• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Model Trends Over The Years

TREVOFASHIONISTO

Reaction score
Hey I wasn't sure if there was a thread for this, but I wanted to bring up the different trends that the modeling industry has seen over the decades since the 80s (possibly even further) we could even talk about which trends were our favorites, who do we think started the trend, and which ones would we like to see more of ^_^ i hope this isn't a dumb idea... also please correct me if i am wrong on trends or time frames.

80s-90s: The All-American perfect looking girl
90s: the individual look (the supermodel)
late 90s: the waif heroin chic
late 90s: Brazilian takeover
early 200s: androgynous girls
early 2000s: Tom Ford era (overly sexy)
mids 2000s: Eastern European wave
2004: The baby doll and alien girls
2007-2009: the clone wars
2009: the socialite model
2010: the Lara Stone remakes
2010-present: the sexy girls and plus size, rise of the asian models

^Great idea for a thread but looking at the current campaigns (take Prada with Antonia Wesseloh/Ondria Hardin, Versace with Saskia de Brauwn or Louis Vuitton with Getrud Hegelund/Nyasha Matonhodze) I don't find most of the girls to fit into any specific category but rather an overall trend of models that seem to have a special look to themselves and can sort of pull it off, respectively stand for their own if that makes any sense.

And perhaps the sort of "grown up model trend" could be added (Aymeline, Saskia, Iris, Alla and of course the likes of Anja, Raquel etc who show that it doesnt have to end at 20 the latest)

Just my two cents, anyway :flower:

^yeah in the Supermodel thread i pointed out that Aymeline, Saskia, Emily, and several other new girls seem to be following the trends that the models in the late 90s and early 2000s had. Saskia and Milou are very the pretty versions of Stella T. Emily Baker can easily be a Nadja A. or Amber V., and Aymeline gives a Kristen McMenamy or Hannelore vibe

Hey I wasn't sure if there was a thread for this, but I wanted to bring up the different trends that the modeling industry has seen over the decades since the 80s (possibly even further) we could even talk about which trends were our favorites, who do we think started the trend, and which ones would we like to see more of ^_^ i hope this isn't a dumb idea... also please correct me if i am wrong on trends or time frames.

80s-90s: The All-American perfect looking girl
90s: the individual look (the supermodel)
late 90s: the waif heroin chic
late 90s: Brazilian takeover
early 200s: androgynous girls
early 2000s: Tom Ford era (overly sexy)
mids 2000s: Eastern European wave
2007-2009: the clone wars
2009: the socialite model
2010: the Lara Stone remakes
2010-present: the sexy girls and plus size, rise of the asian models

interesting thread!
there are always lots and lots of pockets of trends in every era... i wouldn't say that the lara stone remakes are a defining or even prominent trend. that was a very weak trend for one season.

the 80s/early 90s were actually much much much more diverse--a lot more exotic black and asian girls in fashion. the american beauty was more of the commercial print side. there was a greater division in modeling (commercial, fashion, print, runway) at that time too so there were opposing trends.

i would say that after the alien baby dolls was a time for the blank slate model. there are still a lot of models who are "blank slate." they look like a fashion illustration and although beautiful, they aren't unique or interesting. this is ending with girls like lara stone and lindsey wixson--back to personality, individuality..."statement girls"... which we're seeing with girls like saskia...

By "the clone wars" do you mean the Dutch 15-17 year-old girl trend?

Great thread.
I think 2010-Present: Unique and special features girls (Daphne G mouth and eyes, Wixon mouth, Saskia bone estructure, the FW 2011 Prada cast except Frida) :lol:

^What do you mean Frida? I thought she went well with the campaign..

^because Frida is pretty basic, tbh.

Anyway, what do you mean by the socialite models??

With Gemma Ward, Lilly Cole and Jessica Stam

There's also the 'antipodian' (australia/new zealand) trend

According to models.com co-founder and editorial director Wayne Sterling, so many top models are emerging from Australia and now also New Zealand – with 17 year-old Kiwi Emily Baker widely viewed as Fall 2011’s top newcomer, grabbing 60 of its biggest shows - that Australasia has emerged as a top three scouting market alongside Russia and Holland.

“It's been building for two years now, somewhere around the emergence of Catherine McNeil and Abbey Lee, but I think this Fall Winter 2011 season is where it became a trend with major traction” says Sterling.

What is so appealing about the antipodians? Being low maintenance apparently tops the list of their positive attributes.

“Everybody wants beautiful girls who are slim but healthy, outgoing and easy to work with” notes Sterling.

“Australian girls are not b*tches” says Stephen Lee, an Australian agent who works at Next Model Management in New York. “It’s [this attitude] ‘I’m not going to kill anyone’. There’s not this sense of desperation that was almost so formidable with the eastern Europeans”.
frockwriter

Dead on for the past years, though I find it harder to evaluate the 2010-present. Not sure there has been that much of a rise in plus-size models, it always seems that way for a bit every season, but never really happens.

There is definitely a rise in the tomboy models right now - Julia Nobis, Amyeline, Arizona, Emily Baker, Carla Gebhart, etc.

The Lara Stone clones is hilarious, and so true.

Not sure I agree with the 2009 socialite models either...???

^I suppose he means the girls of well-known families? Like Dree, Georgia May Jagger or Daisy Lowe?

"tomboy" models has always been a thing. it's definitely not a defining trend.

socialite models--there were always lots and lots of socialite models/debutantes ever since the heydays of modeling in the 1920's. it's definitely not a new thing and its never going to end so it's not really a defining trend either.

Something doesn't have to be new, or particulary defining, to be a trend.

Something doesn't have to be new, or particulary defining, to be a trend.

but isn't that what we're talking about? it has to be something that defines an era. for example, there have been tons and tons of socialites who become well known models every era that it isn't exclusive to 2009.

but isn't that what we're talking about? it has to be something that defines an era. for example, there have been tons and tons of socialites who become well known models every era that it isn't exclusive to 2009.

Yes, socialites have always been around, but as Trevo and Sailor pointed out there was a wave of newbies in that year that was more noticeable than the years before or the years after.

Just because a term has been used once does it mean we need to scratch it off the list and never used it again? For example if the the waif heroin chic peaks ten years from now can we not use the term then just for the sake of exclusivity and the fact that we sited it with the late 90s.

We're being pretty general here, so I don't think we need to do that. Trends can repeat, rise and fall, come and go...

Yes, socialites have always been around, but as Trevo and Sailor pointed out there was a wave of newbies in that year that was more noticeable than the years before or the years after.

Just because a term has been used once does it mean we need to scratch it off the list and never used it again? For example if the the waif heroin chic peaks ten years from now can we not use the term then just for the sake of exclusivity and the fact that we sited it with the late 90s.

We're being pretty general here, so I don't think we need to do that. Trends can repeat, rise and fall, come and go...

yes some of the trends now are hybrids of one another. A lot of the model trends have merged into one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petite
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->