• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Is There Luxury Fashion or... Is There?

I for real for real don't care about what happens to "luxury" or how I could make myself feel more special that others don't have access to it. What I do care about is people becoming slaves to corporations chasing this idea that the goal is to be able to afford and own these stupid products. It's middle school mentality wanting the rich kid clothes. The idea of luxury is so outdated and dare I say immoral at the point we've reached in humanity.

Typing this on my journey to the sun, there is absolutely nothing special about Prada. Maybe 10 years ago, but not now. None of Prada's corporate merchandise is worth more than that of say Uniqlo. The distinction between the two is the name and price tag. It is absolutely mass market. If you wanna buy a factory-made triangle company logo nylon jacket for $2000 to curb your head trip's appetite and advertise the little self worth you have without getting paid for it, then go ahead. Whatever.

As for diversity, I agree we need to acknowledge that a majority, if not all, of the big name designers we know and love come from the pipeline of privilege. And we need to know how that privilege came to be. I am not here for this racist bigoted crap pretending BIPOC aren't lower on the totem pole in our white supremacist society. What I want to know is, what is this direction we are heading in with "diversity"...? White corporations trying to be "inclusive"? It doesn't make any sense to me. Let's talk about Virgil Abloh, who is a black creative (regardless of what I really think of his creativity lol). He earned a stellar high ranking position. But what is he doing... helping produce a bunch of tchotchke corporate merch to rake in billions from black people... going into... whose pocket? Bernard Arnault! Another recent brief example, Jay-Z and Beyonce posing with a blood diamond in front of a Basquiat painting for... Tiffany? Lmfao. I can not. This inclusivity/diversity media narrative crap is nothing more than having BIPOC dance as little puppets for people like Arnault. Regardless, BIPOC capitalism is still capitalism. Period.

I am not here for this racist bigoted crap pretending BIPOC aren't lower on the totem pole in our white supremacist society.

Who is even implying this on this forum..?!?!?

This is such a ridiculous and predictable rebuke whenever a Black creative is called out/ criticized for their lack of talent/skill/experience, all the while being anointed The Chosen One for no other reason than for being Black. In the context of the standards of high fashion-- and let's keep it in this context; Equity and equality means one’s work is being presented on a levelled playing field as everybody else, and judged by the same standards as everybody else. That they and their work being exempted from judgement and criticism because they're Black is absolutely another level of racism that many so-called anti-racism champions continue to practice (while a lesser talent like Kerby continues to take full advantage of while promoting himself and his brand).

You are missing the point. No one here is rebuking the criticism of a bipoc creative in this thread. If you read the rest of that paragraph you will see that I think Virgil is mediocre, and that white executives giving black people positions just because they are black is calculated and inauthentic. The whataboutism I see on this forum emanates the implication you are talking about.

^
One of the points you are missing, and a lot of people that are currently discussing luxury here, is that the thread actually began in a different way, on a different note and setting. While taking fashion brands and conglomerate part aside, it was about how luxury faded, accessibility and all of that exactly, but what (at least I) tried to evolve it in is the new dimension of luxury, what makes us feel luxurious today and in this context.

This said, nobody debates that paying very extra for a mediocre branded thing is silly, we all know it (or I hope so). However, there are multiple layers to it - first one is the clear one that people claim they do not care about, conspicuousness, which I personally find slightly false at all times. Hypothetically, any of us, and I mean 100% of this forum, who see Kate Spade bag for 300 dollars or a Prada bag for 300 dollars on sale (hypothetically), would always pick the Prada. It may not be the primary reason for a lot of us, but denying this on a very specific forum that focuses exclusively on luxury fashion brands that we spend a lot of time on would be silly.

There is not much choice. Let's take Hermes, Loewe, Delvaux, Moynat, Loro Piana and other true craft brands out of this for a second. We have a Uniqlo trench and also have a Proenza Schouler one, that are similar, but have design differences. If I want that particular Proenza trench, there is no option for me to get that exact design cheaper. Not that it is any quality or art value, but we all have our own carefully constructed social image that we present and fashion is part of that.

