Prada Sample Sale

Theory

Reaction score
Anyone going?

My wife tells me that it starts on Monday (she is going) and runs through the 27th. You have to make an appointment with Prada online. They won't allow you in without it.

They have various pricepoints with the deepest discounts being 50% off wholesale prices.

It's on 57th st in the Fuller Building.

i thought it sucked last season...the prices weren't low enought to be worth the trouble...the discounts in the stores were as good or better...

not a true sample sale...more of an overstock sale...and all the editors from the top mags will get first dibs...

Ah, I see. Not a huge Prada fan, but some Miu Miu items (shoes) appeal to me.

My wife is going on the first day. That's some type of special acess/employees day I believe. She says after that, hardly anything good is left.

I can imagine the crowds that must be there, but I guess that is why they have the appointment only policy.

Are there any true sample sales left Soft? Everything now seems to be a stock sale. I know what you mean about the in store discounts. Perfect example is Barneys. Everyone rushes to the Warehouse sale, but for that first week or so, the stuff is the same price as it was at the Madison Ave store, and you can shop in a more relaxing environment with the option to return.

The sales have been few and far between. :( I've been to Ferragamo this year and I think Malo.

It was awful last august ( I didnt go to the february-i think thats when it was-one). Everything was either very $$ for a sample sale or just plain ugly. It isn't hard to get on the list though, if you know the email (which I believe is [email protected]) and say a friend refered you, then ur in. Not worh it in my opinion.

matt

i would agree with that for the most part...if your wife is going on the first day she could score some good stuff...

but i agree with you about the barneys warehouse sale... i really don't even bother anymore...this season has been a pretty bad one as far as sample sales go...but the store sales have been amazing...

They changed the registration process this year MJ.

http://www.pradasamplesale.com

Now you have to make the appointments via this website and create a username and password (isn't this a bit much for a sample sale?)

It looks like everything for the upcoming week is booked and the pickings for next week are pretty slim.

Originally posted by Theory@Aug 14 2004, 09:57 PM
They changed the registration process this year MJ.

http://www.pradasamplesale.com

Now you have to make the appointments via this website and create a username and password (isn't this a bit much for a sample sale?)

It looks like everything for the upcoming week is booked and the pickings for next week are pretty slim.
[snapback]332412[/snapback]​

theory...will you please let us know how it is after your wife gets back?...i would appreciate it...that will help me to decide of i should bother with my appt...

much appreciated... :flower:

theory...did your wife go today?...how was it?... :flower:

Hey Soft :smile:

Yes, she went and said it was pretty bad, as she expected.

Lots of old clothes, some dirty, some looking worn. She said it was a complete waste of time. Remember the inside out jackets Prada did, what, in 2001? Those were there. She said they had tons of clothes, but they were all ugly or flashy. Sweaters still upwards of $300. Some of the shoes appeared to be worn, and my wife did find a pair she liked but they were $200 with 10% off. Defintely not worth it. Mainly styles nobody ever wanted. She did comment to me that the quality of the merchandise overall was pretty bad, even compared to last year's.

As most people go for bags, there weren't many. A few very old pinkish colored messenger bags. Some type of straw material bags as well. She managed to get my name on the list for tomorrow and since I'm a glutton for punishment I'll probably drop in :wacko:

Are you going next week?

thanks so much for the 411...let me know if you concur...i may get slipped in but don't know when...really can't be bothered but i like to know what's going on...
really can't be bothered with the barney's sale either but as i may have the day off...i may just do a bit of browsing...

wait...so were there any fall samples?...like what's in the stores now...or was it all the tye dye stuff from spring???

No, I think that the latest they carried is Spring 04.

That would make sense huh, fall samples at the sample sale....another abuse of the term...:(

It's supposed to be mainly Fall/Winter 03, Resort 04, and Spring 04. Then I guess past seasons stuff that languishes from sale to sale.

My wife thinks it's mainly returned stuff from the vendors Soft. She saw Holt Renfew tags, some others stores, and whatever overstock from the Prada boutiques.

Prada's quality is ill-represented through its glossy ads.

Patrizio Bertelli should not be under the impression that bigger is better.

Originally posted by Theory@Aug 17 2004, 05:53 PM
No, I think that the latest they carried is Spring 04.

That would make sense huh, fall samples at the sample sale....another abuse of the term...:(

It's supposed to be mainly Fall/Winter 03, Resort 04, and Spring 04. Then I guess past seasons stuff that languishes from sale to sale.

My wife thinks it's mainly returned stuff from the vendors Soft. She saw Holt Renfew tags, some others stores, and whatever overstock from the Prada boutiques.
[snapback]336139[/snapback]​

i KNEW it...figures...complete waste of time...i'm not going...

I always feel like I may miss out on something if I don't go.

Once, at the Helmut Lang sample sale (Whatever happend to those) I scored a pair of pants in my size, in perfect condition for $60.

I'll still go and I'll be sure to scout the women's areas and post up any interesting finds tomorow.

Here's a recap of the VIP day Soft from FWD.

