Fashion Vs. The Recession

Just wanted to say the recession is not affecting our company at all
and a lot of your buyers are in the States

Only after the holidays was it slow, but this is usually expected
It was good to have the time to polish up old designs and make new ones

This has all been fantastic advice.
I'm looking into getting into the art institute in pittsburgh and I have been worried because it is rather costly and I am rather worried about the economy. Everyone voices "next depression! Head for the hills" but I am more understanding of what is going on from this topic. Thank you to all of those who have replied, you have kept it minimum on politics and entire honest (something extremely important.)

I think you really have to know what you want when considering job options in this economy. I actually overheard one of my professors say recently that even though the economy is not in the best shape right now, the best place to be is in school. The failing economy I think it just a wake up call to people about reality and that things can shift any moment. In a way I think it helps others realize their priories and if the path they're on right now is what will help them in the future. Even after the economy bounces back up, I think you always need to be prepared for the future and what can happen to you.

And I was listening on the radio as well that it's not just fashion grads who are having trouble finding jobs nowadays, it's college grads from various majors.

Everyone is feeling the crunch, including models

Fashion models feel financial crunch

The economic downturn affects the fashion industry, with even models working for 50% off.

February 2, 2009: 8:38 AM ET

PARIS (Reuters) -- Free designer dresses, an army of admirers and $15,000 to stroll down a catwalk: no wonder thousands of teenage girls aspire to being a top model.
But at the haute couture shows in Paris, the leggy blondes in silk dresses who advertise a life of luxury are finding their world turned inside out by the economic crisis.

"Half price! It's half-price everywhere, in Milan, even in New York," cried Anna Chyzh, a 23-year-old from Kiev who had just changed out of a Stephane Rolland haute couture gown into jeans and was headed to the next show.

Like many models from Ukraine, Russia and the Balkans, Chyzh regularly sends money home to support her mother, a freelance interior designer who is having trouble finding work because of the downturn. "She says, Anna, you have to help me now. So we have to work for Mum, we cannot refuse any contracts now," she added before disappearing in a swarm of equally blonde and skinny girls.

Shunned by scrimping shoppers amid rising unemployment and fears of a long, deep recession, retailers across the board have cut profit forecasts and marketing budgets. Even larger luxury goods groups are feeling the pain. Richemont, the Swiss firm behind Montblanc pens and Cartier watches, announced earlier this year it saw no signs of a recovery after third-quarter sales missed forecasts.

Magazine publishers from Conde Nast, which owns Vogue, to Time Inc. are seeing advertising sales dive, and the New York Times has said it expects sales to deteriorate further.

At the January fashion shows in Paris and Milan, a prime advertising opportunity for luxury brands, designers hired fewer models than last year. Models and agents are feeling the pinch.

Catwalk anomalies

At Premier Model Management in London, an agency that has represented Claudia Schiffer, clients who used to pay a daily rate of $4,200 are now arriving with a budget of half that, director Aidan Jean-Marie told Reuters.
To weather the crisis, agencies are adjusting their mix of so-called "commercial models," who attract a steady stream of low-key jobs such as catalogue shoots, and pricier "image models" who appear on catwalks and magazine covers.

"You need both sides to survive the downturn, but the balance shifts slightly toward the commercial models," said Jean-Marie. "The catwalk girls are not your day-to-day girls, they are anomalies, with measurements they had when they were 16 and still have at 18."

Karen Diamond, director at Models 1, the agency of supermodel Agyness Deyn, expects the full impact of the crisis to hit later this year since advertising budgets and show schedules are planned far in advance.
"Clients will go with established models rather than giving new faces a break, and it'll be tough for new girls," she said.

Since the collapse of the Soviet Union and the arrival of the Internet, modeling has turned into one of the most competitive and globalized job markets.