Tossing that aside as well, along with one's size and race, (I have no idea why we are talking about it in this thread, because the topic is concept of luxury and not race, so), what finally luxury does to be luxury is being a treat. I assume a lot of us are not millionaires, and getting a branded leather bag or a coat is an act of self-treatment for something, or simply "buying emotional experience" with money. Of course I can buy a Burberry trench at a TK/TJ Maxx, but there is no dream and ritual in that case. If I come into the Bottega boutique, there is still a hint of dream - the interior, the attitude, the uniformity of staff, approach, design, the little extras of how the product box is there, how they perfume inside the bag, how your receipt is in a special slip, and how they offer you a cup of coffee while you are waiting.

We do draw lines between luxury and LV, Ferrari, Four Season, Moet & Chandon and etc. too strongly, because luxury as an object is such a slight part of everything, even for the rich or the poor - physical luxury is only a little slice of that dimension of luxe. The question is exactly that - what, aside from the physical goods/brands that became not only more accessible in a way, and not only tarnished by being gifted, for God's sake, for no reason, to bloggers, remains luxurious. The whole point of this thread when I started it is for us to collectively share opinions and insights into what is luxury for us today: extra free time, a hot bath with the essential oil blend that you made yourself, having coffee in a park wit your SO, or something else.

I never even read the original post or most of the subsequent ones, so I apologize for my contribution to the derailment of your intended direction for the thread. Twitter and social media have trained me to read the headlines/titles and make assumptions to fill in the blanks. Jack Dorsey is Pavlov and I'm the b*tch.

This is gonna be all over the place and who knows if it'll end up addressing your intended topic properly either, but here goes. Luxury in a broad sense, to me, is idealized experiences and usually it's really about the lack of common stressors, obligations, needs, distractions. Like many others, my perspective has shifted because of the pandemic and social distancing and being isolated, you just get a clearer idea of what you value materially and in terms of experiences. I think many of us had our ideas of luxury change a bit. Now I'm about to throw myself a pity party for a bit, but it's in service of a point: Earlier this year I also found out I had Covid and Cancer (and fluid build-up and a blood clot in my lung caused by the cancer/tumor) in a span of 45 minutes in an ER in the middle of the night, was ushered off to a Covid ward with no visitors for weeks, found out I had given Covid to both of my parents. It was absolutely traumatic, but I feel like I've changed and am changing dramatically from the experience, and part of that is in my relationship to material objects.

I went on a bit of a shopping spree earlier in the summer and spent more than I ever have. Multiple items of jewelry and multiple items of leather goods from brands that are undeniably luxury, art, and home décor items as well. I was deliberately going after the types of things I've normally talked myself out of buying because of the price point, but was also drawn to because of the price point. And I can tell you that owning them has brought me very little joy. Part of that is because everything was purchased online, because I'm immunocompromised and sick, I stay home all the time. It's the rarified environment of a beautiful, quiet store that was missing from my buying experience. A well designed store filled with beautiful, exclusive things and an attentive staff is like a suspension of reality, it's a fantasy world. And feeling like you're part of a select few that get to experience that (beyond window shopping) is a feeling of luxury. Without the context of that experience, I just have severely overpriced bracelets I haven't worn in weeks now, a bag I haven't yet and likely will never use, etc. Sharing them on social media wasn't even a temptation because I realized I no longer give a hoot who knows what I do or don't have. Dining out can be a luxury as well, but again having to order it delivered and eating it at home just isn't the same. The food is no different, really, you're getting the same product. But what's really special about dining out is the environment, the energy of the room, the feeling of being served, the company you're sharing the experience with. It's all the extra things, some tangible and some not. Ordering in from my favorite restaurants became an actually depressing experience. I used to idealize city living, but for the past year and a half, any time I possibly can I go out to the country and the open spaces, huge yards, the quiet, the privacy, the nature... it all feels so luxurious to just be there doing nothing. I'm not bored, as I once might have been, I can literally just sit outside for hours doing nothing and it's heaven. I've always enjoyed cooking, but lately the experience is therapeutic and accessing the best ingredients is a true luxury. Sharing what you've cooked is a luxury. I don't even know what point I was originally intending to make anymore, but I guess I'd say the past nearly two years have made me think of luxury as less material and more of an experience. Any experience that alleviates you from the everyday troubles and work of life. Rarity is luxury. Many of those experiences are made possibly only with financial means, but many are not. Peace is luxury. Beauty is luxury. Time is luxury. I sound so pretentious I'm just going to stfu.

Last edited:
Mods delete my post please lol

I only read the original post and I’ve been having the same kind of thoughts lately.
I thought about it and came to conclusion, that yes, there still is some luxury fashion left.

