How The Internet Is Affecting the Fashion Industry

there's as well the issue of "instant gratification" of online magazines ,,, I mean .. on the print media you see an ad and you think I want it and you either call or wait til its out and head to the stores ... with online magazines you just click on the banner and Voila! you have what you wanted on its way to your doorstep! (which brings up another topic which is online shopping vs actual -store- shopping

That is a distinctive advantage to advertisers and a huge reason to advertise in on line mags ..... impulse buying at it's best!

there's as well the issue of "instant gratification" of online magazines ,,, I mean .. on the print media you see an ad and you think I want it and you either call or wait til its out and head to the stores ... with online magazines you just click on the banner and Voila! you have what you wanted on its way to your doorstep! (which brings up another topic which is online shopping vs actual -store- shopping

good one sir...
i think you should go ahead and start a thread about that in the shop til you drop section!!!...

:flower::flower::flower:

i'll be waiting...
:innocent:...:P

wwd / june 21, 2010

Fashion Brands Rush to Web, But Not to Advertise
by Lisa Lockwood

The world is online — yet fashion brands are still reluctant to advertise there.

Ad experts say that even as fashion brands shift more of their marketing spend online, they aren’t clamoring to place their ads on the Web as much as they are using it for e-commerce, blogs, posting news about their brands and building social networks. Among the reasons are:

• Impactful fashion imagery doesn’t translate as well online.

• There is too much clutter on the Web and their ads don’t stand out.

• It’s debatable whether online fashion ads actually move merch.

“Look at the initial forms of advertising online — window ads and banner ads, they’re so miniscule. You couldn’t get your message across. They [fashion brands] couldn’t grasp we were going into a new world,” said David Lipman, owner of ad agency Lipman. He noted some nonfashion brands have successfully used rich media online, such as creating takeovers, 3-D animation and dynamic motion. “Bigger mass brands were doing that. Fashion brands were way behind. They were stuck with banner ads,” said Lipman.

Executives see several different futures for fashion advertising, depending on a customers’ age, attitude and comfort level with the digital world. In many scenarios, print remains a core buy, especially as a way to reinforce a luxury image and sell merchandise, but it’s now only one part of a multichannel platform that mixes print, online, outdoor, mobile, TV and social networking tools such as Facebook and Twitter.

The whole definition of advertising is being turned upside down. Brands are beginning to create their own “editorial” content online in efforts to market themselves and build their own audiences and databases. They are increasingly shifting spending from traditional advertising to funding their own Web sites.

For luxury advertisers — whose seasonal ads with beautiful models photographed in fabulous locations in the past made the March and September issues of fashion magazines as thick as telephone books and where “positioning” has always been pivotal — the migration to the Web has been slow to come. Ad executives noted advertisers who have tried to imitate their print ads online haven’t had much success since online ads need to offer an experience — a call to action with various links to engage readers. In essence, it’s a totally different ball game.

“Marketers in general are struggling with the transition [online], particularly categories that have been very reliant on traditional media in the past,” said Tim Calkins, clinical professor of marketing at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. “If you’ve been very dependent on print and TV historically, it’s challenging. Part of the challenge is creativity, especially with image-driven categories. How do you do that on the Web successfully?”

For fashion advertisers in print publications, “the advertising is part of the experience. In the online space, it’s not the case,” he said. Calkins believes there’s a deep understanding of how traditional print and TV work, which is more uncertain online. “In a sense, it’s a scary change, and it also opens up enormous opportunities. It gives marketers a chance to interact with the consumer on a deeper level. There’s a new level of communication and involvement. The transition is under way, and you can’t stop it. All you can do is participate in it,” said Calkins.

A recent study by the Society of Digital Agencies has shown a continued upward surge in digital media investment for 2010. The study showed that 81 percent of brand executives surveyed expected to increase their digital projects in 2010, and 50 percent will be moving dollars from traditional to digital budgets. Some 78 percent felt the economy would push more funds to digital media.

For the first time, digital spending is expected to eclipse print ad spending this year, according to an Outsell Inc. study of 1,008 advertisers. Companies will spend $119.6 billion on online and digital strategies (which includes online publications, video, search engine keywords and e-mail) versus $111.5 billion in print, such as newspaper and magazine ads. Overall U.S. spending on advertising and marketing will increase in 2010 by 1.2 percent to $368 billion, according to the Outsell study.

