Phoebe Philo - Designer

I'm actually kinda excited what she will be doing, but I won't be surprise if she stick to her Celine wardrobe style.
And I'm sure she will get her usual gang together.

who is the other woman they posted on that phoebe philo studio account?

^ gallerist, pauline daly. not too convinced that its the official account, too premature. also @phoebephilostudio is also taken, so who knows.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how these two are similar apart from the burgundy and black colour combination? The first is a (very basic) toile de jouy motif that you could probably find on google images and the second is an abstracted print that was most-likely designed by the in-house print designer at the time, which would have taken weeks, even months (before the show) to produce? Look again at Wauchob's work from 2015-now which is like a deja-vu of Céline collections and ideas. I can see even in her Winter 2021 collection she is still going through Phoebe's archives, and even worse, she has taken some ideas from The Row!
You could turn around your ‘comparison’ on the prints and it would work the same way. Meaning it’s founded on the type of following Phoebe has generated for about two decades now, less facts, more fans..

But I have to rest my case with the last part on the celebrity line that is essentially a (terrible) cover band. I have a few thoughts on arbitrarily stopping an effort on learning any type of history, in a certain year or with a specific character, because context matters, but that school of micro ‘research’ brought to us by celebrity culture will hardly be changed in an online forum..

I wouldn't be surprised to the slightest if it flops. Phoebe is Phoebe, but a lot of people here tend to overhype things to the stratosphere.
Elbaz's AZ Factory flopped so hard that I heard the sound of it hitting the bottom all the way here in Eastern Europe. Galliano at Margiela was nowhere near as great as him at Dior, not even close, Hedi at Celine recurrently brings a s*itstorm to the masses here, Clare at Givenchy, despite me absolutely loving it and her not being close to the previous three, seemed lukewarm at best for the majority. Tisci at Burberry is also a total pile of cr*p, and his Givenchy was absolutely loved. There are others, but you get the point. So far Karl has been the only one to be able to pull off constantly good work.

I already found her later offerings for Celine really tiring. So I wasnt to surprised for her departure with Celine. I hope she doesnt just continue there and that 3 years of fashion break did boost her creativity and energy to create something totally new.

Given the state of fashion today, I have a feeling that Phoebe will end up like Miuccia, who failed to turn all our love into success. Another problem is it seems that she will clearly stick to her Celine aesthetics, but will she be able to beat the new Bottega? As we have seen in the case of Hedi's Celine and Anthony's SL, I know I am being pessimistic but welcome back to fashion!

cute, but that instagram account isn't real, those photos were from 2014 by Karim Sadli

I think it’s totally irrational to expect for her to totally change her aesthetic overnight.
I just hope that she will comeback to normal sized clothes or at least some balance in silhouettes…Because that oversized trend has totally went to crazy extremes.

She changed fashion once. It’s already great. The list of designers (even legendary) who changed fashion and influenced a whole industry is not that long. It would be foolish to expect her to change fashion twice.
I mean, my dear Tom Ford was somehow a bit pretentious to believe that his return 10 years ago would have that effect on fashion.

The most important thing is to have her voice again and I’m happy to have someone who designs for women again, active women. The secret of her longlasting influence is that. Despite the hype, she was always focused on her craft and on the women she was designing for.
Her clothes were less visible on celebrities or influencers than someone like Hedi Slimane at YSL or even Riccardo at Givenchy, but they were beloved and worn by women in their everyday life. In that way she was a bit like Alaia (a designer people loved to link her to)..
I expect that continuity…

The hysteria around this bit of news and in this thread in particular is just crazy, but like...batshit crazy.

Everybody here has complained for months (and quite rightly) about the current, sorry state of fashion and where are the Greats and why is Phoebe not going to Burberry...no, Chanel...no, this, no, that...and now that the news about her return has broken we are already predicting her failure...I mean, let's just try to be rational, for once:

Phoebe is coming back and this is good news. Full stop.

Whether she will be able to keep the momentum of her last gig is to be seen, but even if she doesn't, I do not care one bit: the worst that she can come up will still be hundred times better that the best Virgil or Kim or Matthew and the likes are ever capable of.
It's just that her intelligence (pretty much like that of her spiritual mother, my beloved Jil) puts her in a different league altogether, where one is more inclined to forgive mistakes because even the mistakes are well made.

I don't really want her to try to recapture what she did at Celine and I think people who expect that may be disappointed. She may be creatively in a different space or aesthetic at the moment. It has been a few years after all and she is creative person so I would hope she isn't stuck.

Hopefully it's a proper launch with a big investment a la Tom Ford and not Alber Elbaz with his A to Z Fashion.

Another problem is it seems that she will clearly stick to her Celine aesthetics, but will she be able to beat the new Bottega?

I might be missing something but where have you seen that she will 'clearly stick to her Céline aesthetics'? I haven't seen anything discussing that.
She evolved after Chloe, I imagine she will evolve after Céline.

My guess? She doesn't care about 'beating' the new Bottega. I don't think she cares a lot about building an empire a la Tom Ford (or Michael Kors), my guess is she just wants to create on her own terms. Competing with Bottega, PS, The Row, current Celine, is probably not her concern.

Her investors may have different ideas, obviously.... She just doesn't seem that way.

I might be missing something but where have you seen that she will 'clearly stick to her Céline aesthetics'? I haven't seen anything discussing that.

My guess? She doesn't care about 'beating' the new Bottega. I don't think she cares a lot about building an empire a la Tom Ford (or Michael Kors), my guess is she just wants to create on her own terms. Competing with Bottega, PS, The Row, current Celine, is probably not her concern.

Her investors may have different ideas, obviously.... She just doesn't seem that way.