It’s going to hurt PC minded people, but I don’t care, this is the cold truth.
Firstly, luxury fashion starts with the fantasy and that got largely ‘killed’ about a decade ago, when the social progress/identity politics really took off. Of course, brands managed to turn it into a cash grab as well. But that ultimate fantasy, like well produced p*rn for men was nearly impossible to replicate in reality. That’s where the appeal of it really was. It’s psychology 101.

American Apparel ads are the first ones I remember as a teen, where photos looked effortless and raw, that weren’t photoshopped beyond belief. They had models without makeup, with bed hair, stretch marks, body hair and beyond size 0, which I’ve never seen before. They stood out with those ads, it was brave, but it wasn’t about luxury as their clothes are mid level. Now it’s the new normal, even within the luxury fashion as you can see especially on the runway.

First of all, it was all about exclusivity, NOT inclusivity. The female models were incredibly underweight. They had a figure, that is simply impossible to achieve or at least maintain long term for vast majority of women, especially if they aren’t ectomorphs. JLO will never become Kate Moss and vice versa is what I’m trying to say.
Now, for the male models. I don’t remember skinny men, who looked like they do cocaine back when I was a kid watching tv or looking through my mom’s fashion magazines. They all had a muscular, shredded body.
Next, ‘the look’ back then was clean (don’t remember much if any tattoos, piercings and unnatural hair colors), high maintenance and conventionally attractive, even if you had someone more ‘eccentric’ like Dita Von Teese, if we’re talking about celebrities that were also on the covers of the magazines and in the music videos. That ‘look’ also wasn’t about edgy teens, it was more about polished young adults in their 20s/30s.
Now, it’s much more democratic and inclusive, which socially might be a good thing, but it kills that fantasy. I’m sure there’s going to be less eating disorders and I myself went through bulimia, but I still don’t blame the freaking magazines or tv for it. It’s a personal issue, that is more likely to come from other things going on with the family, peers or even chemical imbalance in the brain.

Then our age plays into it. I can’t replicate excitement at age 23, that I felt at age 17, when I went to watch guys at the skate park doing their tricks.
The younger the person is, the more naive, idealistic and easy to impress and manipulate. As we mature, things that were impressive or exciting, when we were younger are more than likely going to lose its’ appeal. I was happy and excited about Gucci perfume for my 15th BD, but didn’t get even half of those feelings for my 22nd BD for a Dior bag and a Gucci bag. Our standards normally get higher over time and what was once impressive turns into normal. It’s not necessarily the issue with the outside world, it’s more psychological. I’m sure a lot of teens getting some gift like that are beyond happy and excited for it nowadays, and if we got the same thing right now, we wouldn’t care as much. We also want more comfortable surroundings later on than under 25, because we unconsciously are preparing to settle down and then have children, whether you consciously want them or not, doesn’t matter, it’s genetically/socially conditioned.

When it comes to Zara, etc. I recently watched a few long videos about the history of fashion and
even back in the 20s/30s of the 20th century, there were major fashion houses like Patou, Madelaine Vionnet, Chanel and she had a line that was selling her looks, but from cheaper materials (I’m gonna write the name of it here, once I find it again). And there were people who were creating the inspired pieces, mostly from cheaper materials for larger amounts of people who wanted to replicate the designer look, but didn’t have the money. It’s actually nothing new, as it turns out. Also, the same fashion historian (Alexandre Vasiliev) said that ‘the death of haute couture was because of the death of the bourgeoisie, who apart from celebrities and a few royals left is supposed to wear it and where to apart from red carpet?’ So, based on his knowledge, I think it’s safe to come to conclusion, that fashion is largely dependent on the elite. His quote translated into English - “Fashion is made for rich idlers, for everyone else there’s clothes”.

Social media and increased availability, of course had its’ play in diminishing the PERCEIVED value of luxury fashion. I don’t know, whether society as a whole became richer or if prices dropped over time, but we definitely see more people now than ever before walking around with these pieces (sure, some are replicas, but just as often it’s authentic). I also agree that luxury is now more shunned upon, than before, I think because with the rise and dominance of social media, there’s much more awareness of perceived social desirability, that is closely tied to wealth and therefore power that a person holds, at least online, where other things such as charm or charisma, etc don’t come into play the way it does in real life. We used to only compare ourselves to people in our neighborhoods, now it’s on a global scale, at least in our minds, which creates these psychological complexes and therefore increased hostility towards the people who seemingly have ‘it’ or simply more of it. (Btw, personally I now only use YouTube, where I’m subscribed to a dozen of channels. It makes a big, positive difference to be disconnected from main SM).

