That for my mom (it's a tray)

owl_site.jpg

alisonrose.com
for my best friend.

51fIbk8xxYL._AA240_.jpg

amazon.com for my fiance

5120Ldeh1FL._AA240_.jpg

amazon.com also for my fiance:smile:

I have a few other odds and ends for others, and I'm really pleased with how much I already have done this year:smile:

Gift Ideas

with Christmas just around the corner and a lack of inspiration...i need help! and im sure im not the only one, folks! :D
i thought it would be an idea to start a thread where we could help eachother finding the best gift for whatever is the occasion...of course, it should be our OWN idea what to give...but a bit of inspiration and help could help! :flower:

maybe just post the person you wanna give a present to, tell us what she/he is interested in?

:magic:

oh god, good idea. I'm so bad with presents I'd rather not give anything at all.. :doh:

all I'm eyeing for this holidays is a telescope for my mother. she's always wanted one and I finally found the one I'll get her. :heart:

other than that, I'm pretty lost. I particularly find my sister to be a frustrating case, she's very simple.. clothes or music really do it for her, which is completely opposite to me because that's something I have to choose for the most part.. but anyway, I keep giving her records and clothes every year to the point it's become so meaningless.. I don't know what else could she want... a book is out of the question, she won't read it.. she also doesn't wear accesories, she doesn't even carry a bag sometimes. hmm.

I tend to make mine personal, something unique. For example, I have a girlfriend who can buy anything she wants, literally. I'm a working girl with 2 degrees I'm still paying off so I cant :smile: But she LOOOOVES the Golden Girls. So I tracked down a bottle of perfume that had been used as a prop (perfum still in it) on the show at a LA Prop House. It was perfect - a piece of the show's history and it tied into her love of all fashion & beauty. And it cost be under $50. She said is one of the best things she's even gotten. Just an idea to make it unique.

^
thats a great gift.

I had a great gift planned for my boyf but now I have to come up with something new. We're both foodies and Alain Ducasse is just opening up a new eponymous restaurant in London at the Dorchester and my boyfriend was really excited about going but didn't think he would be able to afford it for awhile so I booked us a table and was going to pay for the meal as a gift. However, now it's opened to TERRIBLE reviews and he doesn't want to go! bah! I might try to book at Locatelli instead....

My thing is that I work in a mall, so I get tons of ideas and then poof, I end up giving stuff that is completely different.

I'm getting everyone in my family a bathrobe from my store-they are very comfortable. I'm getting my brother also a video game or two, I'm going to get my dad a Tiffany beer mug (yes, they do make them) and get my mom to buy a case of his favourite beer (it's a really pricey one), and then get my mom a Coach Madison wristlet in the gold and put a couple of makeup pieces in there. As far as my friends go, I don't have a ton to shop for-most of my friends are from work. I'm getting one of my friends his favourite cologne, another friend a VS Pink fleece, and then for the girls from work, I'm going to make them earrings.

I might get my boyfriend a MacBook Pro...or I might just give him a wad of cash and tell him to go pay off his credit card debt and that he'd better not let it build up again (yeah, I know, SO not festive). :P:lol:

i was thinking of making my closest peoples custom t shirts or hoodies from neighborhoodies.com....

this is a good thread! sometimes way before christmas i end up finding things (unplanned) that i just know will be perfekt for someone, so i grab them.
like this year, for my mum since shes a ginger, i found this magazine (more like a coffe table book sort of thing) called Androgyny which apparently only comes out every two years, and this issue is the ginger issue! i was so happy when i found it, its perfekt for her (she better like it! :D)
i like to get personal thing for people too, like my friends, if we have a special joke or something, or i also like to make chachka bags, with lots of cool little things.
also maybe go shopping with the person (not related to christmas shopping) but listen to what they say they like, or hint at, and when you give to them they will be so happy!

i just got my sister-in-law a giant nars makeup palette. i figure it's something you totally wouldn't buy for yourself, but you'd love to have... nice for traveling so that you don't need to pack a million tubes/compacts/etc.

as far as for your girlfriend, sebo, i'd personally love to get a big bag full of awesome tights :wink:

Holiday gift giving ideas 2008

Not sure if we have this thread yet...
we usually do one every year...

my first one is keeping in mind the economy and everyone's tight budgets...
also keeping in mind the organic/green trend...

from whole foods...
gifts from your kitchen...
complete with recipes and gift tags you can down load

cute!

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/holidays/giving/fromthekitchen.php

We do have a gift giving thread already....though it's from last year....

I've been stuck on what to get some people (mainly my boyfriend's dad) but I think I'm going to get him a Stendig wall calendar. I've actually seen some great (and affordable) gifts at Crate and Barrel. Also, some really unique things on etsy. Like steampunk cufflinks. Or how about custom stationary cards? Most of my gifts are consisting of small luxuries (ie cashmere socks). I suppose these might seem frivolous but I think they are comforting. I've also done some 'homemade' gifts (ie sort out itunes for my mom and make her a guide on how to use it)

i know we've got some other gift threads somewhere around here... but it's that time of year again....

anyone have any good gift ideas for this year?

i've already picked up a few DVDs as gifts but I always want to get something unique and unexpected... and preferably not too expensive...

i haven't really gotten out there in the shopping trenches yet... but it would be good if we could all share what we've been picking up for gifts for the people in our lives...
maybe we'll inspire each other :santa:

Hi all let's get this thread movin.. It's soooo close to Christmas and I'm getting nervous about gifts as I haven't bought any yet!