Today, a teenager from a tiny village in Eastern Europe, inspired by beauty pageants and television shows such as "America's Next Top Model," may e-mail her photo to an agent and find herself lifted to overnight fame. But in general, the lucky few who secure an agent are still a long way from succeeding. Diamond said half of the models her agency hires do not make it to the next stage as their teenage bodies fill out, or they decide to focus on their education.

The ones who do reach the top - not counting stars like Kate Moss or Naomi Campbell - can make $500,000 a year.
continue...

money.cnn.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Glamour crisis

Backstage at the Christian Lacroix haute couture show, such top models in pink puffball skirts, taffeta jackets and ruched dresses tower over a throng of stylists and photographers.

Minders help them cross the room on precariously high stiletto heels, make-up artists dab extra powder on their faces, assistants warn that the show is about to begin.

"Give me everything you got, baby!" a photographer shouts at a posing and pouting blonde in a froth of tulle.The mood is exuberant, but some have secret worries. "I'm having some doubt now because of this situation. We all do it for the money so if there is no more money, maybe I should go back and focus on my studies," said Georgina Stojiljkovic, a 19-year-old from Serbia with feline, scowling looks.

She put her degree in political science on hold a year ago to work full time and shares part of her fees with her family. "There is still more money in this than almost any other job. I earn more than my parents - it's kind of sad, they went to school and have worked for years," she told Reuters.
Suddenly looking serious, she said the crisis may be a good thing if it forced her to finish her university degree.

Anna Chyzh, the Ukrainian model, hopes her friends in the fashion industry will help her find other work if the phone stops ringing. Recruited as teenagers, with little experience in anything other than smiling at cameras, many full-time models interviewed at the shows did not have alternative plans but worried about work drying up.

Others said they had seen worse.
Talk of the downturn elicits a mere shrug and smile from Pablo Ballay, a lanky 23-year-old male model from Argentina at the Dior menswear show.
"A lot of models here are from Argentina, and when you live in that kind of country you live in a continuous crisis," he said backstage after the show. "So you see how well people live here and you say, what, this is a crisis?"
money.cnn.com/

These past few years I haven't done well, but moving from my parents' house did occur at a bad time; I've worked for one store that closed and I'm currently working for one that has not been predicted to outlast this recession, but I'm working awful part-time jobs that come and go anyway, so it's not too disheartening--I haven't lost my life's ambition or anything, but (like you) that might happen to be fashion-related, and not one time in my life has anyone accepted that as practical or wise. :P Things will turn around and fashion will become a viable career once more, back from near-impossible to a comforting 'difficult' (as everyone in my life has reminded me :innocent:)... Right now, though, we've been given the opportunity to develop many versatile skills that will help shape our tenacity and ensure that we won't be entirely reliant on fashion if we don't succeed immediately, at least, that's what I tell myself to make the idea of becoming a waitress less dismal... :lol:

part-time jobs that come and go? ^
you work at these stores along with second/third/etc jobs?

i've been wondering about that
using a "Temp agency"
as backup finances
Must resume my fashion dreams, even if I'm not getting enough pay :ninja: So must resort to other resources of income

a recession does call for added skills that can keep the dream alive while one takes on a job slightly different from what they really want. IT or business degrees always come in hand, especially as companies down size and highly value people who have the capabilities of two people.

This is a great point. Add some extra skills that fashion industry people commonly don't have.

Do you guys really think this is the 'new depression'? I'm in South-East Asia so I dont know how bad it is... yet. But my father told that me in one 1-2 years time, it'll get worse.. But how bad I dont know..

^Today I overheard my boss talking about the U.S. preventing other countries selling to their countries.. She heard it through the news maybe? "Protection Act" I think it was called. It will really affect our sales since most of our clients are American.

^Today I overheard my boss talking about the U.S. preventing other countries selling to their countries.. She heard it through the news maybe? "Protection Act" I think it was called. It will really affect our sales since most of our clients are American.

So you have seeing other countries to maintain the sales growth. i.e China, Russia, India, Mid.East, UAE... no?

