• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fur is back ... and so is illegal fur trade, CITES says

I second the Saga fur recommendation :flower:
I don't want to sound polemical... but concerning the fake fur, it's really different. It's like saying to a woman who likes pearls that fake pearls are the same. Concerning the cruelty, here again I'm not that convinced. Terrible things are alsooccuring because of the diamonds trades (and by terrible, I do not mean dead animals, I mean entire countries destroyed by civil war - think Sierra Leone). And nobody talks about it.
Fur trade must be legal, and under scrutiny (snow leopard killed? :shock: that's mad), fut pls do not say that fur wearer (I'm not one) are selfish or cruel... Anyway there will always be people ready to buy fur, so either you forbid it and then the black market will flourish (and black market is not particularly kind with animals...) either you reconsider the question, and then we try to make the deal the best possible

:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
i am sad reading all of this about animal poaching for their fur. it's one thing to kill an animal for food, and then utilizing everything that is unedible for other things: bones to be used as weapons/tools, fur for keeping warm in the winter. this was how it was ages ago. nowadays animals are killed purely for their fur alone.

i wish the demand for fur did not exist. and i agree with other TSFers, that wearing fur is not glamorous at all. but i don't know what there is to do to stop this. those who already wear fur, i am sure they will continue to wear fur, keeping up the demand. then there are designers like stella mccartney who consciously chooses not to use any animal parts in the fashion line. i was hoping that many more designers would follow suit. to my knowledge, so far there are none.

and to honest, i think wearing fur only makes sense if you live in super-freezing cold places like northern canada, alaska, siberia, etc. but then again, with technology these days, we have a lot of synthetic material that can keep us just as warm, if not warmer (check out all the north face equipment out there, like sleeping bags that can be rated for below freezing temperatures. they are not made of fur!)

... ^ as for diamonds, don't get me started on that. i am very anti-diamonds because of the trade itself (there's going to be a 3-part documentary on this at discoverytimes chanel next week!). and i don't know what's the big deal about diamonds. they are so overrated and there are more precious jewels out there that are more pretty and more rare, and many diamonds can be manufactured these days to be perfect (many are used in physics labs to perform high pressure experiments).

that is just awful.
cos they need a dead animal so they would feel like they worth more.
i agree, it is f***ing ridiculous

i dont understand the appeal of fur. real fur, fake fur, wild fur, farm fur...

i agree with shopping247 on the point it's one thing to kill animals for food and using the non edibles to make other uses. like cow skin for leather, that i can understand and tolerate. but it's just ridiculous to have them only for vanity.
diamonds are very much overrated. personally i dont get what's so attractive about it. the history and the price of a piece of diamond is not attractive for sure.

> /sagafurs.com/qualitysystem/farming/echics/index.php

That's company PR, not independent findings. Farming sounds humane in theory, but as we find with egg-farming and cattle-farming, when people go on site to see the procedures, the reality is very different to the airbrushed image. It doesn't put my mind at ease.

Fur is like a love you know is wrong, but you can't help wanting to have it and touch it. It's a deep thing inside, to be attracted to it. To see how people work with it, the skill of creating garments with it. I feel all of that, but I know it's a selfish passion. I love the sight of every image you've posted, but that's as far as I can go.

Because I was fascinated by the stuff, I have furs, old furs that have come from people who didn't want them any more. I wanted to know what they all felt like, different furs. And one of them was made in some other country, a long time ago, before bans came into place. It's a leopard, a real leopard, all dead and sewn up in the shape of a coat. The real deal. And it's disgusting. It tainted every fur I'd ever touched. If someone feels real fur is glamorous, is it because they haven't met a fur real enough to change their mind? It's what happened to me.

So I can see both sides, which is why I mentioned working with vintage pelts, as there will always be a demand for a certain amount of real fur, but we need not start intensively farming for new skins when we already have the raw material hanging around in old wardrobes. And textiles, they can do wondrous things with textiles, both natural and synthetic. Every year, there are new inventions. It would be a challenge, to see if we can come ever closer to emulating fur. After all, the market for good-quality fake fur is much larger than for the real thing.

I love fur and not afriad to say it,not afraid to wear it!!!

I also love seeing fur and the way it is used in collections today,now i am against illegal fur and that way of getting it!

Stuff like this sends shivers down my spine.
I just can't wear fur. I can't. I guess I could see why people might wear vintage fur... but I can't bring myself to do that either. My mother gave me her old MaxMara coatcoat with a huge fur trim... it's very beautiful. But when she made me try it on, and I felt the fur brush up against my skin, I knew I would never wear it. Even if I did look like a chic little eskimo.

