• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

MET Costume Institute Gala 2022 : In America: Anthology of Fashion (Part 2 of 2)

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Attendees of this year's Met Gala will be adhering to a whole new theme of 'Gilded Glamour' on Monday, in celebration of part two of the In America: A Lexicon of Fashion & Anthology of Fashion exhibition.

Who's excited? Who's everyone wanting to see walk the stairs - and wearing whaaaat?

From GQ:

The theme for this year’s Met Gala is “In America: An Anthology of Fashion,” and the evening will celebrate the museum’s new exhibition of the same name, which will be presented across 13 of the American period rooms in The Met. (It opens on May 7 and will remain on display through September 5, 2022.) It’s part two of the museum’s celebration of American style; part one, titled “In America: A Lexicon of Fashion,” opened in September 2021 and will also remain on display in The Met until September 5.

The Met Gala red carpet’s theme this year, meanwhile, is all about gilded glamour. Guests will be serving up their theatrical takes on white-tie dressing. The official co-chairs for the 2022 Met Gala are Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds, Regina King, and Lin-Manuel Miranda. Honorary chairs for the evening will be Tom Ford, Adam Mosseri, and Vogue’s Anna Wintour.

*Update* Live-stream from outside The Mark Hotel in New York:

I am not excited at all. It's probably going to just as tacky as the previous one. Just hope the YSL group will wear something from the last collection.

Yeah i wanna be reminded of an era of child labor and dead strikers.

I enjoyed watching the livestream last September so I'll probably tune in again. The co-chairs this time aren't that exciting for me this time though.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion as much as I am, but I don't understand this kind of take at all. Is there any era of recorded history which wouldn't elicit a negative reaction by applying that viewpoint? If any reference to something of the past is immediately spoiled by the thought of some societal issue happening concurrently, what would be left? Even the present wouldn't pass that standard. Child labor is still VERY much an issue today, for example.

153041526.XpgSWH7n.operahouseinterior.jpg
6ohYiV9R7CbI7YSt6QwtUwDFtPuhAtwRElIZqYBYTiSHXARfU-8Zj8Wy1_JwCO2Tyz3Z6ZFgEW8KwdJmRFICIfxVIY7dU75ij9BGjgDrd5LFrye5Zwghbxy-NnHMHuouxiPvB2lm

SAAM-1980.71_3.jpg
1*gBY7G_sbNtPBHKfiCLYvlg.jpeg

default.jpg
229592211_1486562681709867_4098060215418076961_n2.jpg

lizzo-performs-onstage-during-the-2019-mtv-video-music-news-photo-1170404112-1566867390.jpg
liztspan.jpg

(a4.pbase.com, theschooloflife.com, americanart.si.edu, /bootcamp.uxdesign.cc, azmemory.azlibrary.gov, settingmind.com, nytimes.com, cosmopolitan.com)

6ohYiV9R7CbI7YSt6QwtUwDFtPuhAtwRElIZqYBYTiSHXARfU-8Zj8Wy1_JwCO2Tyz3Z6ZFgEW8KwdJmRFICIfxVIY7dU75ij9BGjgDrd5LFrye5Zwghbxy-NnHMHuouxiPvB2lm

(a4.pbase.com, theschooloflife.com, americanart.si.edu, /bootcamp.uxdesign.cc, azmemory.azlibrary.gov, settingmind.com, nytimes.com, cosmopolitan.com)

Why is there a photo of the Royal Ontario Museum lol?

What a self own.

Why? I agree with some of your comparisons. I'd gladly take the architecture of the Gilded Age over a good portion of contemporary architecture (though I happen to really enjoy the visual clash of old and new of the Royal Ontario Museum, the old works on it's own but the new portion only works because of that clash) and obviously give me John Singer Sargent any day over contemporary artists - and certainly over that random digital art you selected, though it's hardly a fair comparison! In terms of fashion... eh, I'm glad I have the choices and freedom available today, but I do admire the glamour and formality of gilded age fashions. But when it comes to music, though I appreciate a beautiful piece of classical music as much as the next person (not necessarily from the gilded age but certainly pre-dating that) I would pick the excitement of watching a dynamic singer like Lizzo, whose musical talents are broad, over the experience of putting on my Sunday best and huddling around a pianist for a few hours. I get singing, I get dancing, I get a visual spectacle, I get flute-playing, the whole shebang!

Of course you're entitled to your opinion as much as I am, but I don't understand this kind of take at all. Is there any era of recorded history which wouldn't elicit a negative reaction by applying that viewpoint? If any reference to something of the past is immediately spoiled by the thought of some societal issue happening concurrently, what would be left? Even the present wouldn't pass that standard. Child labor is still VERY much an issue today, for example.
Fair, however so many stuff like this tends get molded into glorification of the entire age, especially when it comes to big media events like this. Why is there no inclusion of working class fashions? When it so heavily focuses on the fashion of the upper class especially from this time it leaves a foul taste.