Anyone can still get that ‘luxury experience’ if they go into the stores to make a purchase, you can still choose to drink champagne or coffee, some will even feed you. There’s still private rooms and there’s even private shows in the stores, where there’s only a small group of people. That’s what I know from a friend I studied with (she lives in Moscow), as I’ve personally only been lucky enough to be at the Prague Fashion Week last year, there were the private viewings of some collections and the after parties. It all still exists, if we’re talking about this aspect.

Overall, I think there’s always going to remain luxury fashion that is out of reach for vast majority of people. There’s a bunch of such brands, there’s not as many replicas for them in existence (and those replicas are mainly just for the Birkin bag), because a lot of it isn’t hyped up on social media. Most people even in major city aren’t going to recognize leather goods with Céline logo for example. And really, unless someone is very status conscious, in the end of the day it doesn’t matter. There was time when Angelina Jolie came out in a plain black top and black pants to a red carpet event and she has higher status than most people.

I believe, that if we move too far away from our natural style, that is usually compatible with our personalities and looks, we’re just gonna in turn make ourselves unhappy. Honesty is the best policy and staying true to yourself in general, not just when it comes to style is what’s the real value I personally found finally in all this. I think looking for inspiration and freshness within our own styles is the best, most constructive thing to get from luxury fashion. And of course the artistic and creative aspect; photography, beauty, magazines, our favorite designers and models.
The rest of it really doesn’t matter as much, as the society tends to believe nowadays due to marketing masterminds of the industry. It’s a business that is supposed to bring someone money and they exploit some human tendencies for their own income. I wish, I realized these things earlier on, as I have fallen a victim to luxury goods and didn’t even notice when it turned into a rat race instead of what it initially was and should be all about - simple personal joy, it’s really not that deep and that’s a good thing, because we all need some kind of escapism in one form or another. And fashion, both luxury and beyond is and should remain a fun one.

(I’m sorry about the double post, I can’t edit it).
Just wanted to add that for me modern luxury fashion got away from all these now luxury mainstream brands, that I’m still selling online and is now about finding brands and stores, that are just one of a kind with high quality pieces. There’s one like that with great and expensive leather jackets in Prague. Just something that is going to be high quality and a solid piece, but still be unique at the same time, as most people aren’t aware of its’ existence and are more focused on mainstream ‘luxury’ fashion, that kind of lost its’ previous allure to some of us at least. To me personally, even majority of logos/monograms are unappealing, because it doesn’t carry the same weight it did back in the 2000s. Now I think better approach is by focusing more on the quality, genuine leather when it comes to jackets and the rest, how nicely it’s made and if I feel good in it and enjoy it. Everything else that isn’t about quality and fashion just became meaningless, such as someone else’s approval (good question to ask, who are even these people who are supposed to “approve” of us, as if we’re some kind of products on the shelves), the overly high consumerism and all those other things that are tied to these things. I think many people will get tired of this ongoing over saturation and naturally switch towards a more rational, somewhat minimalistic approach in comparison. That would be a positive outcome in general, in many aspects; environmental, psychological and financial. Overall, it possibly could eventually shift towards that, for at least half of the society.

I am glad this thread is still going and we can carry on.

Agreeing with the vast majority of the points above, the actual luxury that is available is not in question. Of course we have private shows, private shopping assistants, VIP styling rooms with bars in them and so on, but today it seems a little nouveau riche and tacky, like a rap star that is about to break their neck with lal those gold chains - you can do it, but it comes off as tasteless due to the social shift that we have experienced. As was said, a decade or more ago having a glass of champagne with friends when you have a show for the little is seen as a symbol of status, but also taste, exclusivity, being in the niche. Today it comes off too pretentious and even I would probably think that would be a tacky thing to do (and I was spoilt with luxury since I was a kid, and even with this in mind it seems kind of outdated).

The quality is always supreme and I do hope brands catch up or people switch to something else. The problem with the vast majority of true quality things is they tend to either be too distinct or too standard in how they look. What I truly hate that some things today like Balenciaga can be a really good choice for someone who wants to look just a bit edgier and less "boring", but not too outrageous like a CdG customer, for example. However, that does not make the quality any better and that is an issue with 90% of brands.