As the economy has improved, fashion magazines have witnessed a slight return of advertisers even with the digital boom. For the first half, magazines experienced an upswing in ad pages, compared with a disastrous 2009, but they’re still off from 2008. Marie Claire, Harper’s Bazaar, Vanity Fair, Cosmopolitan, InStyle, Vogue, Allure, Elle and Lucky were all up in ad pages for the first half, with gains ranging from 2 to 22 percent, according to Media Industry Newsletter.

Magazines continue to benefit from the fact that even though online ads tend to be much cheaper than print ones, users tend to ignore banners and cancel pop-up ads, finding them intrusive and disruptive — while a print ad tends to be noticeable. Fashion advertisers would prefer to take over the whole screen with their imagery, but readers would obviously get annoyed. That’s why fashion magazine publishers are greeting the iPad and its fellow e-readers with acclaim since beautiful images and videos (although iPads don’t support videos in the Flash format) translate well to this new medium, say advertising pros.

The iPad offers the best of both worlds — a digital device that can mirror the appearance and experience of reading a print magazine and, with Internet access, can provide links to the social network phenomenon that is obsessing fashion brands.

“Every client who walks through our door is essentially yelling, ‘Facebook,’” said Neil Kraft, president of Kraftworks. “They want the Web, but don’t know how to use it. What happens with social media is much more of an investment of the client’s time. They have to invest in people [to manage it].”

Echoing others, Kraft said the rush to the Web reminds him of when outdoor advertising began, and everyone thought advertisers would abandon print. “You still can’t replace the look and feel of a print ad,” said Kraft.

“Fashion magazines are one of the few places where the ads are just as important as the editorial,” said Kyle Acquistapace, executive vice president of media planning at Deutsch Los Angeles. “Even though a consumer can see an entire runway show online, curation matters. That’s why magazines are important. Fashion [magazines] are about telling me what matters and giving me a point of view.”

He pointed out that current industry formats for online fashion ads “don’t allow for overwhelming beauty.” However, he believes the iPad is bound to change that.

“GQ has never looked more beautiful [than on an iPad]. It’s like looking at PDFs of the magazine. It definitely ups the game, but you can’t share an article and post it onto a social network. There are rights issues.”

He believes fashion brands need to be advertised in many different places. “More has to be brought to the party to stay relevant. Things feel important when people see them in a lot of places. Anybody who has a one-dimensional approach to marketing” will be in trouble, he said.

According to media and consumer research firm GfK MRI, the audience is up for magazines, so it’s a case of readers gravitating toward both the Web and print, versus the Web or print, said Edward Menicheschi, publisher of Vanity Fair. Total adult readership of print magazines and newspapers increased about 1 percent this spring versus spring 2009, said GfK MRI.

Fashion advertisers that run buys on vf.com include Banana Republic, Bloomingdale’s, Bulgari, Ralph Lauren, Dolce & Gabbana, Burberry and St. John. “Each of these is an important print spender so the Web is an addition,” said Menicheschi, who noted that most brands’ stated goal is to make their e-commerce Web site their number-one door.

“On the social media side, there is real activity from brand to brand in Twitter and Facebook, but there is not hard data as yet on if these efforts are generating sales. That said, there is a great deal of experimentation and audiences being built such as Burberry’s Art of the Trench,” he said. “I think it is really about being relevant to the consumer across media that they find of real value. Print has real value to consumers, but so does mobile. The key is to find a manner and message that is correct (and on brand) at each touch point,” he said.

Where one stands on the digital issue is clearly a generational thing.

“Who’s running 90 percent of fashion companies?” asked Kraft. “It’s people in their 50s and 60s.” Historically, fashion advertisers, whether it be Chanel, Prada or Calvin Klein, worried about the size of their print ads, their inserts and positioning. That’s been the conversation for years, and it’s a tough one to abandon.

“I think the one thing people tend to be most sure of is the younger generation has completely checked out of print,” said Doug Lloyd, owner of Lloyd & Co., the ad agency. “If the demographic is tweens to college age, there’s no way around it,” said Lloyd, referring to the necessity to be online with ads. For the new Selena Gomez line of clothing for Kmart, he’s using a combination of print, outdoor, broadcast-cable TV and a digital plan and social networking aspect.

After such a tough 2009 for all kinds of advertising, a lot of brands dropped out of advertising altogether, he said. Many brands shifted to the p.r. bucket, and social media may have fallen under that. “Social marketing is a great medium, but it’s less easily controlled. Fashion brands usually are strict about trying to control their image. It’s more of a wild card,” said Lloyd.

That leads to another problem facing fashion advertisers: giving up control. By engaging in social media, brands put their reputations and images on the line, risking potential controversy in hopes of entertaining, provoking and informing their followers.

