Reebok - The All-Things 'Reebok Sneakers/Trainers' Thread

SuGaR_rUsH said:
i read somewhere that it's "ice" for bling and "cream" for money or someting. beats me.

yeah that's basically the idea...diamonds and cash/'cash rules everything around me', hence the diamonds/dollar signs/materialistic objects printed on the sneakers. I'm not a fan of the sneakers myself, although the lime green version Pharrell always wears that was never put into production is kinda cool looking.

:innocent: :shock:

wondering how this is going to turn out...from fashionweekdaily.com:

Reebok has taken art to new heights.

The lifestyle and sports apparel giant has announced plans to create a collection of one-of-a-kind footwear designs called Reeboppers, based on the work of the late artist Jean-Michel Basquiat.

In a multi-year agreement with the estate of the deceased graffiti artist, who rose to fame in the early ’80s by personifying the art scene with its youth culture of money, excess, and self-destruction, London design house Maharishi for Reebok will design the limited-edition offerings, which will be available at the end of the month and retail for $140. A complementary ad campaign will feature Basquiat and his work in Reebok’s current, “I Am What I Am” global advertising campaign.

“Basquiat’s ability to capture the public consciousness and draw the attention of such a diverse audience is a testament to the strength of his art as well confirmation of his desire and ability to communicate on a fundamental and emotional level,” said David Stark, Basquiat’s agent and president of Artestar, an international brand licensing and consulting company for fine art and lifestyle brands. “For us, it’s about taking art off a pedestal and giving it back to the people. Reebok’s I Am What I Am campaign and its Reeboppers collection speak to the power of the individual and provides a potent backdrop to the authenticity of our collaboration.”

The limited-edition Reeboppers feature iconic elements from Basquiat’s most famous pieces. In the traditional Basquiat colors of black, red and white, Maharishi created designs that were influenced by the artist’s use of paint and crayon which depicted rough-hewn figures and written messages. Aspects of Basquiat’s fanciful drawings, such as the symbolic crown featured in much of his work, are also included in the footwear collection.
JIM SHI

I'll assume not very well...
I can't believe they're doing this.
:huh::doh:

i am a little offended...
a basquait on a sneaker? tsk tsk...
i don't see how a basquiat print on a sneaker accomplishes "giving (art) back to the people"
seems a bit empty to me...

:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't mind this...
warhol had his prints on clothing...
keith haring did swatch watches...
sprouse jumped between fashion and art...
it's all part of the same movement...

this is POP art after all and i believe is intended to be part of popular culture....

i just don't know if the timing makes any sense...
would have been better a few years back when the movie was released....
what's the marketing strategy now?...:ermm:...

i would love to see how they look anyway...

thx for the thread kimair...:heart:...

true, softgrey...
pop art is about low art: that is, the attainable... art for the populous... for the masses...

but i think my initial reaction of disapproval came from the fact that basquiat is no longer alive...
unlike warhol and haring (i am not familiar with sprouse)
this is not his project...
this is not his creation...
this is not his art...

this company has purchased rights to print basquiat's art on a shoe...
i find that a bit unsettling, even though it is in the spirit of pop art...

i can certainly see your point calexico...

the warhol foundation has been doing the very same thing though...
for some time now...
so i guess i am desensitized because i know that...:P

and i also know about basquiat's relationship to warhol...
so it seems that he is following in his footsteps...
even after his death...

:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
well... perhaps it is not so unsettling then...
i suppose it is no different from buying a [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]lichtenstein-print tshirt... [/FONT]
you have very fine points, softgrey...
:D

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] [/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->