I had many people ask me in a weirded out way why I prefer a very specific set of brands and quite a small one at that, usually going to Hermes, Loewe or Celine, and the answer is true quality that is still there. They have not disappointed, and as we know - it takes years to build a reputation and five minutes to destroy it, what happened when I had a pair of Prada leather shoes' paint crack, and even then they couldn't replace them, because it was a store exclusive and a one-off. Obviously, I was mad, and that put a large question mark over Prada as a luxury brand for me.

But then, again, the perfect phrase to encapsulate my own opinion - luxury is about exclusivity and not inclusivity, and the whole sociopolitical change heavily ruined. The standards for appearance get lower and wider, there is no more the unattainable perfect. There is a filter app for that, and there is also a SJW agenda for the other. There is no more pressure from the niche, now the only pressure that exists is simply to appeal to the algorithm of likes. Nevertheless, there is still luxury in attitude, in healthy looks, in skincare, and in overall persona. You know a person who has the luxury 'it' factor immediately as soon as you spot them, and they are easily distinguished from both logo maniacs and Insta th*ts that play a catch up game of latest trends.

Also, just a personal tip that I also agreed with completely - I removed Twitter, Instagram, VK, Facebook, and all other apps, deleted all accounts except the Instagram, where I follow a couple of art galleries and 8 friends, and it was one of the moments I found luxury for free. Also watching YouTube for cooking videos, some shows, and small documentaries while I eat, I do not watch any personal input (bloggers, critics and etc.), because the majority of it is utter bullsh*t. It is the video equivalent of elaborate Instagram self-importance inflation to infinity - suddenly everybody is a skincare expert, every 26 y.o. is an authentic fashion critic, every 30 y.o. is a prolific historian... You get the point. Nobody can wield the knowledge and experience of an expert without decades of work, it has always been the case, yet I constantly have that second-hand embarrassment looking at 20-somethings that are gifted the entry-level goods by brands for a week to make videos and posts about "luxury hauls", "luxury shopping" or "luxury (item) review".

Coming to this point, the part of luxury was the appeal of selective clientele of it being the best of the best in their field to have the money and/or reputation to wear those clothes. People who wore couture or even Gucci dresses by Tom Ford were admirable and earned it. When some clumsy chick named Addison Rae wears it for TikTok vids and stumbles on the red carpet at the Met Gala, giggles and then runs off to hug a friend - it only creates repulsion for those that know the true luxury at its prime, but the mainstream would probably think of it was "cool luxury that is accessible to everyone!".

Even worse is the luxury of conversation and experience with the rise of social media. People have the attention span of a koi fish and the narcissism is through the roof. I barely see people taking interest in what others are doing with the coming of Insta, even with those who don't post anything there (like I do not, for example). Before it if you went to Bordeaux it would be at least an hour long discussion during a dinner with friends, today you either post about it or they listen to you for three minutes.

Alas, not only luxury is in a rut anyway. Look at series, movies, video games, music... Remake, remake of a remake, remaster, cover, re-release, and so on. The corporations are at their laziest and least original, no great stories are born anymore, and yet the masses consume.

I am glad this thread is still going and we can carry on.

Agreeing with the vast majority of the points above, the actual luxury that is available is not in question. Of course we have private shows, private shopping assistants, VIP styling rooms with bars in them and so on, but today it seems a little nouveau riche and tacky, like a rap star that is about to break their neck with lal those gold chains - you can do it, but it comes off as tasteless due to the social shift that we have experienced. As was said, a decade or more ago having a glass of champagne with friends when you have a show for the little is seen as a symbol of status, but also taste, exclusivity, being in the niche. Today it comes off too pretentious and even I would probably think that would be a tacky thing to do (and I was spoilt with luxury since I was a kid, and even with this in mind it seems kind of outdated).

The quality is always supreme and I do hope brands catch up or people switch to something else. The problem with the vast majority of true quality things is they tend to either be too distinct or too standard in how they look. What I truly hate that some things today like Balenciaga can be a really good choice for someone who wants to look just a bit edgier and less "boring", but not too outrageous like a CdG customer, for example. However, that does not make the quality any better and that is an issue with 90% of brands.

I had many people ask me in a weirded out way why I prefer a very specific set of brands and quite a small one at that, usually going to Hermes, Loewe or Celine, and the answer is true quality that is still there. They have not disappointed, and as we know - it takes years to build a reputation and five minutes to destroy it, what happened when I had a pair of Prada leather shoes' paint crack, and even then they couldn't replace them, because it was a store exclusive and a one-off. Obviously, I was mad, and that put a large question mark over Prada as a luxury brand for me.

