How to help a friend - fashion for beginners

dollhaus

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
A friend of mine is trying to learn more about how to dress, how to mix pieces, and how to accessorize. She has a decent eye for picking out flattering pieces, but she isn't used to paying attention to fashion, and isn't sure about what shoes or accessories can go with what.

Sometimes I find it difficult to help because I grew up loving fashion and I find it hard to explain what sometimes is a gut feeling about what works/doesn't.

I was thinking of pointing her toward some of the more shopping-oriented fashion magazines (e.g. Elle, Fashion Magazine) - not like my fav Vogue which is too high fashion for this purpose. She also learns some stuff from What Not to Wear, on TV.

Anyone have other suggestions on how to help her out? e.g. useful websites? Thanks!

I would suggest Elle or even Lucky magazine which is geared towards shopping, she might find peices which she thinks would go with her new style. The best advice I would have for her is to create an inspiration folder on her computer and put photographs of people's style/things which inspire her in it. Then when it comes time to shopping she can look at the pictures and see if their is a theme running though a lot of the pictures (say stripe shirts or wearing white dresses with oxford shoes). This might help her figure out what style she is drawn to and how to peice things together. Hope that helped! :smile:

I was going to suggest Lucky too ... I think Lucky & Bazaar are the most useful/practical of the fashion magazines. I think that's true whether you're a 'beginner' or not, btw ...

We have a thread about How to start the fashion thing that you/your friend might find helpful ...

Thanks for the suggestions! I will also look for the other thread.

Hi everyone,
A friend of mine is trying to learn more about how to dress, how to mix pieces, and how to accessorize. She has a decent eye for picking out flattering pieces, but she isn't used to paying attention to fashion, and isn't sure about what shoes or accessories can go with what.

Sometimes I find it difficult to help because I grew up loving fashion and I find it hard to explain what sometimes is a gut feeling about what works/doesn't.

I was thinking of pointing her toward some of the more shopping-oriented fashion magazines (e.g. Elle, Fashion Magazine) - not like my fav Vogue which is too high fashion for this purpose. She also learns some stuff from What Not to Wear, on TV.

Anyone have other suggestions on how to help her out? e.g. useful websites? Thanks!

For your friend to develop confidence in her personal style requires a personal assist--take her window shopping, try on clothes for fun, and listen to her what she likes. Then help her find those pieces. Style is just a sense of confidence. Build hers by sharing yourself with her in a non-judgmental way and asking her opinion of what you wear. Dialogue. Don't teach her. Learn from her. Actually do a Vogue night. Each of you has their copy of the same Vogue issue. Then let it rip! Each of you rips out a number of pages you like (without showing the other the pages). When you both cannot stand it anymore lay out your favorites to show each other. Wah Lah! Guess what you will see she has more fashion sense than you! Why? Because her hesitancy is only a reflection that she knows what works and just hasn't found it yet. Give her a palette like this and she'll shine. Hesitancy is not lacking fashion. It is only having a critical eye. Her criticism of herself is high. Encourage her to play like this to make albums of Vogue pages she likes. Gradually you will see her style emerge out of its hiding place.

You wrote: She has a decent eye for picking out flattering pieces, but she isn't used to paying attention to fashion, and isn't sure about what shoes or accessories can go with what.

Isn't what is flattering a true attribute of fashion. When she feels you accept her personal apparel/accessories choices just as they are, she will feel 'in fashion.' With this she will open up to natural explorations into 'your fashion.'

Women can feel 'out-of-fashion.' When you feel you have freedom to play like with the Vogue album, fashion will come naturally. #1 Listen. Observe. The answers you seek are in your relationship to her. Explore the relationship by play-shopping...what we used to do at the mall. Fashion is fun.

So glad you bought this question to the Personal Style site. I learned a lot by 'listening' to you. (You reminded me 'to play.') Thank you.

Hi everyone,

I forgot to add. If your friend has a facebook account she can subscribe to the fashion spot there and get daily updates from various fashion press releases. She can feel free to make comments and enter votes for like or dislike. Vintage websites are fun. Dorothea entered some vintage websites in one of her posts to my thread about Are their any wedding dresses that are not strapless.

One suggestion for your future threads is to make sure your key question element is in your thread title. For example, Any websites for the fashion-less novice? Good Luck. I am a novice too. Gave you some karma but I don't really know what this 'reputation' is.

I think your friend could read Vogue as well... its not always "too high fashion" and besides if she wants to learn more about clothes/fashion it doesn't hurt to go streight to the bible of the fashion magazine industry. Also deffently go shopping with your friend. Make it a fun day by window shopping, have her try on clothes which she likes this way she can start to understand what works best on her and what she likes. I wouldn't have her buy anything right away, unless of course she just knows she has to own that item of clothing, this way she doesn't buy clothes that she really doesn't love.

I think your friend could read Vogue as well... its not always "too high fashion" and besides if she wants to learn more about clothes/fashion it doesn't hurt to go streight to the bible of the fashion magazine industry. Also deffently go shopping with your friend. Make it a fun day by window shopping, have her try on clothes which she likes this way she can start to understand what works best on her and what she likes. I wouldn't have her buy anything right away, unless of course she just knows she has to own that item of clothing, this way she doesn't buy clothes that she really doesn't love.

Great advice. I like the hands-on recommendations. And the caution not to buy unless it is really her. I wonder how Vogue got to be it, the determiner of fashion? If you know please share it.

hi sorry i have NO idea where to post this question so i thought id try here:

im trying to dress more like an adult, fashionable. i have no problems on the top half but with certain items like jeans i start to stress out. i'm 5'8 with thin legs and a flat butt. any cut,style recs? tia.

AudreyHorne, can I ask if you have a certain style you are aiming for (ex. preppy, athletic, ect.)? If you know what sort of style you are hoping to achieve I think that might help you figure out what cut jeans you are looking for. However, having said that, since you say you have thin legs and a flat bum I think you might look really good in a pair of streight leg or skinny jeans. Also it depends on how much you are willing to spend on jeans. I personally don't have the funds to spend $200 on jeans but I've always found the Gap works well for me. If you do want to spend more then I am sure you can find a brand which suits you. Hope that helps! :smile:

Thanks! :smile: i really cant spend more than $100. tops. i assumed you had to have a butt to wear skinny jeans but maybe i am wrong. my style or how id like to dress is a mesh of classic/ simple retro... im really inspired watching movies from the 50s-60s

Thanks! :smile: i really cant spend more than $100. tops. i assumed you had to have a butt to wear skinny jeans but maybe i am wrong. my style or how id like to dress is a mesh of classic/ simple retro... im really inspired watching movies from the 50s-60s

You might cringe at this suggestion depending on how old you are, but hollister jeans. haha i know, i sound insane. However i'm on a budget, their jeans go for no more than $30 when on sale and they're long jeans are great for girls who are over 5'8. Their jeans last quite a long time, and i love their skinny jeans

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasiakry
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->