Marloes ten Bhömer

here is more from her website

folded2.jpg

i like this shoe because it looks like paper folded..you can easily trace the construction.

cnc5.jpg

this is a shoe model made of polyurthene foam

bluemachee.jpg

I love the really baltant fantastical nature of this..i love the crafty bits​

crespi.jpg

macheetrails.jpg

i like these "mummified shoes".
thanks astrid for this thread. i like how you can see several different processes on her website. but i'm not sure if they are just beautiful form studies or if they actually work as shoes? she definately is coming at this from a artistic point of view, which is good, but do they actually become more interesting than cool material experimentation?

not trying too sound too critical, but a lot of early shoe design sketch models look really similar to whats shown here. many of the ways in which she has been experimenting has been done before, a lot it seems to be natural common sense. if you pull out the nike archives in the earlier stages you'd see similar versions of what is happening here...actually that would be really interesting to see. but the process obviously looks more interesting than the final product. the pieces are photographed well, which helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry i didn't mean to sound insulting by saying it be 'natural common sense' if that even makes sense! i meant using these materials in this way seems to be very practical steps in trying to figure out materials/ shoes.

Wow, amazing stuff. I'd love to see a more commercial version (ie. smthing slightly more practical!) of a lot of this stuff. Thanks for the info about early shoe design, travolta. ^^ Good to know. It's a shame that a lot of the Nike stuff actually starts out looking like this... and then gets dumbed down to what it is in stores. I guess my hope for a more commercial version is in vain if they lose everything spiffy along the way... Damn, heh.

The white bar swaddled in padding reminds me of a changing table -- must be all those bunnies hopping about. :wink:

travolta said:
not trying too sound too critical, but a lot of early shoe design sketch models look really similar to whats shown here. many of the ways in which she has been experimenting has been done before, a lot it seems to be natural common sense. if you pull out the nike archives in the earlier stages you'd see similar versions of what is happening here...actually that would be really interesting to see. but the process obviously looks more interesting than the final product. the pieces are photographed well, which helps.
Would you be able to post some of the images from the Nike archive if possible? I am quite interested to see.

Travolta I'd be really interested in seeing as well--that sheds a whole different light on these things. Don't worry you don't sound overly critical, just honest.
I definitely appreciate this stuff! Sometimes though it seems overly clever for the sake of being clever, an over intellectual riddle that youre supposed to "get". But the headpiece is beautiful and its definitely good to see somethign that thinks in a different way!...:heart: thanks

i apologize if i insinuated that i had access to Nike's archival models. I haven't actually seen any of their prototypes. i have, however, had work experience for another large shoe company, and this allowed me to gain access to the inner workings of their concept development department. additionally, i studied shoe design in university. i found in both experiences, the process of experimentation was very similar. so i was theorizing that the early sketch models of a large company such as Nike would have had to have gone through these design processes as well. for example, she vacuuformed plastic in the shape of the foot, and played around with the shape...creating molds of the foot in various materials is a stage you have to get through to actually begin to be informed, and i don't see her pushing the material in any innovative way except purely w/ form. shoes are very hard to design, because if your shoes are the proper fit and design then your entire body is affected. it's serious stuff--completely different territory than designing handbags. i also wish on the website, she could go into a more detailed explanation of her process and the results instead of saying 'this fold makes it wearable'. i would like a dissection of the model and some images of people walking in them--illustrating how the shoe reactes. it is not a passive object, because it has to work in harmony w/ the foot. she needs a extensive explanation because her shoes look very unwearable..they look unfinished, so it would be beneficial be thoroughly convincing of these claims.
it seems Marloes then Bhömer is more concerned, based on several of her own explanations, in creating shoes that are novel. for instance, this shoe is made of carbon fiber, she says as a result of the material, and construction techniques that have never been done before--the wearer will walk in different ways. i agree..they probably won't be able to walk! like i said before, they look really cool..but it irks me because the presentation makes up for the lack of substance. so many designers get by on that, so its more than a little annoying.

carbon2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
her stuff is so interesting....
mtb2.jpg

mtb1.jpg

from stylebubble
there are more pics on the blog

I think this is interesting. Some of it, like the shoes above, don't excite me. I don't know exactly why, maybe they look too "old". Like it has been done before and as if the designer would've deliberately want to do something "artsy" in order to be "avant garde".

But overall I like this, especially the headpiece on the first page, which is rather different from the idea of these shoes though. I don't these are very practical shoes and I can't imagine anyone wearing them, or them being comfortable and suitable for feet. But the very first white pair on top of this page is rather lovely - I think they are almost wearable. I would love to try these on.

i want to see them in person because i have a feeling the pictures are either not doing them justice, or making them look better than the actually are
does anyone know where they carry them?

Oh I'm so glad there is a dedicated thread for Marloes ten Bhömer! I came across her work when I was looking at industrial design in fashion a couple of weeks ago, and I think her concepts are very intriguing. I like the solidity of her color sense and the simplicity of her cut and fold techniques.

http://www.marloestenbhomer.com

You can send her an email to find out where to purchase her work. Her email address is [email protected].

gloves.jpg

marloes_ten_bhomer-01.jpg

red1.jpg

marloestenbhomer.com . dexigner.com

Those red ones are just beautiful, although the logos are a bit distracting.

Thank you so much for bumping up this thread - incredible, mind-boggling wearable art!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->