• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

The Most Overrated Designers...

Mugler. I can't stand the stiff suits, the heavyness, the shoulder pads. UGH

The 80's in general is an overrated decade by fashion insiders. It was HIDEOUS. At the very moment when fashion should had communicated with the streets, it went back to Dior levels of stiffiness and ladylike bs.

The 80's in general is an overrated decade by fashion insiders. It was HIDEOUS. At the very moment when fashion should had communicated with the streets, it went back to Dior levels of stiffiness and ladylike bs.
!!!!

one of the worst decades in fashion history, helped only by the introduction of those japanese revolutionaries and the new romantic wave

Leave Hedi and John alone.

Hedi has much legitimate artistic sensibility in his Deco collection as John ever was. Having real artistic credibility is hard to find.

I was there at the time haha. Everybody loved Raf Simons for Jil Sander, Galliano (before 2009), everybody was crazy about Alber Elbaz, Pilati was considered super cool (before 2009) as well… Nicolas Ghesquière had his following (I was among them), people were crazy about KL (not because of the quality of the shows themselves, even if some of them were wonderful sometimes), but because he became huuuuuge. It was such a cool moment with all the documentaries and all the interviews he did. Prada was quite loved also and taken very seriously (even if she always had detractors). The Prada show was a huge “event” in 2006/2009. MJ was also huge at the time and he had a very strong following, but I think he was never a “favourite” of anybody. I think Marc’s case is very interesting. I’d love to meet him.

Phoebe Philo was not really considered by the fashion people. I didn’t even like her at the time. It was just for “cute”’girls imo. A commercial success but no one saw in her a fashion mastermind I think.

And people thought the American designers were terrible: Altuzarra, Wang and all of the Wintour protégés.
Thank you for your insightful reply and I will definitely check out Elbaz and Pilati (I'll confess I don't know them). So happy Jil Sander was always appreciated and also Prada. I look at all Y2K Prada and Miu Miu vintage shoes nowadays and I get a lady boner just from looking at them. So beautiful! I would have thought Michael Kors at Céline was also appreciated. I've seen some of his work back then and it was astounding!

To be fair, Philo was a young designer at that time, though. She literally changed fashion and the way we see it now, which is why so many people here on this forum are royally pissed at her and her heirs. But fashion isn't going to change back to what we knew it before her, and people should start accepting that. A significant part of contemporary fashion has a core where 'less is more' and that's how it's going to stay. Even in sci-fi movies or series in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, you can see costume designers adhering to minimalism. The minimalist part of what she did is probably what is overrated nowadays and her artistic side is the one that is underrated.

I've never been a fan of KL and have always seem him as overrated, but I've seen very old designs of his at Chloé that let me understand why he was so cherished. He undoubtedly always had an artist in him.

P.S. So sad to hear Mugler mentioned in this thread. I love him to bits, all of the decadence of it, it's my kind of glam and glitter.

For me a very overrated designer in terms of “fashion quality” is Jacquemus.

The thing is that he knew how to create a very clear and specific brand image, and he has his own world like the big ones (Tom Ford), but I do think he’s been very lucky and his success is somehow unexplainable for me.
Jacquemus is definitely lacking quality whilst he is pretty, pretty big. Even though I have always liked him, I do think he is quite overrated. He lacks finesse in his craft and designs.

I have such a Love/Hate relationship with the 80’s!
It was an era of terrible personal style for the most part and a lot of hideous things were shown but it was also an era of excess and creativity like no other. It was an era where HF really flourished because all the voices managed to be heard at the same time. The eco-system of fashion changed! The re-introduction of the Japanese through a new way of thinking fashion and a lot of new voices!

And 3 of my favorite designers of all time delivered masterpieces in the 80’s (Azzedine, Gianni and Karl). Obviously, Azzedine became mainstream in the 80s but Gianni! He delivered!!

And it’s weird, I have always preferred the joyful and creative naïveté of the 80’s to the very manufactured early 90’s one. We saw a lot of 80’s designers crumbled when the party was over after the Guf War.

And for a longtime, I hated Mugler and Montana too…Because they were a bit the opposite of Azzedine and Gianni. For me, the woman wasn’t always the main character in their fashion. But they are geniuses! An outstanding body of work!

Leave Hedi and John alone.