But then, again, the perfect phrase to encapsulate my own opinion - luxury is about exclusivity and not inclusivity, and the whole sociopolitical change heavily ruined. The standards for appearance get lower and wider, there is no more the unattainable perfect. There is a filter app for that, and there is also a SJW agenda for the other. There is no more pressure from the niche, now the only pressure that exists is simply to appeal to the algorithm of likes. Nevertheless, there is still luxury in attitude, in healthy looks, in skincare, and in overall persona. You know a person who has the luxury 'it' factor immediately as soon as you spot them, and they are easily distinguished from both logo maniacs and Insta th*ts that play a catch up game of latest trends.

Also, just a personal tip that I also agreed with completely - I removed Twitter, Instagram, VK, Facebook, and all other apps, deleted all accounts except the Instagram, where I follow a couple of art galleries and 8 friends, and it was one of the moments I found luxury for free. Also watching YouTube for cooking videos, some shows, and small documentaries while I eat, I do not watch any personal input (bloggers, critics and etc.), because the majority of it is utter bullsh*t. It is the video equivalent of elaborate Instagram self-importance inflation to infinity - suddenly everybody is a skincare expert, every 26 y.o. is an authentic fashion critic, every 30 y.o. is a prolific historian... You get the point. Nobody can wield the knowledge and experience of an expert without decades of work, it has always been the case, yet I constantly have that second-hand embarrassment looking at 20-somethings that are gifted the entry-level goods by brands for a week to make videos and posts about "luxury hauls", "luxury shopping" or "luxury (item) review".

Coming to this point, the part of luxury was the appeal of selective clientele of it being the best of the best in their field to have the money and/or reputation to wear those clothes. People who wore couture or even Gucci dresses by Tom Ford were admirable and earned it. When some clumsy chick named Addison Rae wears it for TikTok vids and stumbles on the red carpet at the Met Gala, giggles and then runs off to hug a friend - it only creates repulsion for those that know the true luxury at its prime, but the mainstream would probably think of it was "cool luxury that is accessible to everyone!".

Even worse is the luxury of conversation and experience with the rise of social media. People have the attention span of a koi fish and the narcissism is through the roof. I barely see people taking interest in what others are doing with the coming of Insta, even with those who don't post anything there (like I do not, for example). Before it if you went to Bordeaux it would be at least an hour long discussion during a dinner with friends, today you either post about it or they listen to you for three minutes.

Alas, not only luxury is in a rut anyway. Look at series, movies, video games, music... Remake, remake of a remake, remaster, cover, re-release, and so on. The corporations are at their laziest and least original, no great stories are born anymore, and yet the masses consume.
Bravo! This is a well written post. I find myself agreeing with everything you have said.

what is with these open membership spambots

I honestly don't think luxury can be "democratic", or "for everyone" - something that's held to a high standard of quality, by definition, cannot sustain itself at that same level when it starts truly going for the lowest common denominator of appeal. Maybe a 'lower level luxury' can do it on that signalling level, like what a Starbucks cup says about your status in certain cities, but in fashion...not really.

By definition luxury is meant to be expensive and have a feeling of exclusivity almost always at great financial cost. Sadly the reality is if you research and look into it luxury brands aren't really as luxurious as you think and they're increasingly becoming less luxurious. The likes of Burberry shuttering their own for Made in China and most of the luxury brands being guilty of having their handbags made (cheaply!) in China only to have them shipped to Italy and the like for "finishing" so they can say it was made there really says it all. Then there's the fact a lot of fashion you see is heavily heavily marked up with zero difference from what you can source for cheaper elsewhere and this is for the exact same outfit mind you! What you're really paying for in the end is for the brand name and even then there's the embarrassing videos showing that counterfeits have gotten so good and high quality lately even the luxury brands themselves can't tell the difference anymore!

I disagree with a large chunk of the video, but it would be interesting to hear some of your opinions about it since it discusses this topic.

^ he's not wrong about certain things, though I wonder if the difference in video views for Simone Rocha (who is not obscure by any standard, she's quite the internet favourite) vs Balenciaga can be explained as much by algorithm as by video viewers being philistines who are only interested in videos about big name designers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chelseaboys
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->