Lanvin Pre-Fall 2016

Pradable

Reaction score
The Lanvin team was in New York today selling Pre-Fall, the company’s first collection since Alber Elbaz’s headline-making ouster last October. It both was and wasn’t business as usual. Elbaz’s witty, winning narration—so integral to the Lanvin mystique—was gone, obviously. So too was the finesse that comes with 14 years experience heading up a house. But the showroom was bustling nonetheless.

Chemena Kamali and Lucio Finale have been charged with designing Pre-Fall and Fall—and who knows after that? The search for a new creative director is ongoing. Fresh from a four-year stint at Chloé, Kamali, who oversees ready-to-wear, had just a week with Elbaz before he left, though she’s known him for years; Finale, who heads up accessories and whose CV includes time at Givenchy and Valentino, has been at Lanvin for a year.

“Our focus is on the Lanvin woman, who she was and who she could be,” Kamali said, “but the evolution of the house, as well. It’s about finding a balance between the fundamentals but also thinking of who that woman is today. How can you inject that dose of authenticity?”

Kamali answered that question first and foremost by designing many pieces with a hefty bit of slouch. The velvet pants of a suit were cut generously through the leg and pooled at the floor; the proportions of a herringbone overcoat were mannish; and a Japanese polyester jumpsuit erupted with bows. Elsewhere, slip dresses worn over silk blouses and leotard-like tops were designed with an eye toward current trends, while shirts and dresses featuring plastrons trimmed with deep ruffles called to mind her background at Chloé.

The ambitious collection touched on quite a few different themes, probably too many. The runway show the brand is planning for March will need to be more focused. Today’s most promising pieces were a pair of coats. A black rubber-coated cotton trench with a strong dropped shoulder, and a midi-length fur spray-painted in different shades of pastels captured that sense of real-life cool that she seemed to be getting at.

NEW YORK, JANUARY 6, 2016

by NICOLE PHELPS
vogue.com

Last edited by a moderator:
The crimson trench, the wide drapey pants and the mauve-y fur overcoat are nice…

Other than that, I can only imagine the Lanvin team is punking Ms Wang as retribution for firing Alber with this horrendous display of gaudiness freshly ripped from some 1984 fast-fashion catalogue.

Thank you Pradable for the pics!

What a mess. So many unflattering silhouettes and sloppy draping. After reading the first paragraph of the review I thought she was exaggerating but after looking at the pictures she was dead on.

This is the weirdest collection i've seen in a long time...
It's like a Titanic of clothes...

There are some interesting silhouettes but it's a mess. They really needs Sophia Kokosalaki!
I WANT SOPHIA KOKOSALAKI, RIGHT NOW!

I actually really like it, it's quite a solid collection considering everything. It's true that there's no eccentric bourgeoisie that was so characteristic of Alber. You can definitely feel the Chloé vibe here, but it's not a bad thing. The collection feels more contemporary, experimental and slightly urban than before, but still recognizable Lanvin.

Regardless of who takes over, I would like the brand to go somewhere near this direction.

I actually really like it, it's quite a solid collection considering everything. It's true that there's no eccentric bourgeoisie that was so characteristic of Alber. You can definitely feel the Chloé vibe here, but it's not a bad thing. The collection feels more contemporary, experimental and slightly urban than before, but still recognizable Lanvin.

Regardless of who takes over, I would like the brand to go somewhere near this direction.

I agree with everything You said. I think this is nowhere near as bad as some people say. Actually, I don't remember any collection created by a Design team with this level of execution and cohesiveness in a very, very long time. I see a lot of Jeanne Lanvin, both her work and her own style (which is great) but this is more grounded compared to Alber's work in the recent 3 or 4 years.

Strong start for this new chapter.

I absolutely love this. The styling is incredible and the beautiful jewelry/accessories really compliment each look. The over-sized silhouettes are so good and individually all the pieces could work by themselves.
Overall the whole collection is so French and chic, elegant and sophisticated. I haven't liked a Lanvin collection in so long but this is very promising.:wub:

It's very new and unusual Lanvin but I like the change.However, they need more time to really define Lanvin newest direction. So far it wasn't bad but it wasn't in a good shape either.

Chemena Kamali's designs are giving me some serious old school Hannah M for Chloe vibes...

I expected to see a drastic change, but this isn't that bad, I quite enjoy the collection.

It's surely an eclectic collection and there is too much going on, but I took the time to mentally dissect the pieces and I love everything. Let's not forget that this is a pre-fall collection which isn't even supposed to have a strong narrative, but set a tone for fall and offer a full wardrobe of wearable pieces. That spray-painted fur is amazing by the way!

save from a few looks, this looks terribly messy and unappealing, but most of all, it's missing that innate elegance that even alber's tackier efforts had

Sorry, but no. Looks like a juice made with Céline and Chloé.

This breaks my heart. It's just so awful. I hope the owner of Lanvin can finally now appreciate what she's done to the house.

So their idea was to just make everything oversized? Maybe the collection is not "that" bad, but imo, it's pretty bad. Everything looks sloppy and cheap. There's way too much going on.

It's so ugly, weak and unflattering. That ex-Chloé girl took that awful patchwork maxi dress (I don't know, but it looks like it was taken from Chloé's f/w 15 collection) with her and she added it here but still it's so bad. It's like a big, hot mess, and they've done it just because they want some new "identity". Actually it's like older, uglier sister of Chloé and Céline who's got too much fabric at home.
They need someone really talented, because with this direction they'll fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IIIIII
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->