NY Times
Rents Falling in New York’s Garment District

By J. ALEX TARQUINIO
Published: February 10, 2009
When models glide along the catwalks in Bryant Park during the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, which begins Friday, the economic scene will be far worse than it was during the previous Fashion Week last September. So it may seem counterintuitive that some New York fashion industry workers see a silver lining to the economic downturn — it helps them preserve their toehold in the city’s garment district.
“In a sense, we have a reprieve,” said Nanette Lepore, a New York fashion designer who manufactures 85 percent of her clothing line in almost 30 independent factories within a few blocks of her office on West 35th Street. “But we’ll be back in this battle again, if we don’t decide that the garment district is important to the heritage of New York.”
During the Fashion Week in September, Ms. Lepore took her final bow wearing a T-shirt that read “Save the Garment Center.” That plea is part of an informal grass-roots campaign that aims to keep rents affordable for the small pattern-cutters and trim shops that call the district home.
High rents are hardly the only problems plaguing the city’s fashion industry. Employment in the apparel trades has been shrinking drastically for decades, as tens of thousands of jobs have moved to China and other low-wage countries. After peaking around 275,000 in the 1950s, the number of apparel manufacturing jobs in New York has steadily declined to around 20,000 today, according to Barbara Byrne Denham, the chief economist at Eastern Consolidated, a New York broker.
Some fashion designers like Ms. Lepore say that unless the remaining core apparel industry is preserved, it will be difficult for them to design their fashion lines in New York — and next to impossible for young designers coming out of school to set up shop in the garment district, which spans the West Side of Manhattan on streets numbered in the 30s.
The average asking rents for office space in the district soared 78 percent in the three years from the end of 2004, peaking at almost $55 a square foot a year in November 2007. But asking rents have fallen back 23 percent since then, to around $42, according to Colliers ABR, a real estate broker in New York. That is still much higher than the rents of around $30 that prevailed four years ago.
But current rents are low relative to many other office areas, in part because most of the buildings are old, unrenovated factories. For example, in Times Square, which borders the garment district, the average annual asking rent is $76.33 a square foot. But Colliers estimates that 85 percent of the office space in Times Square is in modern well-equipped buildings — classified as Class A space — while only 16 percent of the garment district is Class A.
Zoning laws have long required landlords to rent much of the commercial space in the garment district to apparel companies, but the city eased some of those restrictions in 2005. The new rules made it easier for landlords to convert some former apparel factories to office space, especially along the avenues and on the western fringe of the district.
Even some of the companies that are thriving — like apparel importers and wholesalers — have started moving their showrooms off the avenues to side streets. Barbara Randall, the president of the Fashion Center Business Improvement District, said there was still strong demand for showroom space in the district, “but there is a trend for them to move to the side streets, as the buildings on the avenues convert to offices.”
Ms. Denham at Eastern Consolidated said that in the last decade, rising rents in more upscale office markets in Manhattan have pushed businesses as varied as advertising agencies and accountants to relocate to the garment district.
But that demand may be easing a bit. She speculated that in the current downturn, falling rents elsewhere might prompt some companies to start seeking bargains in more traditional office markets, like the West 50s or Rockefeller Center.
Brokers who represent tenants in the garment district say that lately some landlords have become more accommodating.
Nicky Heryet, a principal at Colliers ABR, said that, for example, she has a client who eventually wants to combine several apparel showrooms and sales offices into one large space; in the interim, the company does not want to commit to long-term lease renewals.
She recently negotiated a five-month renewal for her client for a 21,000-square-foot space and a six-month renewal for a 50,000-square-foot space. Typically, office leases in New York last 10 years, and Ms. Heryet said that landlords would generally not have signed such short-term deals when the real estate market was strong. “But now the landlords figure that any cash flow is better than no cash flow,” she said.
The changing balance of power may be seen in the differing approaches that a local real estate family has taken with two buildings in the garment district: 1359 Broadway, at the northwest corner of West 36th Street, and 1400 Broadway, at the northeast corner of West 38th Street.
Both buildings are owned by real estate partnerships led by Peter L. Malkin and his son Anthony E. Malkin, who own stakes in many prominent buildings in this part of Midtown Manhattan, including the Empire State Building. Both Broadway buildings are former garment factories, made of brick and steel in the early 20th century.
Earlier in this decade, at the start of the city’s real estate boom, the Malkins did not renew the leases of several small apparel companies at 1359 Broadway. They then renovated the 22-story 500,000-square-foot building from top to bottom. Once that was complete, “we weren’t going to retenant the building with apparel companies,” said Brian S. Waterman, a principal at Newmark Knight Frank, who is the leasing agent for both of the buildings.
But, Mr. Waterman added, “that was a different market.” Today, the Malkins are in the midst of a thorough overhaul of 1400 Broadway, a 37-story building with 930,000 square feet.
This time, they are taking steps to make the building more attractive to the apparel industry, in part by prebuilding fashion showrooms. So far, the lobby has been spruced up, and work is in progress on the elevators, bathrooms and electrical system.
Mr. Waterman said they hoped to attract fashion designers and garment showrooms to the building, although not apparel manufacturing companies.

