Fashion Journalism

pointup

living in the sprawl
Reaction score
I'm starting studying journalism and english in college this coming fall. I'm not sure what I want to do beyond writing, but am considering fashion journalism. Considering being hoping I will be talented enough to make it in such an industry..

My question is, is there any kind of education one needs to become a fashion journalist? Or will a degree in journalism do? I'm also planning to attend the writers workshop at Iowa if I can get accepted to earn a BFA in creative writing...Thanks for all your help everyone ^_^:flower:!

hey pointup, it really depends on what type of journalism you're aiming for. Magazines, you'll jsut have to take a ton of unpaid internships anywhere you can. Past that, there's more experienced people on here than myself Newspapers, I can tell you about. I graduated in Dec 2004, and I've been plugging away at the features section of my paper. Basically I have my job (government reporting) and i'm taking on freelance for features. A better way i should have done it is to get a features internship in college and then try and jump into a features section out of college. It's hard to do, but if your'e good, you'll get it. Write a lot for your college paper. if they don't cover fashion, ask them if you can start, i doubt anyone would have a problem with it.

thanks angyl :smile:! My college paper is apparently tough to get in to, and is rated among the top 10 in the nation.. But, I'm determined! I was thinking about applying for sports intern since its the only position opening :lol:.

i've been freelancing as a fashion journalist for quite some years -i'm actually thinking some offers to start writing again- only thing i have to do is to know how to built a phrase, to know what i'm writing about, to propose fresh ideas and to give my articles on time.. as far as this works nobody really cares about degrees

i guess a journalism degree wouldn't do and some 'samples' of work (think new creative ideas*) will help a lot when applying for a job
interning for no money is a problem but it will give you the chance to publish your work, so.. be prepared to start slowly.
anyway magazines unfortunately dont pay much (in europe) much more if you are freelancing.

let us know how it goes pointup, good luck with your journalism projects :heart:

How to be a Fashion Writer?

Can anyone tell me what qualifications I would need for this kind of job?

I've worked a lot with a stylist already and am now applying for work experience on magazines. is this all i can do (plus a lot of wishing and dreaming) or can anyone recommend another plan of action. I'm also hoping to do Fashion Promotion BA next year and an English Lit/ Media isn't an option although I have B in English Lit A Level. Anyone have any advice? Would be much appreciated!

Fashion Writing

This is mainly what I would like to do in my life. I wanted to start a thread for people who are interested in or already do write fashion articles.

I also wanted a thread where we can post our writing and get ideas for topics. So please, post away with your questions, writing samples, article ideas, likes or dislikes with fashion writing presently, favorite fashion writers, etc.

I have found a magazine looking for people to contribute fashion articles here in Austin, but I am lacking inspiration. Any ideas?

I was going to ask the same question, does anyone know what the qualifications are?

I'm only 14 but I'm already intrested in writing, I'm in the middle of building my Fashion site. I think it'd be something I'd like to do professionally in the future :D

AM a fashion dsigner but i also do some freelance writting. Just send ur sample articles to different magazines and newspapers. Thats what I did and i now write for a variety of publications.

I really, really want to be a fashion journalist. From a young age I've been fashion obsessed, and I'm constantly winning English prizes and scholarships. All I want to do is write. Sure, I'm 13, but I see no problem with starting early.

When I've been given a subject I can write and write and write well, but I'm greatly lacking in inspiration. Do any of you have any good ideas of subjects which I could write about? I've written about a few of the basics, but none of my subjects are really interesting. I'm begging you to help me, and I know that some of you are already journalists so much have lots of ideas.

Thanks,
-G.

along with the rest of the world, i want to somthing with fashion,jounalism or whatever and i need all the help i can get being that i want to be ''in'' and i want it quick!!!! please help with whatever. i feel a little too clueless!!!

Wow... I just typed a post that got deleted.

Anyway, I'm kicking off the writing sharing. I wrote this a few months ago when I was in a piss with Girlfriend magazine for various reasons. Reading back over it, it's very short and bad, but I'd love some opinions etc.

Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Am I the only teenager who despises ‘teen’ magazines?

The mere picking up of a Dolly or Girlfriend magazine generates so many questions in my mind. Such magazines claim that it’s great to be different, yet how do they produce adolescents who look all the same? Do girls really buy into that consumerism? Why must they spend $7 every month on learning how to look the same as everyone else? What are they teaching the parents of tomorrow? Finally, what were the editors thinking?

A trip to the mall will show that teenage society is lacking in true original dressers. Every second girl wears a uniform of skinny jeans, silly flimsy coloured leather slip-ons and detailed camisoles. The other half wear embellished jandals, boho skirts in terrible un-bohemian shades of orange or pink, and plain tank tops. Girlfriend magazine is beginning to feature articles about punk style, creating a style oxymoron. Punk mentality is based around DIY spirit and not following trends, but magazines making punk mainstream cancels the rebellion out, leaving a style of dressing as opposed to a lifestyle. My old Chuck Taylors and Ramones shirt are looking less appealing.

Even the more eclectic international magazines such as TeenVogue or ELLEgirl (with matching needless capitalisations in their titles) are simply feeders into their adult counterparts, Vogue and Elle. The latter magazines are very centred around brand loyalty, occasionally featuring photoshoots composed solely of Louis Vuitton. TeenVogue features Chanel purses costing over $600US, a completely unrealistic price for most teen girls, and has ads for Burberry and Hermés, re-enforcing the brand orientation of Vogue. The ‘A Room of my Own’ feature in TeenVogue claims to showcase ‘real girls’ rooms, but has rarely featured a teenager who isn’t the daughter of a designer or famous person.

With local magazines being to trend-orientated, and international ones focusing on expensive brands, all I want is a publication focused on style. True, individual, ahead-of-the-curve style. I want to read about fashion in other countries, I want to read opinions of trends, I want to read something that isn’t full of ‘omg 4 u’ and ‘SHRN’. My hard-to-please reading needs leave me in quite the dilemma. What do I read? It seems the answer, for now at least, is I don’t.

Don't be too harsh, I'm just a little kid!

-G.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stargirl52 said:

Anyway, I'm kicking off the writing sharing. I wrote this a few months ago when I was in a piss with Girlfriend magazine for various reasons. Reading back over it, it's very short and bad, but I'd love some opinions etc.

-G.

wow i completly agree!!! the the writing in my opoion is lacking a little bit of that spark that is alway's fun to read !!!! (don't be afraid to be brutally honest) i love the point that'a coming across in it, i think it's so true about all those really tacky articles about fashion in magazines. by the way, a mentor of mine suggested that i read less mainstream type magazines like vogue and focus more on other magazines ''like ,python and surface magazine. i normaly wouldn't give such tips but hey i feel like being a little less catty today good luck!!!!

Thanks so much for the comments. I've edited it a bit and added what I really think of things. I'm writing one at the moment about the Morbidly Unstylish, which is pretty much me bitching about trendwhore old women... :wink:

-G.

Stargirl52 said:

-G.

that's really good, stargirl! if you like to write, maybe you'd like to write for the sophisticate? click on the link in my sig! i think you'd like it! pm me if you have any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
peacelover142002 said:
that's really good, stargirl! if you like to write, maybe you'd like to write for the sophisticate? click on the link in my sig! i think you'd like it! pm me if you have any questions.

Woah, I'd totally love to! PM'ing you now.

-G.

reality

Just a dose of some secrets.... major in literature, journalism and you can write (fashion). I have friends and acquaintences who knows nothing about fashion and ended up writing about it for major fashion publishing houses and magazines.

Stargirl52 said:

-G.

i realllly think this is a hit Stargirl52...you are absoultely right and i cant agree more...i mean they try to like clone us with one fashion style to get other shops to gain money from us...cant a person be individual in this world?!:blink:

GReat idea

im trying to work in a magazine maself to write as a fashion editor..any advice to do it right?HELP HELP:shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->