Why? I agree with some of your comparisons. I'd gladly take the architecture of the Gilded Age over a good portion of contemporary architecture (though I happen to really enjoy the visual clash of old and new of the Royal Ontario Museum, the old works on it's own but the new portion only works because of that clash) and obviously give me John Singer Sargent any day over contemporary artists - and certainly over that random digital art you selected, though it's hardly a fair comparison! In terms of fashion... eh, I'm glad I have the choices and freedom available today, but I do admire the glamour and formality of gilded age fashions. But when it comes to music, though I appreciate a beautiful piece of classical music as much as the next person (not necessarily from the gilded age but certainly pre-dating that) I would pick the excitement of watching a dynamic singer like Lizzo, whose musical talents are broad, over the experience of putting on my Sunday best and huddling around a pianist for a few hours. I get singing, I get dancing, I get a visual spectacle, I get flute-playing, the whole shebang!

The person has a history around here. They're a very bigoted individual.

Fair, however so many stuff like this tends get molded into glorification of the entire age, especially when it comes to big media events like this. Why is there no inclusion of working class fashions? When it so heavily focuses on the fashion of the upper class especially from this time it leaves a foul taste.

Perhaps they needed to be clearer with the messaging. My understanding is the exhibition itself is not focused (solely) on gilded age fashions, but rather vignettes of different fashions from different eras in American history, covering a couple hundred years. While I do think there's a place for focusing on the lives and clothing of working class (or even poorer) folk in history, this is an art museum and this is the costume institute, so I think it's only appropriate to elevate it to kind of the best representations of the different eras. And those pieces would naturally come from the world of the wealthy. The people who had the means to employ the best fashion designers of the time, to patronize the best artists, etc. were all wealthy. I think that's an area where concentrated wealth can be extremely useful to society*, since without these collectors and patrons, some of the greatest art, architecture, etc. would never have seen the light of day and certainly wouldn't have been preserved to be seen by museum-goers hundreds of years down the line.

The Met Gala itself has a dress code or theme, and that theme is "gilded age glamour" I believe. So for the party itself, not for the entire exhibition, that's the focus. As in years past when people play fast and loose with the theme (as long as they're not boring, I don't really mind) I'm sure plenty of attendees will wear things completely unrelated or very loosely inspired by that period, though.

* I'm not defending the idea of wealth inequality in which most have nearly nothing and a few have almost everything as an ideal scenario, but.... these things are complicated lol

I think it would be in really really really poor taste to incorporate the fashions of the working class at the met gala lmfao like a huge jerk parade of rich people dressing up as struggling 19th century laborers so they can all sit around and soak up each others awesomeness inside

I think it would be in really really really poor taste to incorporate the fashions of the working class at the met gala lmfao like a huge jerk parade of rich people dressing up as struggling 19th century laborers so they can all sit around and soak up each others awesomeness inside

Agreed. You can't cater to everyone at once all of the time. Seats go for what, 30k? I think it's best they stay in their lane and not pretend to be something they're not.

Agreed. You can't cater to everyone at once all of the time. Seats go for what, 30k? I think it's best they stay in their lane and not pretend to be something they're not.

Exactly, fashion needs to stop pretending to be inclusive with their $1000 t-shirts and understated diamond pendants. I would rather see it for what it is than the pretentious circus it has become. A met Gala highlighting child labour and working class would be very scandalous.

Attendees of this year's Met Gala will be adhering to a whole new theme of 'Gilded Glamour' on Monday, in celebration of part two of the In America: A Lexicon of Fashion & Anthology of Fashion exhibition.

Who's excited? Who's everyone wanting to see walk the stairs - and wearing whaaaat?

From GQ:
I hope it will be a very boring Redcarpet by pop culture’s standard. It will actually mean that people are well dressed for the occasion.
I don’t care who goes.

The exhibition has a specific role in the MET's calendar. The main goals is gather enough money for all departaments because of this the exhibition is some boring and safe. They choose Fashion departamnet because a lot of people which never was a museum consider visite museum when hear about high fashion designer at the musuem. The gala has now turned into a circus but museum has a lot of money to create less comercial exhibitions in different department.

Potential guest list:

Lucy Boynton in Chanel (per Leith Clark's IG story)
Renate Reinsve confirmed she is going (likely wearing Louis Vuitton)
Anne Hathaway, Lily James and Gemma Chan were spotted at Derek Blasberg's birthday party
Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell were in New York for André Leon Talley's memorial
Sarah Jessica Parker did a whole video about her Met Gala looks so I'd be surprised if she didn't attend
Phoebe Dynevor was at the pre-Met Gala party so likely attending and probably in Louis Vuitton. Shalom Harlow was also there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schen2505
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->