Prada Grab Bag
Buyer beware...at Prada's sample sale, there's a 3-handbag limit!

NEW YORK: Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Yesterday, it was one for all—or rather, a free for all—as editors from Allure to Vogue gathered on the first day of the highly anticipated Prada sample sale—that was, if you could find the building. Elle accessories director, Ellyn Chestnut, was spotted pacing up and down East 57th Street, searching for the Fuller Building locale with the help of a fellow editor via cell phone. “I’m not coming from the office,” the jeans-and-jacket clad editor volunteered of her casual outfit. That seemed to be the case for many, as they came prepared to strip down to their skivvies and tank tops in the hopes of snagging a must-have look at a bargain-basement price.

Inside—bearing resemblance to one of Amy Sacco’s fashion week parties at Bungalow 8—cell phones and Blackberry’s went off and the shopping commenced. “All I need is my DJ in here,” the nighttime hostess joked. Sacco arrived early and hit the handbags first, snagging close to a dozen pieces before being informed ever-so-gently by an attendee that the limit was three handbags per person. “Only three!” she exclaimed, pouting ever so slightly. “What am I going to do?” Well, for one thing, pass the goodies along to friends like fellow attendee and PR guru Nadine Johnson, which was exactly what she did and second, stock up on shoes instead. Teen Vogue editor in chief Amy Astley, looking as perfectly coiffed as she does sitting front row at the Marc Jacobs fashion show, rifled through the racks of clothes, her manicured fingers sifting through the hangers with surely the same precision and skill as the hair stylist who cuts her razor-sharp bangs. “Yes, no, yes, not for me,” she said to herself, before departing with an armload of goodies, including one pair of leather-and-croc gloves.

Over on the men’s side, Harper’s Bazaar accessories director Danya Unterhalter took control of a full-length mirror and donned a layered green dress from the spring 2004 collection while fellow accessories editor Carolyn Tate Angel stood adjacent, trying on her own pile of wears. The Elle team—fashion director Nina Garcia, fashion news director Anne Slowey, style director Isabel Dupré and associate market editor Joann Pailey—all arrived together and were greeted by editor in chief Roberta “Robbie” Myers, who spent the bulk of her time checking out the leathers and exotic-skinned pieces. Marie Claire fashion director Tracy Taylor snagged one of the sought-after tie-dye pieces—a red, white, and blue button-down shirt. “It’s a bit too big,” she said, holding it up to her petite frame. “But that’s what a good tailor’s for.” GQ fashion editor Brian Coats scored with a shirt and a jacket, but was disappointed he didn’t find more. “I really came prepared to shop,” he said, giving the men’s department one last look before heading to the registers. J. Mendel PR director Lauren Davis, who arrived back to New York from Croatia the morning of the sale, was refreshed and ready to shop. “What does it mean when the ticket has a blue dot on it?” she asked. “That means it’s ten percent off,” shouted back another eager shopper. “What did you say? It’s $110?” Davis exclaimed back, mishearing.

Even fashion plate and actress Rashida Jones—accompanied by her mom, Peggy Lipton—showed up to get their shop on. Jones was happily shopping along, making her way from rack to rack, when she realized she had misplaced her yellow Marni top, which was accessorized with a major bling-bling diamond broach. Trying to stay calm, she said to herself, “It’s the only item in here without a tag, so I’ve got to be able to find it.” Thankfully, she did.

Allure editor in chief Linda Wells, looking weather-ready in a monogrammed Louis Vuitton trenchcoat and matching Suhali bag, arrived at 3:30PM on the dot, just as the crowd began to die down. Haley Binn, wife of Niche Media Magazines publisher Jason Binn, was dropped off at the sale by a girlfriend, having come straight from the Hamptons, and opted to go with some peep-toed shoes and a couple of fall-worthy bags after spending two hours at the sale. “I spent a fairly reasonable amount this time around,” she said enthusiastically. “But what I spent this time was nothing compared to the first time Jason and I came—we’re talking five figures then. But Jason specifically said not to buy him a thing this time around, which was fine because that means all the more for me.” And just how much did the first day bring in? Judging from one register—which broke down temporarily after ringing an endless number of sales—not too disappointing. “I had one woman spend $3,000 today, and she said she was coming back for more,” commented one cashier.

Others spotted in the crowd: New York magazine editor in chief Adam Moss, fashion director Harriet Mays Powell and contributing editor Jacob Bernstein, Burberry PR director John Cross, Gotham/Hamptons vice chairman Cristina Greeven Cuomo, In Style accessories director Alice Kim, People managing editor Martha Nelson, Maxim market editor Maria Ruocco, and Vogue associate market editor Karla Martinez and fashion assistant Ethel Park.

mmm...thanks...so yeah...that was all spring...
so crazy to think of being in a room with linda wells in her underwear...i don't think i want to go there... :ninja:

hmm...where was the lucky crew, W and glamour...cause i'm sure they must have gone too...

Is there any other way to get in this weekend? I'm still temped to go, but the reservations are full for the days I'll be in NYC and I can't make an appointment on the website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->