Kim Gordon

Marc+Jacobs+Front+Row+Spring+09+MBFW+U5KCydYnZ_el.jpg

zimbio.com

marc_jacobs_bfp21.jpg

papermag.com

i love her.

^btw i'd never think to look for Kim under Celebrity singers/musicians:innocent:

True love has died :(

If the demise of R.E.M. didn't put the final nail in the '90s alternative-rock dream, this news sure will: Sonic Youth super-couple Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore have split up after 27 years of marriage — and the future of the band they've played in together since 1981 is unclear.

The pair confirmed the news in a statement from their Matador Records rep that reads, "Musicians Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore, married in 1984, are announcing they have separated. Sonic Youth, with both Kim and Thurston involved, will proceed with its South American tour dates in November. Plans beyond that tour are uncertain. The couple has requested respect for their personal privacy and does not wish to issue further comment."

The band currently has five dates scheduled on their fall tour, starting with a November 5 show in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and wrapping with a November 14 gig in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Their most recent studio album — their 16th (!) under the SY name — was 2009's The Eternal, which earned an 8/10 SPIN review. The pair have a 17-year-old daughter, Coco, who fronts a band of her own called Big Nils.

In a 2008 SPIN interview, Michael Azerrad asked Moore about being half of an admired rock-star couple:

You have a famously great marriage, which is virtually unheard of for a rock star, particularly when the spouse is also a bandmate. What's your secret?
There's no secret. We've never sold each other out on anything. I can easily follow the allure of wanting to go out and be with the boys, and play industrial noise and smoke pot and drink, but nothing replaces the reality of our relationship. I can't trade that for anything. I can't think of how or where I'd be without Kim's influence. And we're like any couple that's been together for close to 30 years. There's a genuine psychophysical connection. Sometimes I feel things happening in me, and I know that something's going on with her. When you're married and you have that kind of connection, you become really spiritually, psychologically connected. We grew up together, in a way.
spin

I could give a sh*t about most celebrity couples pairing up or breaking up, but I was gutted to hear about this split.

their daughter is 17 now and will be going off the college. so it makes sense that they would separate now. i think kim will move back to the NY area and thurston will stay here now now....(he just opened a record store here a few months ago)

^she's so cool...uber-cool even if she won't admit it herself. i mean first it was francoise hardy for her mirror/dash line now catherine ribeiro....not very many people are familiar with her or her music with the alpes....

^ agree -incredibly cool! Have seen her (SY) live a few times, and she exudes coolness. :smile:

marc-jacobs-fr04.JPG

At Marc Jacobs' show

WWD

Last edited by a moderator:
so yesterday I was feeling a little down and headed to a bar a couple blocks from my apartment, a pretty place with great music and rarely crowded. This time it was just me and my friends, a couple, the DJ and another circle of friends. Well well when I looked closely at the couple, the woman was none other than Kim! I was like 'holy f--' :shock::heart:... I love her! she was sooooo nice and humble, I didn't ask for anything, just sat next to her (and had to fight my urge not to hug her :lol:) to order my beer and probably had the silliest smile on my face and she knew and just smiled back and so did her partner.. the place was so empty and the atmosphere so intimate I felt weird even asking for a picture... she spent a long time talking to the bartender (a cowboy in his 60s). It's hard to believe she's 61, she's hot!

(such a silly thing to say but just noticed I started this thread on the same day, 10 (!) years ago!)

Last edited by a moderator:
how effing cool! yeah i'm like you....i don't think i could bring myself to sort of bother them as much as i would love to with certain people i love. but just the memory of being in her presence is probably a lot more lasting.

I know! she seemed so relaxed and enjoying the (amazing!) music with her beer just like the rest, I thought asking for something or even mentioning something quick to her was unnecessary. I did take a tiny pic though.. just because.. I couldn't stop myself and was freaking out inside! :lol:
image.jpg

very cool, MP!

she has announced a book tour. no stops in my city however.

there was an excerpt from it in the current issue of vogue.

can't wait to read this! :woot:

Girl in a Band: A Memoir, Kim Gordon (February 24)

The coolest woman in the world tell us all about her life: growing up in California, going to art school, painting in weird New York, and playing in Sonic Youth for 25 years, with her former husband Thurston Moore. Gordon has always been the ultimate and, yet, a bit of an enigma; in this book she’s candid and beguiling, naming names and beautifully honest about her thoughts on the breakup with Thurston or being, as the title says, a girl in a band. — ED

http://flavorwire.com/502562/10-must-read-books-for-february-2/view-all

throwback saturday... :wink: 90s cool, featuring marc jacobs and chloe sevigny and a beautiful beautiful kim gordon, fashion shows, grunge... love this linking together of acting, music and fashion. :heart:

have you guys been seeing some of the excerpts that's being released from the book?!? she has some rather scathingly honest opinions ranging from everyone like billy corgan and courtney love to unsurprisingly her ex-husband to lana del rey. that will be a juicy read!!

btw,some other less personal news on kim,yesterday it was announced that kim's old clothing line x-girl will be making it's return to the states for the first time since it was sold to a japanese company in 1998.....since then it was only available in japan.

^ yes, i've read some of the reviews. i'm glad she's being straight-up honest, although it was either the nyt or ny.mag piece that said she was still reserved in the book overall.

good to hear about her line. honestly i don't really remember it but i'll be curious to see. she's also having an art show in ny city sometime soon i believe. in one interview she said she is trying out new ways to support herself beyond music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ktlb123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->