The Last Movie You Saw?

Priscilla, which was super boring. It was Marie Antoinette 2.0 - sad girl being sad in luxurious home for 2 hours with additional montage of wealth, spending and childish fun. It has no soul at all.

I didn't hate the movie I just feel like it was too long and too short at the same time if that makes sense? But there was a very emotional scene that had me all teary-eyed

rewatched love exposure by sion sono; this movie is completely insane and all over the place in the best way possible, the craziest and funniest 4 hour journey

z by costa gavras; its impossible to watch this and not get angry, more than 50 years later and the political themes explored by costa gavras are still very current, unfortunately. loved it, a 4.5/5 movie

Lords of Chaos because I realized Kanye's new album and merch that I bought bc I was bored was inspired by Varg Vikernes ... lol. I actually liked Rory Culkin in it lol he made me feel for Euronymous. He may have done crazy sh*t but I feel like he just got carried away and deep down he was a sweetheart that wanted to be liked :cry: when Skye was cutting his hair they looked so cute together and it felt so new leaf and heartfelt 😭 RIP

Dune: Part 2 was good. I don’t know that it works for me on any kind of emotional level, but in every other respect it’s astounding.

Poor Things was… a Yorgos Lanthimos movie. Would watch it 100 more times just for the visuals, but won’t because it’s hard to stomach at times.

@KoV wat'd you think of Jerrod Carmichael in Poor Things?? He was the one thing that annoyed me about the movie. The whole cast had fun accents until he came along talking in a plain and boring normal voice. Everything he said was so lackluster with no character at all. Which I thought maybe was a stylistic choice since he was the cynical character but I thought his acting was just so bad...

I’m inclined to agree. I felt like I was somehow just not connecting the dots, that there must be a reason he just seemed so… flat. But I’m not so sure. Jerrod is friends with Ramy, maybe that’s how he got the gig? But Yorgos isn’t sloppy, it feels like it was a deliberate choice. The only other Black actor in the movie, Suzy Bemba, also has a very flat, thankless, one-note role serving only to briefly support Emma Stone’s journey.

Actually, aside from Stone, none of the other performances are particularly worthy of note. Mark Ruffalo’s Oscar nomination is a joke. Felt like an amateur, hammy stage performance to me. But at least he was trying *something*, Jerrod was just reading his lines like they were terms and conditions. Beyond flat.

Got about a third of the way into "Asteroid City". Couldn't continue any further as I kept getting lost as to what the meta-ness of it all was for. Felt incredibly indulgent and convoluted for no particular reason, and maybe another ploy for Anderson to show off the amount of well known actors he can get in his ensemble.

Great hair/wigs though. Particularly Tilda's. Fan of seeing her in brown hair for some strange reason.

Manjummel Boys, a Malayalam-language survival thriller. To put it simply, it's about a bunch of working-class young men who take a trip and one of them falls down a hole in a cave, but what stayed with me wasn't just that part but how vividly and realistically it got the portrayal of their lives up to that point.

Took an absurd amount of time, but I finally finished Ludwig last night, the 4 hour cut with random scenes dubbed into Italian.

Saw both Dune 1 and 2 and wow I see where a lot of designers get their ideas from lol. Altho a lot of it is historically referenced anyways.

Man Ray - L'Étoile de mer (1928). The epitome of surrealist magic.

The Man From Nowhere (aka Ajusshi) a rewatch after more than a decade and it's just as amazing as I remember, I know how it turned out and it still had me on the edge of my seat. Between Won Bin, the intense pacing, action scenes, and of course that perfect soundtrack.... 11/10, still, and one of my GOAT list for films in any language.

(and this is where I insert my lament over Won Bin basically retiring from acting entirely after this project, before he was even 33 - he's such a fantastic actor and I'm full of regrets that his filmography is so short by choice, but well, when you have a filmography like THAT....flawless)

Secretly, Greatly (2013)

First rewatch since 2013 and it's just as good now as it was then - comedy+North Korean spy thriller isn't a mix that sounds like it should work, but it really does.

The Last Omen ... I went in thinking I was gonna be rolling my eyes bored but I really got into it!! Pretty good increasing sense of dread, and I hadn't seen the original in so long so once sh*t started going down I felt so shocked and intrigued. Also a lot more graphic than I was expecting ... lol ... But Nell Tiger Free tore that look in the disco scene. And her "prospect" was so cute 😭

Just watched the Alexander McQueen documentary, McQueen from 2018.
Watching it made me really appreciate his artistry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->