Hedi has much legitimate artistic sensibility in his Deco collection as John ever was. Having real artistic credibility is hard to find.
Hedi is an esthète more than a designer to me in a way.
He can never be overrated because he revolutionized menswear and the way men dresses but also because of his influence in the business of fashion, in the most down to earth way….

Hedi has an artistic sensibility similar of an Art Director rather than a fashion designer.

I have always found hypocrite how the French fashion scene treated Tom Ford as opposed to Hedi. They are more of the same tbh. The only difference is that, at some point, Tom had to « prove » that he wasn’t « just a stylist » as a lot of people would say. And I think the last 4 years of his career sealed that badge of honor for him.

Hedi never had to prove himself. He had Jean Jacques Picard and Pierre Bergé as supporters..

Jean Touitou is maybe the only person I can remember who had a different POV regarding his work.

And I love Hedi, don’t get me wrong but the value of his work is esthetic rather than creative.

John Galliano however is a genius too. It’s one thing to be skilled, it’s another thing to be imaginative and frivolous about it. Only the greats have that.

And to touch on Jacquemus, is he even rated? He reminds me so much of Alexander Wang a little bit. So celebrated and supported because of his energy, his look, his aesthetic but at some point, he has to prove himself.
The test for Alexander Wang was Balenciaga. He failed!

Jacquemus now has to prove himself because his last hits are almost 5/6 years old. And I feel like people don’t buy amazing settings no more…

I feel like I had already read you were Squizree but seeing this again makes no sense hahah, you were so wild back then! bring him back! (but don't get banned 🙏).
🤣I love that you remember (I dread knowing any more). I certainly remember you! I got suspended so many f*cking times! The forums were so CHARGED back then. The users were active and the discussions got so heated, they often had very little to do with fashion anymore. And that definitely starts to make certain designers feel "overrated".
somewhere between growing up, the hype, his increasingly obnoxious behavior too, and the way guys in particular would seriously go into some kind of trance
This is basically it. The growing up for me esp. The internet amplifies fan idolatry and celebrity worship, and when you're a kid posting on an anonymous public forum you get sucked in and the internet is your OYSTER. I love that tFS has a record of our lives and growth (but I don't think I'm ready to read my old stuff just yet lol).

🤣I love that you remember (I dread knowing any more). I certainly remember you! I got suspended so many f*cking times! The forums were so CHARGED back then. The users were active and the discussions got so heated, they often had very little to do with fashion anymore. And that definitely starts to make certain designers feel "overrated".

This is basically it. The growing up for me esp. The internet amplifies fan idolatry and celebrity worship, and when you're a kid posting on an anonymous public forum you get sucked in and the internet is your OYSTER. I love that tFS has a record of our lives and growth (but I don't think I'm ready to read my old stuff just yet lol).
I had wondered what happened to you !

And that's how I remember, cause you made my first UNPAID job harder 😂.. but, so you know, I think the bar was also higher for members back then lol, the stuff you got suspended for was sooo harmless is comparison to what's allowed now (personal attacks, trolling, rants from lack of medication, etc). I was actually wondering why I never participated here and concluded it was WhiteLinen, that girl was gifted at hijacking every thread and sinking it into a total snoozefest with her multiple posts in a row trying to turn weather talk into schopenhauerism lol. She doesn't sound too bad in retrospective... certainly wouldn't have gotten banned in 2024 tfs!

I have a love-hate relationship with these old posts but I feel more nostalgia than embarrassment.. being a kid with no professional experience or life experience in general, and certainly no higher education, made it easier to romanticise the world of adults and kind of abandon yourself into the adrenaline of fashion, and nurture that admiration until you're almost levitating and totally overrating whatever you happen to enjoy. It was a purer, more ignorant but happier form of appreciation. Rick Owens' Revillion? 'dreamy!', Lanvin? 'a fairy tale!' haha. I think I revised my entire relationship with fashion after my degree and when I started working and then crossing paths with people in creative industries.. that came with its own, not fun at all layer of cynicism..