tiggerouge: although i do agree with what you said... this kind of economic crisis we are in involves the very core that supposed to be at our disposal that you pointed out. back in the Great Depression it was only one place that took a hit, NYC; not the midwest, or the south, or the north states in America. now it's of global proportion.

back in the Great Depression era it was the stock market that collapsed. the banks were still healthy with emergency funds when need be. Unfortunately it is the major banks that collapsed and created this millenium crisis. With credit being scarce , next to nil, big and small businesses cannot survive or will have to cutback. Fashion is taking a hit. it's not going to go away because we do need clothing on our backs but it won't be as it was, if that.

there are positions open but for unpaid internships. how long will this continue, giving the outlook of the situation we are in, it's not looking promising in the near future. heck the supposed stimulus package Pres. Obama is proposing is near trillion dollars. certainly excess money will be a thing of the past.

So you have seeing other countries to maintain the sales growth. i.e China, Russia, India, Mid.East, UAE... no?
Our biggest clients are in the U.S., but I did hear we will be targeting Europe through more web marketing, because their economy's in better shape.

I was reassured for a while, but reading through these comments, I am more negative.

I'm getting depressed that I want to go into the fashion industry and I might not find a zest or value in it because my work would be unpaid. What about paying off college? What about actually finding a job? It seems like the chances are even slimmer now and that it only works well if you have prior connections-- but if you're a person like me who has no connections, you're in deep.

I don't think this will heal soon, I'm more than upset. It's a tough time for us dreamers.

Designers Favor A More Low-key Fashion Week

Scaling back is in style.
As semi-annual New York Fashion Week gets underway Friday, some big-name designers have pulled back, buyers are increasingly wary, and fashionistas have turned into recessionistas fearful of spending in a tanking economy.

An industry notorious for excess is confronting an unprecedented shrinking market, where the number of people willing to drop big bucks on clothing and accessories is dwindling. Even those not among the millions of Americans losing their jobs feel guilty, not to say ridiculous, chasing after the latest $5,000 "it" bag.

Designer Loris Diran, who is staging his sixth Fashion Week show off-site from the tents, says designers don't want to be seen as "Marie Antoinettes" indifferent to economic woes. "They are trying not to seem pompous and arrogant in the face of adversity," he says. "They're feeling it's almost politically incorrect to have a big $250,000 show."

The discrete-is-chic concept is taking hold at Fashion Week, as some designers shift gears for the tribe's biggest, most important trade conference.

Vera Wang, Betsey Johnson, Donna Karan, Monique Lhuillier, Naeem Khan and Alice Temperley are among those who canceled runway shows under the tents in New York's Bryant Park, in part because these lavish presentations can cost millions and include thousands of guests.