The thing is, if there was no demand then there would be no supply. So maybe wearing old fur - even if it isn't directly killing animals - supports the fur industry. After all, if it is seen as beautiful... Oh, I don't know.

I don't think there is any answer, certainly not for everyone. Fur means different things to different people; no other material can inspire such love or loathing. You can't not have an emotional relationship with fur, whether it's one of desire or disgust. And that's what makes everyone's views on the subject so interesting. Me and fur have had a divorce, but I can still remember the love. Some are deep in the passion, while others can't see what the attraction is. Fur is like a love affair.

Nobody needs to wear fur. It's not necessary unless you live in somewhere remote and freezing without any access to other clothing. It's vanity, pure and simple and anybody who defends the process or starts harping on about how faux fur cannot capture the essence of real fur, is just deluding themselves that they're missing out on some form of luxury essential item. We don't need it. And it doesn't matter whether it comes from a wild animal or one bred for fur. They all feel the same things, so why does it make any lick of difference? It's like people who whinge about the Japanese hunting whales and then chow down on a steak. Or the people watching Animal Hospital, eating their pork TV dinners, crying because a pet hamster died.

let's wear the faux fur, i dont like animal crying to me at the middle of the night (as in the haunted scheme). lol

I love fur and not afriad to say it,not afraid to wear it!!!

I also love seeing fur and the way it is used in collections today,now i am against illegal fur and that way of getting it!

AGREED THANK YOU! Nothing Wrong With Fur! People eat meat an wear leather shoes everyday worldwide. Animals are not children! Its sick to me the way some people treat dogs as if they are people they could sponsor a 3rd World Child with all that doggy extravagence. Its a shame they are hunting down tigers like this is 1959 they already killed off so many of these endangered animals then an do belive those should be protected. Everything else should be free to be worn! FUR IS BACK LIKE IT, LIVE IT ,LOVE IT

To fuel the debate:
Fur never went away: it's been worn for an eternity. It's perhaps made a comeback in North America but countries like Italy have seen literally "packs" of women moving down the street in fur for well, decades if not centuries.
Fur is a luxury and has no substitute but is meant for a few not the masses.
It's like eating veal rossini or those sad little soya cubes vegetarians are so fond of being "just like real meat".
We should all be forced to wear pleather as well then.
Besides, wearing vintage fur still fuels the desire for the real thing doesn't it?

I recently viewed a news segment on certain chinese companies shipping dog (yes, dog) fur to replace coyote on garments and cat fur for rabbit! That's equally revolting. I will try and locate it..
I believe this stems from the unsatiable greediness of a few in the industry to keep up with demand for a bigger profit.

These opinions are strictly of the writer's own and not representative of the general forum readers. :rolleyes:

Sad little soya cubes? Ouch. It's not just like real meat, and nobody claims it is. Those 'sad little soya cubes' have been consumed in Asian countries for hundreds of years, because they taste nice. It's not the same at all as wearing faux vs. real, faux was invented to imitate the look and feel as much as possible of real fur.

I'm not speaking to my mother. She bought a new jacket with a fox collar. :ermm: It's so neanderthal.

:ninja:

Nothing is more fabulous than real fur. Its texture is one of a kind. But the planet is in trouble and animal diversity needs as much help as it can get. Killing for fur just to look good is murder. And shallow. Ahem....JLo

This thread reminds me of that gross as Prada bag. The grey squirrel looking one.

Fur should be worn only by animals.
I can't believe there are still people wearing real fur in our time where we don't have the need of wearing it :yuk:
Animals should be respected more

the crticisms lying in Fur is mainly in the "Technique" to obtain fur like skinning the animals alive (u can see them still running away without skin, just with bloody red flesh and muscles) but obtaining meat can be much cruel too like cramped animals space and inability to move around and forced feedings.
It may sound less cruel and disturbing if these materials are to be obtained just after inducing a painless death. You can't deny the fact or force yourself to think that fur is ugly or nothing glamourous (at least for me)
but i will definitely feel less guilty wearing them

Sickening.......

PETA....where are you?

Burning puppies and kittens from what we know....

Anywhoo...

I find it sad that people hunt for rare animals. Can't those f*cking nouveau riche people just wear fur from non-rare animals? Like, fur from animals which are also eaten? Some people think that fur is just plain wrong, but I see less a problem in them when animals are not simply killed for their fur, then tossed and burned.

Personally, I'd say fake fur all the way. But people who just got into money are more picky about showing off their status. But seriously, snow leopards and tigers? Are you sh*tting me? What's pretty about Tiger fur? The only cute tiger fur is on a living Tiger baby, not on some skinny woman with fake blonde hair.

(I also blame Gaultier. What was he thinking when he designed those fox head pants???)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanillaCrush
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->