Probably because of the LVMH involvement, I feel that it is more like LVMH wants to win back their old Celine customers but I might be totally wrong!

Thank you for this. People have already designed her collection, and reviewed it!

The Logic Behind LVMH’s Phoebe Philo Deal
LVMH’s bet on Phoebe Philo’s new label keeps the star designer in the group’s orbit and gives it a new opportunity to experiment with a digital-first business model.

By Vikram Alexei Kansara July 16, 2021 12:05

This week, news of Phoebe Philo’s return to fashion with her own label after a more than three-year hiatus thrilled the industry. But the chic minimalism she brought to former employer Celine — where she delivered a successful reboot for owners LVMH, growing annual revenue from €200 million to more than €700 million by the time she stepped down at the end of 2017 — has earned her a loyal fanbase of “Philophiles” that extends well beyond fashion insiders.

LVMH is backing Philo’s new venture in return for a minority stake in the brand, named simply Phoebe Philo. But the group that skilfully manages giants like Louis Vuitton and Dior has a poor track record with start-ups. Earlier this year, LVMH announced the shuttering of the Fenty fashion label it developed with pop star Rihanna less than two years after launch.

Can Philo’s new brand grow into a business that will move the needle for the world’s largest luxury group with a market capitalisation of almost $400 billion?

Smaller labels often struggle within conglomerates like LVMH for a few reasons. For a start, they are slapped with heavy corporate charges without really benefiting from many of the synergies that can come from being part of a group as their founders struggle to navigate internal politics and bureaucracy. But most of all, smaller labels are starved for attention from senior management, who are naturally focused on the big brands that dominate their portfolios.

For LVMH chief Bernard Arnault, successfully integrating Tiffany, the American jeweller the group recently acquired for $15.8 billion, is rightly top of mind and he is unlikely to have much headspace for the Phoebe Philo label.

At the same time, launching a new fashion brand with a star designer can be a very expensive and risky proposition. There is inherent risk in building a brand around a single individual. Plus, designers like Phoebe Philo come with big expectations, multi-million-dollar salaries, large creative teams and associated sampling and development costs.

Then, there’s the massive marketing expenditure required to generate awareness for a new brand. Even a superstar designer like Hedi Slimane, who has attracted a global following of “Slimaniacs,” is relatively unknown to mainstream consumers. Ditto Philo.

Factor in the high capital expenditure associated with high-gloss physical stores — still critical to the luxury business model — and the scarcity of appropriate retail real estate on the world’s most prestigious shopping streets and, all told, the investment required to launch a new luxury brand in the first few years alone can easily add up to $50 million or more.

Without an existing platform like Celine, which had 120 stores and €200 million in sales when Philo joined in 2008, realising a return on that investment can take a very long time.

Could this time be different?

The rise of digital distribution is a key variable. It’s far more possible to quickly scale a young brand online than in the physical world. The digital-first Fenty misadventure suggests that it’s not easy. But what ultimately sunk the Rihanna venture was a misalignment between the pop star’s fan base and Fenty’s prices. Poorly executed product only deepened the problem.

By contrast, the Phoebe Philo brand, positioned at the luxury end of the market, is a better fit for LVMH’s playbook and may be a safer place for the group to experiment with a digital-first business model. Philo’s famously anti-technology stance may prove a stumbling block, but time away from the industry may also have provided the designer with some new perspective and her strategy for the label could bypass the traditional fashion system and focus on digital channels.

Of course, LVMH may also have other motives for re-aligning itself with Philo. Whether or not the new brand scales, the investment is a smart defensive play. LVMH was surely eager to keep such a talented designer close and out of the hands of rivals. Backing her label may ultimately be a small price to pay for keeping her away from the likes of Chanel, Kering and Richemont, where she could one day prove a threat.
Keeping Philo close also leaves open the possibility that she could help LVMH with a bigger project in the future, energising ultra-luxury cashmere house Lora Piana, which recently launched its first major handbag, for example, or even bringing fresh ideas to one of LVMH’s biggest brands when a creative director vacancy opens up down the road.

Philo has thus far resisted taking on another job as big as Celine — and not for lack of offers. Plus, designing a major brand while simultaneously growing a new label demands almost superhuman, Karl Lagerfeld-like energy and pace that very few in the business have come close to matching. But keeping Phoebe Philo in its orbit offers LVMH unmistakable optionality.

“Keeping her within LVMH is a great move in itself,” said Bernstein analyst Luca Solca. “Having her to contribute to one of the major brands down the road would be a home run.”

^ I love how BoF's people don't understand the phenomenon of Phoebe Philo. It was the same with their article on launching her namesake label, where they felt the urgent need of throwing the context of streetwear.

Do they really want her to explore the digital-first model of business? Because Phoebe hasn't shown anything yet and even with that in mind, it's obvious that she wants to wait for the real-life experience, hence she hadn't released the brand earlier. Well, Céline hadn't had any social media platforms for years. So, do they expect her to change radically? And don't they see the cult around Phoebe's work that will surely make the brand work very quickly? Instead, they already compared it to Fenty that had no proper audience.

Last but not least, it's Phoebe's own brand, a natural progression of becoming independent. It's not about LVMH trying to keep her far away from Chanel and that's almost insulting imho.

Phoebe, take the wheel!

Can't wait. :cool: So smart she did her own brand. Working for other brands is so demodé in 2021. Hedi did a big mistake with Céline because he kind of lost all his cult and his spark. It was not time for that and now he is completely irrelevant (at least in the brand he's working for, :lol:, I'm sure at YSL they don't think the same, haha).

Phoebe is, as always, the smartest.

I just hope it looks nothing like her old Céline. Been there, done that. Everybody did that in fact. Time for next chapter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->