“Big fashion companies are scared to death to lose control,” said Madonna Badger, partner in Badger and Winters Group, an ad agency. “Most people accept the fact they don’t have any control [online]. The more they try and control it, the more irrelevant they become.”

Last edited by a moderator:
great article touching on a lot of points that have been brought up in this thread already...

thanks kim...:flower:..

i'm especially intrigued by the ipad comments...
i definitely agree that it is a good digital platform for fashion advertising...
sounds like everyone is thinking the same thing...

:P

i think the more the fashion industry tries to resist the rise of the internet the more difficult it will be for them to compete. the fashion industry is incredibly powerful & magazine's still reign supreme over all. magazines & fashion publication's are the reason that forums like this are alive. without magazine's we have nothing to scan & thus nothing to build our editorial blogs around. i've read that magazine sales are up for the simple fact that people are still intensely interested in something they can see hold & feel. just like tv was a threat to radio & movies were a threat to television- the internet is a threat to publication. but it should be used as another media outlet for fashion. they should take advantage of what is being held in front of them. & trust- if V magazine is emailing you a full editorial for you to post on your blog- you will post it-which goes to show that editors hold the power. they have the power to dictate what certain blogs post by simply clicking 'send' from their office. if more focus is held to digital release & exclusives are used accordingly the realm of fashion will be that much more powerful. its a very exciting time for us in fashion because everything we want comes to us faster. you no longer have to fly to paris to see a show if you can see it through live feed- however, nothing feels better than feeling the bass pump on the runway as you see mariacarla boscono walk at a givenchy show in person. we all want more, faster, in better quality. & the internet allows those dreams to become a reality.

advertising is all about the "impressions" a company is making...
whether the appearance results in direct sales isn't always the most important thing...
but it helps develop people's concepts and perceptions about the brand..

i still think magazines are an important mode for fashion advertising (even as the actual print magazines continue to get skinnier and skinnier)..
they're an important impression to make, an important association
but as many of you have mentioned, the internet is having a huge effect on everything and magazines need to have content and websites that work as added values for their print advertisers.
i work for a magazine (not a fashion magazine), and advertisers always want to know what the added values are of being featured on our website.
we want to keep our advertisers happy.. especially those who are paying the big bucks...
(magazines make a pittance on subscriptions and newsstand sales, you just want the big numbers distribution-wise to attract more advertisers - my boss is convinced that the whole distribution situation is a complete mafia-run racket)
but, the more the advertisers spend, the more we want to feature them and give them added value in other ways
and i think a lot of companies like co-sponsored events and parties etc.
they like the association with the name brand of the magazine and i don't think that will change any time soon
again, parties and events are another impression these companies are making

i don't think that the magazine content will ever completely be obsolete or move completely online (though as many of you also mentioned, the ipad can certainly make inroads on that)...
but, it won't ever be in the traditional format i think...
you can't just put out one issue a month and not have additional new content coming in all the time...
i think you kind of need the physical issue to anchor the rest of the content..
i don't know... i could be wrong
but i'm also one of those people who's a big reader and magazine lover and has been resisting digital the kindle/ipad etc (though i think the concepts behind them are great and so convenient for travel)

but, on another, non-magazine related note...
i think burberry is sort of one to watch right now when it comes to their use of the internet...
weren't people able to pre-order pieces online on the same day that they produced their runway show??
and isn't burberry now producing interactive fashion shows or videos, or something to that nature?
I think that's pretty AMAZING and cutting edge...
i think of them as the trailblazers right now...
they just stand out to me at the moment as being really forward thinking when it comes to using the internet to promote their business and make their merchandise more easily accessible

In a way, I won't really miss the death of the conventional magazines, I'm so sick of seeing the same photographers, editors, stylists regurgitating the same tripe over and over for years. Ideally, more $$$ should flow to the internet zines, but tbh, I haven't seen really good content on the internet yet that will replace conventional boring magazines.

I don't think they'll ever go away because the internet still has a very big problem with piracy. I don't doubt magazines that are online, have a problem with being duplicated /saved, then sent to friends for free. If there's no way to do that, i'm sure someone can easily find a way..print screen a page, then put it into pdf format and redistribute. With actual magazines you can't do that as easily. I don't think it's the internet that's doing away with magazines, i think it's also the lack of creativity and recycled content that's no longer original why some have stopped purchasing them

In a way, I won't really miss the death of the conventional magazines, I'm so sick of seeing the same photographers, editors, stylists regurgitating the same tripe over and over for years. Ideally, more $$$ should flow to the internet zines, but tbh, I haven't seen really good content on the internet yet that will replace conventional boring magazines.

yeah-
i have to say that i wouldn't mind seeing some of those dynasties crumble...
:ninja:

make room for some other people, would ya?!...
i mean....
there have to be more than 20 talented photographers in the world...right?!?...
the law of averages says that there MUST be...

yet, you wouldn't think so looking at fashion mags for the last 10-15 years..
:ermm:...

