How Do You Wear Your Collars?

It may be that I hate polo shirts, also. I am not a fan of preppy looks in general. If I wear tweed, I wear it with jeans or a leather skirt, or something kind of weird and punk it up a bit. I never have liked "perppy" and probably never will. That upper-middle-class schtik just doesn't work for me.

I definitely wear it up... Though one some people flipped up collars look REALLY tacky. I know this guy who wears those EXTRA EXTRA tight polos (and he's quite muscular) with jeans that tighten around the butt area that looks really GROSS with his flipped collar.

It really depends on the person, some pull it off, and some REALLY don't, there's no middle point in this case, well for me. :wink:

It just depends on the person Ralph Lauren polos are great for the collar up- women's lacoste ones just don't stay.... I'm horribly preppy because I've grown up that way, but only some guys can get away with it-

Originally posted by eloes@Sep 11 2004, 10:23 AM
I hate this. I hate it I hate it I hate it. It's preppy with an extreme sense of, "I rule the room" but without it being something cool/unique. Collars all over my school are popping up, which wasn't that difficult because everyone was already wearing polo shirts to begin with. My brother has started to do it and I just hate it. He left our preppy town for college and became more preppy than he already was--ew. :yuk:

I hate this look on polo shirts, although I have seen a few people put up their jacket collars and look good (just not at my school). I think it's better to do it that way, especially if your style is not preppy.
[snapback]363489[/snapback]​

:lol:

OMG that is so hilarious.. I don't see how a preppy guy can get even more preppy.. especially it is your own sibling...

There seems to be a sentiment against been preppy.. well.. I am a big sucker for that... and I can't get enough of it...

I use to HATE polo and now I buy them because I think I can only pull it off with collar up with a polo and not a shirt...

although I have been doing the collar up with jacket and windbreakers.. because naturally it kind of makes you feel more superior when you wear it up... and it seems that a lot of designers such as Mcqueen and Hedi for Dior homme has been designing a lot of jackets and coats with collar purposely up... I totally :heart: it...

But yes.. I can see that it will start to get really :unsure: when everyone starts to do it...

I've always worn my jacket collars up. And I don't own any polos and if i did, i wouldn't pop it up.

Depends on the collar like softgrey said.
Up or down, although I must admit I haven't seen this trend.

Originally posted by TheSweetest@Sep 10 2004, 11:43 PM
i imagine softgrey looks great with this style. :wink:
[snapback]363020[/snapback]​

dahling.... :flower: ...you are too kind... :lol: :flower:

i'm sure you are xtra cool urself...

gucci-thank your lucky stars...ny is too close to connecticut...and that prep thing is all over here...especially in your age group... :wacko: :ninja:

i only do it in a preppy style. But one day we went flat hunting anf my friend said to me, "oh, that looks so cool" and I realised she was talking about my diesel denim jacket-I'd only turned it up because it was cold that day. I think if you're going round with it *trying* to be cool it won't work, like everything.

Down for me... having it up only accentuates the roundness of my face :(

Originally posted by enrichi@Sep 10 2004, 10:04 PM
I have two words for you all:

Katherine Hepburn.

(In case that doesn't translate, it's a strong vote towards UP!)
[snapback]362863[/snapback]​

^_^

I wear mine up fairly often, but only for proper shirts, coats and trenches. and NEVER starched. to me that is the most contrived thing in the world... (preppy vampire... :lol:)
students at my uni have been doing the collar up thing forever, so I don't really see it as a trend... :huh:

Originally posted by As You Like It@Sep 11 2004, 11:53 AM
It may be that I hate polo shirts, also.  I am not a fan of preppy looks in general.  If I wear tweed, I wear it with jeans or a leather skirt, or something kind of weird and punk it up a bit.  I never have liked "perppy" and probably never will.  That upper-middle-class schtik just doesn't work for me.
[snapback]363558[/snapback]​
I agree!

I actually found an example of a popped collar that works last night, to my surprise. The lead guy in Moulin Rouge wears his coat collar up and it looks good. As I said, I often like it when it isn't in a preppy style.

i think collars popped up look best on polos by ralph lauren, lacoste, fred perry etc. it completes the preppiness lol

on another note -- when i used to work in the rich part of houston, they were older people who did it ALL the time even before the trend came along.

i also think collars looked good popped up on button down shirts if you pop it up then fold it over a tiny bit in the back. it makes crisp white shirts look fabulous

ALWAYS DOWN!!!!!!!!! I hate it when I see other guys with their polo shirt collars turned up.......MAYBE, if there is some sense of style in the rest of their outfit its ok but this is a rare occurence..........usually you see a guy with a cheap, wrinkled polo on, abercrombie jeans, whatever shoes and their collar up which to me says "look at me im stylish/cool"

I also find collar-turner-uppers to be collegiate preppy a$$holes

I think we should all do what we can to stop this trend in its tracks!!!!!!!!

DL20

I agree with softgray, and I'm also a big fan of UP. I've worn my polos, blazers and such like so for quite a while now, and generally stick to that.

although I have to say - if you're going to bother, make sure your collar isn't floppy so it ends up bent or wavy and then it just looks sloppy...

Originally posted by Kimkhuu@Sep 11 2004, 01:25 PM
I definitely wear it up... Though one some people flipped up collars look REALLY tacky. I know this guy who wears those EXTRA EXTRA tight polos (and he's quite muscular) with jeans that tighten around the butt area that looks really GROSS with his flipped collar.

It really depends on the person, some pull it off, and some REALLY don't, there's no middle point in this case, well for me. :wink:
[snapback]363637[/snapback]​

I think I saw that guy at a concert I attended recently. I was shaking my head at him - I so wanted to walk over, do something because he looked so ridiculous with the skintight shirt and fairly tight jeans and the popped collar. Eek.

Originally posted by Misako@Sep 21 2004, 05:09 AM

I think I saw that guy at a concert I attended recently. I was shaking my head at him - I so wanted to walk over, do something because he looked so ridiculous with the skintight shirt and fairly tight jeans and the popped collar. Eek.
[snapback]371326[/snapback]​

My husband has a weird habit of shoving his hair down his collar when he is working on something and is too preoccupied to go get a rubberband to hold it back. If I find him hunched over a disemboweled computer tinkering away, with his hair shoved down his shirt collar, I will untuck his hair and braid it up for him.

Also, he will do like Softgrey suggested and just yank on a shirt and not fix his collar, so sometimes one side of it is up, the other is down, and his hair is down the collar.

You can bet that if I see, I will fold his collar down and braid up his hair for him.

I guess Misako doesn't have the shirt manipulating priveleges I do, considering the dude at the concert was just some random guy, while I primp up my husband! :rofl:

I like to wear them up, but then again I'm from Grosse Pointe, Michigan where Lacoste has always been in. My friends are pretty mixed, half will firmly push my collar down and threaten not to talk to me, the other half like it. So go figure. But, I feel that jean jacket collars should ALWAYS be up.

I don't know what to think now about collars up because I was at the club last night wearing a lacoste polo, collar up and some queen came up to me, put my collar down and proceeded to tell me that the collar up look is sooooo out...go figure.

I mostly wear my collars down, but again, it depends on what you're wearing. I love wearing them up when it's cold, especially at night :lol:

the whole collar up thing just has been bothering me because out of no where these people i know are wearing their collars up and it just looks so bad, they think because they see the clerk in abercrombie and fitch wearing their collars up so now thats the green light for everyone to start popping the collars. and if they actually had a polo that fitted them and did it it woudln't be half as bad, but like DL20 says its usually with some wrinkly polo and abercrombie jeans and slippers with socks ahhh!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->