Instead, they're opting for downsizing to more informal, less expensive presentations (hundreds of guests, thousands of dollars) in stores, salons, studios or showrooms. "The intimacy of a smaller show feels much more appropriate for these times," Wang told Women's Wear Daily...

...Retailers face daunting risks trying to decide what to order. "The challenges are really great, and even more so than last season," says Ginger Reeder, spokeswoman for Neiman Marcus Group, which owns high-end stores Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman. "We're trying to be smarter, we'll be editing very tightly. But there's higher pressure on everybody."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2009-02-11-fashion-week_N.htm

:rofl: ^

And, I had mentioned in the Volunteering at Fashion Week thread ... that I had heard that the L.A. Mercedes Benz Fashion Week is no more. :cry: Partially because Smashbox Studios won't host it anymore because they were loosing money because they had to bump their regular clients and could no longer afford to do this. So I checked on the MBFW site ... and sure enough ... L.A. is no longer listed. http://www.mbfashionweek.com/ Thought that this is relevant in this thread, too.

SIGH I don't know where to start. My family has retail stores , that have been in business for over 30 years. We are hurt. BAD. We cater to a very high end crowd, and while the top tier consumer is still spending , they are spending WAY less. Walk-in or smaller spenders are virtually extinct. We have talked to many of our vendors [ Versace , Cavalli etc] and they are really hurting as well. Some of them are actually talking about ceasing all business with the U.S.! While I doubt that will happen , the industry is inside out and it's quickly appearing to be a Darwinian situation. Ny Mag had a couple of informative articles this week about the retail situation , here in the city . Retailers like Saks , have done years worth of damage , spoiling the consumer to expect 70% discounts , before the weather has even changed to wear the goods! It's a scary time for sure.

On a personal note, I have been less then satisfied with my retail -based career for years. The desperate state of my business has been the catalyst i needed to get off my *ss , and pursue a career in styling. While it started out as a creative outlet, the times at hand have forced me to consider as a viable source of extra income. Reading through the 'how to become a stylyist' gave me a load to think about , and the footing to start to build a gameplan [ my styling goals , and a plan to actually get there].

Babble babble,.... haha.... my point is...

There is a silver lining. I high-five whoever mentioned earlier that now is the time to hone your skills, pursue an education , and do what you can to expand our repertoire. It almost feels as though time has stood still in regards to industry growth. My take is that I have to hunker down , hope my business weathers the storm. In the meantime , while sales are beyond slow, I have the time to read fashionspot forums for hours on end haha, and soak up as much knowledge as i can . I've been miserable in retail for the last 7 years , and was too complaicent to do anything about it . Thank you recession / depression for forcing me to alter my thinking!

tiggerouge: although i do agree with what you said... this kind of economic crisis we are in involves the very core that supposed to be at our disposal that you pointed out. back in the Great Depression it was only one place that took a hit, NYC; not the midwest, or the south, or the north states in America. now it's of global proportion.

back in the Great Depression era it was the stock market that collapsed. the banks were still healthy with emergency funds when need be. Unfortunately it is the major banks that collapsed and created this millenium crisis. With credit being scarce , next to nil, big and small businesses cannot survive or will have to cutback. Fashion is taking a hit. it's not going to go away because we do need clothing on our backs but it won't be as it was, if that.

there are positions open but for unpaid internships. how long will this continue, giving the outlook of the situation we are in, it's not looking promising in the near future. heck the supposed stimulus package Pres. Obama is proposing is near trillion dollars. certainly excess money will be a thing of the past.

we are just entering the millenium .....
not to sound so pessimistic but i think there'll be harder things to happen in the future ....
:ninja::rolleyes:
that was just to underline the way media can drive us sometimes ... weight the words is important !

great post tiggerrouge !
:wink: ... pretty encouraging !

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CREATIVERESEARCH
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->