** i have to add though, that i have worked with a LOT of photogs ...
and it isn't as easy to find really gifted ones as you might think...

yeah-
i have to say that i wouldn't mind seeing some of those dynasties crumble...
:ninja:

make room for some other people, would ya?!...
i mean....

You're right that there are very few good photogs in fashion, but there are some really great ones in non-fashion related fields, eg. journalism. I personally would love to persuade a photojournalist to do a fashion shoot - they really have different eyes, but they want that like they would a root canal.:P

well--
what i want are good FASHION photogs...:innocent:...
not the same as photojournalists...
and i don't want some pseudo-artsy pics either...
i want fashion- with a capital F...

so...
yeah...
sigh me up for a root canal too...

^_^...

That's because it's easy to take a picture, but it's much more difficult to have a personal vision.

well--
what i want are good FASHION photogs...:innocent:...
not the same as photojournalists...
and i don't want some pseudo-artsy pics either...
i want fashion- with a capital F...

so...
yeah...
sigh me up for a root canal too...

^_^...

So you are saying that they're not interested in fashion and that makes them unwilling to focus on the aspects of importance to the person interested in fashion? What are the qualities of a great fashion photographer - from the stylist's or fashion editor's perspective?

What are the qualities of a great fashion photographer - from the stylist's or fashion editor's perspective?
i think you have just come up with an idea for a new thread ILJ!...:woot:

:innocent:...

i'd like to know what everyone thinks about that---
not just stylists...
but we probably shouldn't take this thread so off topic...
do you want to start a new one???...or should i do it?
^_^

You're right that there are very few good photogs in fashion, but there are some really great ones in non-fashion related fields, eg. journalism. I personally would love to persuade a photojournalist to do a fashion shoot - they really have different eyes, but they want that like they would a root canal.:P

bottega has used non-fashion photographers for years. also, with garance dore doing the moschino shoot, it's indicative that the old guard of fashion photographers would just get replaced with a new guard like garance dore, tommy ton, et al.

Fashion is such a tangible thing, something about going into a store and looking at the clothing and feeling the material that makes it feel relevant and real. I think that hardcopy magazines are very similar in that manner as well - I just don't think that the September issue of Vogue would be the same if I had to read it online. While I do appreciate the concept of the iPad style magazines, unless you're on that hardware it wouldn't read or deliver the same on a traditional desktop or laptop.

The fact that the fashion industry is embracing some digital platforms is great. But I think what makes it great is that it delivers new and supplementary content on top of what it delivers in traditional media. It also provides an opportunity to add material to the brand (video, news releases, first impressions, dialogues with readers, etc.) that otherwise would have to wait until the following issue and would then could be verging on passé.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a complete technology nerd and love to see the innovation and complete experience that designers and magazines can create online (music, video, imagery, interaction) but there's something still so satisfying about sitting down with a magazine and reading the articles and looking at the photos (as someone mentioned - that weight of the paper in your hands). The photographer and editor dynasties are frustrating though, I understand that - if anything perhaps new talent in the hard copy magazines might breathe life into the medium. Easier said than done though. Maybe online is the way to find and test out the potential of that talent though?

definitely non fashion oriented, but that was a good read

from NYT :
The Medium Is the Medium
By DAVID BROOKS
Recently, book publishers got some good news. Researchers gave 852 disadvantaged students 12 books (of their own choosing) to take home at the end of the school year. They did this for three successive years.

Then the researchers, led by Richard Allington of the University of Tennessee, looked at those students’ test scores. They found that the students who brought the books home had significantly higher reading scores than other students. These students were less affected by the “summer slide” — the decline that especially afflicts lower-income students during the vacation months. In fact, just having those 12 books seemed to have as much positive effect as attending summer school.

This study, along with many others, illustrates the tremendous power of books. We already knew, from research in 27 countries, that kids who grow up in a home with 500 books stay in school longer and do better. This new study suggests that introducing books into homes that may not have them also produces significant educational gains.

Recently, Internet mavens got some bad news. Jacob Vigdor and Helen Ladd of Duke’s Sanford School of Public Policy examined computer use among a half-million 5th through 8th graders in North Carolina. They found that the spread of home computers and high-speed Internet access was associated with significant declines in math and reading scores.

