazing Professors in my dept. \All young grads from the dept who were freelancers and taught part-time. One of them wound up giving me my first asst job. I think the grads are ok-it's the old timers working at FIT that are the dinosaurs who are out of touch. Anyway- it will always be the same at any school-you will get out of it what you put in...

I think of this business like giving birth-it can be difficult and painful at times-and sometimes it makes you sick to your stomach-but when you see the baby-you forget about the pain...sometimes it's the best job in the world...You just need the stamina to get through the morning sickness... :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

The pregnancy reference was a good one :lol:
Yeah, I get that...my last career was starting to show fewer good moments to counteract the bad moments...hence my "transition". Besides, it wasnt the kind of career in which mature/aging women are welcome. Though I'm not over the hill yet, it'll happen to me just as it happens to everyone, so I felt I should make the career switch before I'm older.

I do plan to take a jewelry class at FIT, parsons doesnt have that.

As for parsons -- marcjacobsaddict:
I can say so far its very interesting...maybe ask me that again in a few months when I've been more exposed. I am doing the two-year degree in one year since I already have my B.A. and have already taken other art/fashion related courses Ive got enuf credits to get through this in a year. It is intense however. MANY classes, all of them demanding, and little room for slip-ups. This is an academically STRICT school, and I say that having been to two other universities/colleges in my life. If youre not ready for a complete committment to your education...dont go to parsons. Some teachers have already said they dont give out A's unless you are doing professional level work. Thats why everyone here says its not the grades, its your work...

As for environment, it is a very diverse community...people in my classes come from all over the world specifically to get parsons training. I like that. One other thing have I mentioned its expensive?? I know I have ...really...its not just the tuition, be prepared to buy a lot of expensive art, sewing supplies...and the text books...I've already bought three 80-dollar books. Thats expensive to me anyway.

Hey lovespell,
Wow two very different career paths. I currently work part time in the industry and personally find it very challenging, tiring, superficial but often rewarding.

When I was a school I dreamed of being a designer but in Australia there are few options for fashion courses and very compeditive. Since then I've decided full time fashion would probably kill me, so I work in theatre most of the time, sometimes film and spend about 10 weeks a year involved with fashion week commitments.

I started off as a dresser and worked my way up through head dresser, to back stage co-ordinator. I also work as a stylist on occasions. And at Australian Fashion Week in November I made the outfit(well skirt) that launch the week. I get to work with amazingly talented people and some little upstarts, but I now know who to suck up to and who I can tell to tow the line.

It is damn hard work. Long thankless hours and your success isn't based on how much you put in.
So good luck with your descision making process. Hope this has helped. jayne :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brky1907
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->