• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mae West

SomethingElse

Press escape to continue.
Reaction score
Oh how could we not have a thread for the Belle of the West? You can watch "She Done Him Wrong" c. 1933 here. :flower:

54mjev6.jpg

A few memorable quotes... she was notorious for one liners.

When I'm good I'm very good, but when I'm bad I'm better.

A hard man... is good to find

It's not the men in my life that counts -- it's the life in my men.

He who hesitates is last.

I go for two kinds of men. The kind with muscles, and the kind without.

So many men... so little time

Too much of a good thing... can be wonderful

Why don't you come on up and see me sometime.. when I've got nothin' on but the radio.

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

A man in love is like a clipped coupon -- it's time to cash in.

A man in the house... is worth two in the street

Marriage is a fine institution, but I'm not ready for an institution.

It's better to be looked over, than overlooked

Give a man a free hand... and he'll run it all over you

Good sex is like good Bridge... If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand

To err is human -- but it feels divine

His mother should have thrown him away...and kept the stork

I don't like myself, I'm crazy about myself.

"Goodness, what beautiful diamonds !" Goodness had nothing to do with it, dearie

I like two kinds of men: domestic and imported

When a girl goes wrong, men go right... after her

I'm the lady who works at Paramount all day... and Fox all night.

Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

I used to be Snow White... but I drifted

Save a boyfriend for a rainy day, and another, in case it doesn't rain

I've been rich and I've been poor... Believe me, rich is better

It's hard to be funny...when you have to be "clean"

I like my clothes to be tight enough to show I'm a woman... but loose enough to show I'm a lady.

She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success... wrong by wrong

You may admire a girl's curves on the first introduction... but the second meeting shows up new angles

You can say what you like about long dresses, but they cover a multitude of shins.

Those who are easily shocked... should be shocked more often

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.

You ought to get out of those wet clothes... and into a dry martini

paul-n-paul.com . digitaldreamdoor.com

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see "She Done Him Wrong" (written by Mae West) c. 1933 online now. Here is the link. It also stars a very young Cary Grant, among others. :heart:

She Done Him Wrong (1933), from director Lowell Sherman, is Mae West's star-making, most famous film role as a liberated, racy woman who enjoys her sexuality - as a character named Lady 'Diamond' Lou. The Naughty/Gay Nineties character was a recreation of her 1928 Diamond Lil Broadway stage play (and its bejeweled title character). Credits for its screenplay are given to Harvey Thew, John Bright and Mae West herself. The box-office smash film for Paramount Pictures, given a different title than Diamond Lil to disassociate itself from the toured, scandalous play during part of 1929, was shot in approximately three weeks (including rehearsal time). Its single Academy Award nomination was for Best Picture, but it lost to Cavalcade. (It was the only Mae West film ever to be nominated.)

The famous film, featuring West's first starring role (she had appeared in a supporting cameo role in Night After Night (1932) with George Raft), is filled with lots of clever innuendo, witty one-liners, and bold carnality, as she spouts irreverent one-liners (the oft-misquoted 'Why don't you come up sometime 'n see me?'), seduces a unspecified mission worker/undercover cop (Cary Grant), and sings bawdy songs (including Frankie and Johnny, I Like A Guy What Takes His Time, and Easy Rider).

It has been generally claimed that this film and West's other 1933 picture, I'm No Angel (1933), both helped to spur the coming of stricter enforcement by the Hays Production Code one year later, and the development of the Catholic Legion of Decency. The film's criminal subplot about white slavery and counterfeiting was confusing due to the Hays Office's demands to rid the film of references to white slavery, although odd fragments remain. The tagline of one of the film's posters confirmed the film's dangerous sentiment: "Mae West gives a 'HOT TIME' to the Nation."

filmsite.org

Last edited by a moderator:

jerrykatz.cc/images/MaeWest01.jpg

orange-papers.org/orange-rroot180.html

blockmagazine.com/

thanks for the picture loonaka ! In the quote department I think Mae West and Maria Félix would have hit it off.. both very strong and gutsy women.

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.orange-papers.org

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]artdecoblog.blogspot.com[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.filmreference.com

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.people.com[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.filmreference.com

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.theothersideofkim.com[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.theothersideofkim.com[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.stupor-mundi.net[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]movies.msn.com

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.badgehistory.com

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.cd.sc.ehu.es[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]blogs.britannica.com

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.thebiographychannel.co.uk[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.dreamcityphoto.com[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.stevebeyerproductions.com

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.doctormacro.info[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.answers.com

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.thewrittenwordautographs.com[/SIZE][/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->