This study, following up on others, finds that broadband access is not necessarily good for kids and may be harmful to their academic performance. And this study used data from 2000 to 2005 before Twitter and Facebook took off.

These two studies feed into the debate that is now surrounding Nicholas Carr’s book, “The Shallows.” Carr argues that the Internet is leading to a short-attention-span culture. He cites a pile of research showing that the multidistraction, hyperlink world degrades people’s abilities to engage in deep thought or serious contemplation.

Carr’s argument has been challenged. His critics point to evidence that suggests that playing computer games and performing Internet searches actually improves a person’s ability to process information and focus attention. The Internet, they say, is a boon to schooling, not a threat.

But there was one interesting observation made by a philanthropist who gives books to disadvantaged kids. It’s not the physical presence of the books that produces the biggest impact, she suggested. It’s the change in the way the students see themselves as they build a home library. They see themselves as readers, as members of a different group.

The Internet-versus-books debate is conducted on the supposition that the medium is the message. But sometimes the medium is just the medium. What matters is the way people think about themselves while engaged in the two activities. A person who becomes a citizen of the literary world enters a hierarchical universe. There are classic works of literature at the top and beach reading at the bottom.

A person enters this world as a novice, and slowly studies the works of great writers and scholars. Readers immerse themselves in deep, alternative worlds and hope to gain some lasting wisdom. Respect is paid to the writers who transmit that wisdom.

A citizen of the Internet has a very different experience. The Internet smashes hierarchy and is not marked by deference. Maybe it would be different if it had been invented in Victorian England, but Internet culture is set in contemporary America. Internet culture is egalitarian. The young are more accomplished than the old. The new media is supposedly savvier than the old media. The dominant activity is free-wheeling, disrespectful, antiauthority disputation.

These different cultures foster different types of learning. The great essayist Joseph Epstein once distinguished between being well informed, being hip and being cultivated. The Internet helps you become well informed — knowledgeable about current events, the latest controversies and important trends. The Internet also helps you become hip — to learn about what’s going on, as Epstein writes, “in those lively waters outside the boring mainstream.”

But the literary world is still better at helping you become cultivated, mastering significant things of lasting import. To learn these sorts of things, you have to defer to greater minds than your own. You have to take the time to immerse yourself in a great writer’s world. You have to respect the authority of the teacher.

Right now, the literary world is better at encouraging this kind of identity. The Internet culture may produce better conversationalists, but the literary culture still produces better students.

It’s better at distinguishing the important from the unimportant, and making the important more prestigious.

Perhaps that will change. Already, more “old-fashioned” outposts are opening up across the Web. It could be that the real debate will not be books versus the Internet but how to build an Internet counterculture that will better attract people to serious learning.

while i do understand the power of the tangible and relate to the actual experience of fashion -- call me a sap, but i'm one of those people who experiences natural high when walking down the street holding oversized shopping bags from prada or ysl or wherever -- fashion encompasses so much more than the point-of-purchase experience and so much more than the butterflies one feels when showing off one's designer purchase in front of the mirror or out and about. for many generations of reader, there's almost a ritual when reading fashion magazines or shopping in a boutique or experiencing any of the other marginal luxury experiences that we think of when involved in fashion -- from art openings to exclusive restaurants to live music et al.

however, for the younger generations, i'm not sure they experience the correlation as strongly. just as decades past saw intellectuals and cultural elites decrying new formats of the arts like novels, broadcast radio, film, television, the cassette tape, the compact disc, etc. as we have seen, none of these new media completely eliminated the other. while i may listen to most of my music on an ipod, i will dole out hundreds of dollars to hear live music i love and the best djs in the world know the power of vinyl. i believe that the internet will -- indeed, has -- taken a prominent place in our media consumption, but just like the others, it will make us value the authentic experience even more. also, it will refer people to those old formats that may never have seen it in times past. i'm not really the type of person to buy magazines like pop or v, but i'll go on their website any day of the week. and i would never have picked up a sookie stackhouse novel -- judge me now, i needed a beach read -- if i hadn't started watching "true blood" on television. sure, attention spans may get shorter and shorter as technology progresses, but it will create a hunger for the substantial that we do not yet know.

it is a big topic...
one thing i do really love about the internet is not having to fight for a seat at fashion shows!...
now i can just watch from my couch...
:rofl:
Does watching shows on TV/online really compare to seeing them 'live'? I've never been to a high end fashion show so wouldn't know - but I'm guessing it would be similar to seeing a band on television compared to seeing them in person

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacksonwreath
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->