User Friendly
Reaction score
St. John steps out with creative classics at L.A. Fashion Week

spacer.gif

[SIZE=-1]SANDY COHEN[/SIZE]
spacer.gif

[SIZE=-1]Associated Press[/SIZE]
spacer.gif

LOS ANGELES - Wide leather belts and white fedoras marked St. John's runway debut as the venerable knitwear company showcased its spring 2006 styles to cap off L.A. Fashion Week.

With a palette that ranged from crisp cream and khaki to toasty olive and black, the Southern California-based clothier offered mostly traditional looks, sprinkled with a few whimsical pieces.

Long known for its conservative styles, St. John seems to be embracing a fresh, more modern approach. Last month, the company announced a partnership with actress Angelina Jolie, who will star in the spring 2006 ad campaigns and front its new philanthropic efforts.

Thursday night's show - staged at Culver City's Smashbox Studios by 7th on Sixth/IMG, the production team behind New York's Olympus Fashion Week - opened with the sleek knit suits and dresses that helped launch St. John in 1962.

Simple lines are the hallmark of the company's new collection - on pencil-straight skirts, classic blazers and timeless trenchcoats in taffeta and cotton.

Nearly every outfit was belted, providing a dose of color and definition at the waist in eye-popping yellow and bright spring green. Tuxedo-style cummerbunds acted as unconventional wide belts atop blazers, blouses and slim-fitting slacks. Pants sat high on the waist and were tapered tightly at the ankle, cigarette style, or were cropped at calf-length and topped with knit bolero jackets.

Black made a strong statement in sheer, ruffle-front blouses, knit cocktail dresses and a sparkly corseted column gown.

But there were colorful, innovative expressions too. Sundresses were reinterpreted with pockets in flowing, scarf-inspired florals. A candy-striped cardigan and tank-style dress in brown, pink and mint looked like a springtime sorbet.

A sheer crepe caftan - with swaths of olive, yellow and blue - made a sophisticated veil over a triangle bikini top and tiny cuffed shorts. There was even an asymmetrical, one-piece swimsuit in the mix.

St. John's appearance at L.A. Fashion Week was further evidence of the Orange County-based company's new direction. The runway show was the first in the company's 43-year history, spokeswoman Regina Delgado said.
It was also a first for L.A. Fashion Week, which has typically favored newer designers since its inception as Mercedes-Benz L.A. Fashion Week in 2002.

The five-day spring 2006 event, which began Oct. 16, featured collections by 34 designers. Kevan Hall, who dressed "Desperate Housewives" star Felicity Huffman for the Emmys, opened the week with his Atlantis-themed designs.

Louis Verdad set the week's Hollywood tone with spring and summer styles inspired by Barbara Stanwyck's moviestar glamour. His fans include Paris Hilton, actress Gina Gershon and celebrity son Jack Osborne. Actress-turned-designer Jamie Pressly showcased her J'aime and Maddie Jeans lines on Wednesday. Former NBA star Rick Fox and actresses Lisa Rinna and Finola Hughes took in the St. John show.

The clothes were a little boring.. I was mostly impressed with the model lineup... Carmen, Inguna, Hye, Natasha, Vlada, Emina and Caroline Winberg.. I wonder if they walked for any other LA shows..

hmmm...i'm seeing alber elbaz's fingerprints all over this...

thanks for this charlotte...
a runway show after all these years...
i guess they really are going for this new image all the way...
i never even knew that they were LA based...
i always thought they were german like escada...
their image has always been so stiff...
doesn't seem very CA at all...

:flower:

Their budgets must be huge to fly all these top models out to L.A. And they advertised EVERYWHERE for fall 2005.

I wonder what the diehard St. John customer has to say about this new direction. I bet they'll lose a lot of clients that really depended on the brand for that stable, conservative look.

i bet they already have lost a lot of clients...
from old age....:ninja:...

softgrey said:
i bet they already have lost a lot of clients...
from old age....:ninja:...

:o .. Thats a horrible thing to say.... but it made me laugh out loud :lol:

And yeah.. they must have spent a fortune on the models... too bad they didn't get Giselle to walk since she's doing the ads.. that would have definately created Buzz... and doesn't Giselle live in LA?

wow expensive runway show, they have a store here that i never see anyone walk into :innocent:

Did anyone notice the writers name was Sandy Cohen? :lol:

am i delirious or isn't angelina jolie doing the ads now...?..

i know charlotte...:lol:
but it's not really so horrible...
their clientele is an older demographic...
so, it's really just a fact from a business point of view, right?...
as the customer ages...they need to find new ones...
was also true for YSL...
:wink:

softgrey said:
am i delirious or isn't angelina jolie doing the ads now...?..

i know charlotte...:lol:
but it's not really so horrible...
their clientele is an older demographic...
so, it's really just a fact from a business point of view, right?...
as the customer ages...they need to find new ones...
was also true for YSL...
:wink:

Yes, you're right, they gave Giselle the boot after ... just one season was it? They obviously bent over backwards and then some to get Angelina ... perhaps Giselle was always a stop-gap.

And I think you're absolutely right, that is what's happening with their customer base ... they started making all these changes when their sales slumped for the first time ... Ann Landers was their most loyal customer that I know of, wore nothing else, and she died several years ago at 78 wasn't it?

I don't quite understand why they didn't try to rope in the younger version of their traditional customer ... perhaps their research showed that that lady is going the way of the dodo bird ... I guess even ladies who lunch wear jeans nowadays ... :rolleyes: :lol:

So are you saying you think Alber consulted???

i actually like this collection, it seems very promising to me.....

I wonder where I could see a complete collection though... I'm pretty sure they don't only have 8 looks for the show :D

That bathing suit picture made me immediately think of a very young Lauren Hutton. Eerie. :shock:

I thought of one of those Banana Republic runway shows when I saw this. Maybe this brand should have stayed the same? I was entertained by the ads with middle aged women surrounded by beefcake.:innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->