Man Ray - Photographer / Painter / Mixed Media Artist

Mercedes

Reaction score
Man Ray
b. 1890 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,
d. 1976 Paris, France

Born in Philadelphia, Emmanuel Radnitsky grew up in New Jersey and became a commercial artist in New York in the 1910s. He began to sign his name Man Ray in 1912, although his family did not change its surname to Ray until the 1920s. He initially taught himself photography in order to reproduce his own works of art, which included paintings and mixed media. In 1921 he moved to Paris and set up a photography studio to support himself. There he began to make photograms, which he called "Rayographs."

Shortly before World War II, Man Ray returned to the United States and settled in Los Angeles from 1940 until 1951. He was disappointed that he was recognized only for his photography in America and not for the filmmaking, painting, sculpture, and other media in which he worked. In 1951 Man Ray returned to Paris, where he concentrated primarily on painting.
Tears 1930-1933:heart:

Berenice Abbott 1921

Butterflies 1930-1935

Shoe advertisement 1925

source: biography and art from http://www.getty.edu

Last edited by a moderator:
Man Ray is awesome! Glad to see his work here! I'll dig up more...

how can we not already have a thread on man ray...?!?!....:huh:
this is long overdue....

thanks mercedes...:flower:...

i wanted to start this thread last year and then never had the time until now...when a thread has been started already. :doh: :D

kudos mercedes! :heart:

long-haired woman
Mujer_de_pelo_largo_1929_jpg.jpg

fashion photograph
Foto_de_moda_1930_jpg.jpg

(zone10.com)

Thanks for those pics,they r great!
I remember a photograph of him but can't find it...it was lovely

Ooh..I love the pictures he took of Lee Miller (actually, I just love Lee Miller) and I've read extensively about their relationship too.

visit the lee miller thread then :woot::heart:

thanks for the pictures everyone, i have a hard time talking about established artists on the internet but that's just me :P ... so thank you!

I guess these have already been posted in the Lee Miller thread but I thought I'd boost this thread with them:

All scanned from "Lee Miller" by Carolyn Burke by myself.

manray1.jpg

manray2.jpg

manray3.jpg

manray4.jpg

Man Ray is definetily one of the best photographers. Thanks for this thread.

WONDERFUL THREAD :woot: :woot: :woot:
i love man ray's work, both for the surrealist movement and his breathtaking photographs for the likes of VOGUE... :smile:

I really love his collaborations with Marcel Duchamp, also Ray's surrealist short films from the 1930's are very interesting.

Ooh! :o ... This magnificent artist is in need for some much needed attention! :P :heart: ...

Self-Portrait, Paris, 1924
manray.jpg

Valeska Gert, Paris, 1925
manray27.jpg

Violon d'Ingres, Paris, 1924
manray05.jpg

jmcfaber.at

:crush:

Rayogram, Paris, 1922
manray09.jpg

Kiki de Montparnasse, Paris, 1926
manray29.jpg

Les mannequins, Paris, 1966
manray28.jpg

jmcfaber.at

:crush:

I love Man Ray! I went to an exhibition in London a very long time ago, but I was so young I don't think I paid much attention :doh::innocent:

Here are some of my personal favorites from the book "Man Ray" published by Taschen.
Hopefully photobucket won't take the first two down...

I've only recently gotten interested in his work. I love the portraits and his emphasis on, for example, hands.. I find it very beautiful and dreamy.

manraybook002.jpg

manraybook001.jpg

manraybook003.jpg

manraybook004.jpg

manraybook005.jpg

manraybook006.jpg

manraybook007.jpg

manraybook008.jpg

manraybook009.jpg

manraybook010.jpg

all pics by me

Amazing, thank you so much! I've always loved the Calla Lillies!

Breathtaking StellaMare, his emphasis on hands is indeed an intriguing part of his work. For me hands can be so expressive and when it comes to Man Ray hands, it is very sensuous and dreamy. I have always find hands in art very interesting, and I find them fascinating also when I draw myself, eventhough it's such hard part to overcome! Thank you so much for all the photos! :crush: :heart: ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericqn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->