And that's how I remember, cause you made my first UNPAID job harder 😂.. but, so you know, I think the bar was also higher for members back then lol, the stuff you got suspended for was sooo harmless is comparison to what's allowed now (personal attacks, trolling, rants from lack of medication, etc). I was actually wondering why I never participated here and concluded it was WhiteLinen, that girl was gifted at hijacking every thread and sinking it into a total snoozefest with her multiple posts in a row trying to turn weather talk into schopenhauerism lol. She doesn't sound too bad in retrospective... certainly wouldn't have gotten banned in 2024 tfs!
😂😂I'm soooo sorry. If it makes you feel any better, I knew I was being a prissy EDGELORD the whole time lol.

being a kid with no professional experience or life experience in general, and certainly no higher education, made it easier to romanticise the world of adults and kind of abandon yourself into the adrenaline of fashion, and nurture that admiration until you're almost levitating and totally overrating whatever you happen to enjoy. It was a purer, more ignorant but happier form of appreciation. Rick Owens' Revillion? 'dreamy!', Lanvin? 'a fairy tale!' haha.
Oh, you put this sooo well. The internet let us live the FANTASY, but ageing and eventually becoming disenchanted by it is even better.

im not sure if rick owens is over rated but i think its a case of a loud minority.

Rick has always been overrated. Maybe that first 2 years but now its basically hairstylist wear. Hairstylists love Rick - its an all black look that is obviously designer plus there are coordinating sneakers …

Rick has always been overrated. Maybe that first 2 years but now its basically hairstylist wear. Hairstylists love Rick - its an all black look that is obviously designer plus there are coordinating sneakers …
Rick's peers to me were Junya Watanabe and Antonio Marras. While Junya is obviously well respected by most fashion lovers, even those who are GenZ streetswear hypebeast etc, i think Marras is kinda slept on. His tenure at Kenzo was just so wonderful and inspiring 🥺, dude can execute Japanese wild maximalism better than even a Japanese designer Cough ! Cough ! Nigone...

Wrinkled materials is not appealing to 99% of fashion consumers. The only pre wrinkled stuff I had was Balmain Homme in like 2015… only balmain had the credibility to sell wrinkled clothes IMO…

Oliver Rousteing CO-designer with Berry at Schiaparelli when 😍?

WTF Was everyone 13yo when they joined TFS?!?!?! (...I know Mullet was like 10yo...)

Jacquemus won’t be someone that will be remembered, inspire, and celebrated when fashion looks back. Him and his brand are a product of the time, a time of low standards where basic fastfashion is mistaken for high fashion because the designer is a social celeb flexing his celeb lifestyle with celeb friends— nothing to do with creative talent nor vision: In the 90s he would have been Kenneth Cole or Tommy Hilfiger. Like Alexander Wang before him, Jacquemus’ a popular mean girl that will be left behind when the social butterflies move on to the next new hot thing. He doesn’t belong in this conversation.

I have always thought that Hussein Chalayan was the most overrated designer ever!

I think Raf Simons is overrated as a womenswear designer.

Was Hussein hyped, praised and overrated to the high heavens…??? He was hilariously so serious and so convinced of his intellectual concepts that he gave a thesis whenever interviewed, but that was typical of British designers at the time. He was at the opposite end of the fashion spectrum when compared to a marketer like Jacquemus: Hussein was all about the intellectual pursuit of design but nothing invested in securing his brand. He’s someone who simply cannot attempt to commercial necessities.

He definitely made an impact for the first few years after he debuted. And he sort of deserved it, frankly. But outside of his shows, maybe editors and fashion students’ adoration— which may as well translate to no sales and absolutely no hope of brand-sustainability, I can’t ever remember him even being featured in fashion publications. Then he faded out… He reminds me a lot of Damir Doma in a sense— maybe even Vetements in their first few years, but Damir’s and Vetememts' sensibilities were so much more accessible— even more relevant since they also designed for men. Individuals like Hussein/Damir/Vetements are more fairly remembered as the hot new labels— which like any industry, will always get the sheep desperate for, if only to namedrop. Overrated is perhaps an unfair term for them. There will always be the hot new pretentious ones that will be celebrated, then gone in a few years.

Raf on the other hand… If there’s a posterboy for an overrated fashion designer who just won’t go away, it would always and forever be him. Most insufferable, most pretentious, most self-imporatnt and most joyless and utterly gormless of any designer that zaps the life, the effervescence and the energy out of fashion. Fashion design is and never will be art, get over yourself. …I did liked his Lego boots— and appreciate his Dior and Calvin Klein LOL But if he announced his retirement tomorrow, then good riddance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abaloney01
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->