So I have some ideas.. for my parents I was thinking of doing a joint gift, a handheld vacuum cleaner. I have 2 younger siblings so this will be great so they don't have to carry a big vacuum around our house.

Anyone have cheap ideas for parents? I am wondering if I should get them something individually.

I have a 13 year old brother. I'm getting him a PS3 controller cause he asked for it. He's an easy one!

I have a 10 year old sister, this one's kinda tough. Hoping for some ideas!!
She loves fashion, clothes, singing, drawing, painting, eating, shopping, music..
She already has an ipod, she has tons of clothes, and I don't want to get her anything that will make a big mess.
Should I get her Uggs? I personally don't like them but she's in 4th grade and she doesn't have any warm boots. What do you all think?
Any other suggestions?

Also for my BF I'm thinking of getting a Michael Kors watch ($170) or a handheld vacuum cleaner since I always make a mess in his car and room, plus it's cheaper! ($50) What to do?

^Macy's has a sale going on for the next few days and you can get a % off on watches... maybe 20%??
you might want to take advantage of that if you can if you want to get him the watch...
it all depends on how much you want to spend...
a watch would be nicer to receive than the vacuum cleaner probably... :P
(I actually took advantage of the deal at macy's yesterday.. my mom got me one of the gold tone stainless steel michael kors watches as one of my christmas gifts... i'd been looking for a chunky gold watch for a while and that seemed like a good option that wouldn't break the bank) ^_^

Uggs could be nice for your little sister... i have a pair that i only really wear around the house now as slippers...
they're much more acceptable on kids i think :P

parents are always tough..
i just bought my dad a couple different kinds of golf tees...
one was sort of bendy and the other was called "unbreakable"...
i don't know... they both got good reviews on amazon and i'm not a golfer...
inexpensive and i know he'll get use out of them.

i got my sister some personalized monogrammed plates and a monogrammed tray from this site: http://shopping.fontainemaury.com/
i'm kind of cringing at how much it came out to... but it will be well worth it if she likes them :smile:

i still have more gifts that i need to buy for my sisters and have to find something for my mom... we'll see...

any gift ideas or links to holiday gift guides on blogs etc would be great :D

here's a link to a list on a blog that gave me the idea for the plates/tray: http://www.elementsofstyleblog.com/2009/12/gifts-under-50.html

i think the first idea on there is great ^_^... and i've read that book and it's sequel..
very entertaining :wink:

i'll try to do some more searching for gift ideas later...
was going to do that for myself anyway, so i'll share potentially worthwhile finds on here
i actually have to run out now :doh:

another idea for parent gifts....
often one of the things they want is to spend more time with you...
so if you can get tickets for some sort of show/concert/event/museum etc that you can go to together and have an outing that could be a good gift...

or a gift certificate to a restaurant that they love and you can go along (or not :P)
or a gift certificate to a gourmet market if they're foodies...

trying to think of more.... ^_^
will be back :wink:

Hey pinkprincess!
I always feel like gifts for the parents are hard! Now that I've been living away from my parents for a while, it's difficult to see what they "need" or what they've been into lately. I think the best presents for parents are things that they may use on a regular basis or something useful for them. That handheld vacuum sounds pretty good! When I'm stumped, I usually give them clothes (jackets or sweaters) that they would probably wear. What I love about parents though, they are not too picky about gifts. Well at least my dad isn't. He loves everything I give him. Sometimes, my mom, not so much, but usually she likes them. :smile:

I have a younger sister as well. Usually, I get her a handbag because she gets easily jealous with the fact that I buy new ones ALL the time. :smile: My younger sister is in high school so I get her a nice school bag or something where she could carry to school and feel happy with.
How is she with gift cards? Sometimes when I'm stumped with my sister, I just give her a nice gift card to her favorite store and then drive her over to the mall. She's happy that way as well.
OMG... I got a message from my younger sister yesterday and this is what she wrote:
"I know what I want for Christmas! What's your budget?"
I got scared already... :shock:

I remember you posted that picture of the Michael Kors watch! It's amazing! I think it's great! :flower: It's always been really difficult for me when it comes to buying BF's gifts or my guy friends' gifts. It usually comes down to accessories as well because who wouldn't like them? ^_^

a good gift for film lovers: http://www.filmmovement.com/filmclub.asp?

film movement's dvd of the month club, you get an award winning film in the mail every month (often independent or foreign films from what i gather) and get to keep the dvd...

also after doing some internet browsing and googling i bought a few things on www.fredflare.com
they have gifts organized in categories (for sister, daughter, father, mother, brother, bestie, coworker etc) which is helpful when browsing....
i got stainless steel water bottles for my sisters... $20 each but they're eco friendly and kind of quirky and fun.. pic attached from fredflare.com ^_^
4788_D.jpg

also, they have these nesting russian doll melamine plates...
i actually bought these as a gift for a cousin of mine last year from a different website greenergrassdesign.com and i believe that site also has a larger version.. more of a serving plate i guess?
anyway, those plates turned out to be a great gift and my cousin uses them all the time.. so cute and different.. they make you smile :D
2721_D.jpg

So far I've only bought 2 hp laptops for my brothers and a parka for my mom.
The laptops still aren't ready, so I'm a little worried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->