• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

The Universe, Our World

Originally posted by Spike413@Aug 20 2004, 01:11 PM
The one thing I've always wondered, but never dwelled upon cause it hurts my head after a while, is how is it that the universe just doesn't end? Like, if we were able to go that far into space, how is it that there would neve be an ending??? Can something possible be infinite? And if it isn't then what's at the end?
[snapback]339518[/snapback]​

Imagine for a moment that you are traveling forward in a straight line, but in reality, you are going in a circle.

Originally posted by Spike413@Aug 20 2004, 02:11 PM
The one thing I've always wondered, but never dwelled upon cause it hurts my head after a while, is how is it that the universe just doesn't end? Like, if we were able to go that far into space, how is it that there would neve be an ending??? Can something possible be infinite? And if it isn't then what's at the end?
[snapback]339518[/snapback]​

and then when you throw in the theory of parallel universe :glare: :dizzy:

Originally posted by CaptainJackSparrow@Aug 20 2004, 08:32 AM
even with cloning, man isn't really making a being "grow" ...they are just finding other ways to START the growing process...and change the codes for physical outcome....we are FAR from actually creating these codes (ie. an actual DNA nucleotide from scratch), and we are far from actually being the ones inducing the growth (i.e. getting the DNA to make a cell, which will then split, which will then serve a specific task, etc)

but even IF we create the final physical being from scratch and learn to make it grow, we are very far from making that physical being actually LIVE...(i.e. make choices, love, hate, form opinions, etc)

these things, as of today, are IMPOSSIBLE for man to create...cloning is childs play
[snapback]339526[/snapback]​

This reminds me of an old joke. The devil says to God, "I'm going to make me a man." God says, "Go ahead, make you a man." The devil bent down and began to scoop up some clay. "Ah, ah, ah -- start by making your own clay!" (see Genesis 2:7 for the reference.) :innocent:

Originally posted by ahhGucci@Aug 20 2004, 08:37 AM
Imagine for a moment that you are traveling forward in a straight line, but in reality, you are going in a circle.
[snapback]339557[/snapback]​
Too much for my brain to comprehend......seriously that question gets me all :wacko:

Originally posted by Kimkhuu@Aug 12 2004, 04:26 AM
..........you can never get an answer to anything!!! Ex.: let's say I ask you why does a pen fall down when I dropo it.....  You'll tell me it's because of gravity, and you can even go on an talk to me about Newton and you can even make calculs out of it all, but all you're explaining to me is HOW things happened not WHY!!!!  Don't know if you guys are getting it.... But even if you finally (FOR EXAMPLE!!!) get to an answer that it's because of God.  But there's still another WHY and you'll go on and on and on and asking why all the time, so you're never gonna get an answer.....

[snapback]328949[/snapback]​

They say that science can answer the "how" questions and religion can answer the "why" questions. There is and interesting article on this at Science v. Religion

I have always been intrigued with questions of the quantum world. We live in the "normal" world, where we label everything and have explanations for how things are, for example, Newton did not "invent" gravity, it always existed. He merely gathered the information to explain it and gave it a name.

I don't think that it is such a crazy notion to believe that such discoveries come from a different realm, like a sixth sense, like when you get "in the zone" when u work out, or get a gut instinct about something. The periodic table came to a russian scientist in a dream! Maybe this is what we are missing (the 96% of our brain that we don't use) as we have been conditioned from an early age as a child to accept what we see and what we are told. Kimkhuu's "whys" remind me of being a child always asking "why" and never being satisfied with the answer "it JUST IS!!". Maybe we have closed off our ability to receive it so easily from birth. Maybe it's an ESP thing! :magic:

If you think I am crazy, can you proove me wrong :question:

Originally posted by Spike413@Aug 20 2004, 05:37 PM
Too much for my brain to comprehend......seriously that question gets me all :wacko:
[snapback]339667[/snapback]​

imagine walking in a straight line on planet earth, you would think that you were walking further and further away from your starting point but eventually u would cover the entire circumference and end up where you started, if you know what i mean.

BTW it wasn't that long ago that we thought the earth was flat!!

You haven't really proved yourself right yet
Maybe the reason we get answers like 'it just is' is because the people we are asking don't know the answers themselves. I've never been satisfied with the answer 'it just is'. Maybe its my upbringing. Maybe you arent crazy, maybe you are completely right :o
:smile:

If I could porove myself right I'd be a billionaire :king:

I'm going to go off and think like a child about this one

The thing I have to question is... does it matter? Does it matter if we know how we're derived, or born, as a kind? Overall, I see how it gives some a sense of being, but still... there are always questions left uananswered, and as human beings, I feel that we can only get so much answered without basing certain things on assumptions.

It may seem pertinent to some to have an answer, just an answer, for it all. Some get that through religion, some through philosophy, and some just plain don't. Whatever. And that's okay, either way. But in this lifetime (people who believe in life after death, excluded :smile:), what difference will it make if we find the answers? Just to have peace of mind?

I don't mean to offend everybody. But that's been at the back of my mind concerning this issue. :flower:

but dont you think its unethical? cloning and all the other crap we as humans are trying to do? why are we trying to become god?
i think were gonna blow up if we go on....

the ancient egyptians were destroyed when they got extra smart...there are many other civilizations that ceased to exist because they got smarter than they were supposed to be.

i dont know if any of you heard this before but there was a civilization that got so damn smart at making calulations (of all kinds) that they knew things people werent supposed to know, even predict the future accurately.
God sent Gabriel down on the earth and asked him to talk to the people there...he went to a couple of kids and asked them of their knowledge. he then asked him if they could tell if there was any angel around. the kids spent a few minutes calculating (astronomy etc) and then they told Gabriel that there was indeed an angel very close by!
and that was that. the civilization was destroyed then. (reference: Quran)

so it all really boils down to the fact that we dont know anything! we seem smart now, but we never know where the knowledge ends...

I think these are the most important questions you can ask, how else are we going to evolve if we don't question how we began, where we are going etc.? (especially when we have the potential to blow ourselves up)

I just read something that caught my eye whilst browsing string theories. In its final form string theory should be able to provide answers to answer questions like:

Where do the four forces that we see come from?
Why do we see the various types of particles that we do?
Why do particles have the masses and charges that we see?
Why do we live in 4 spacetime dimensions?
What is the nature of spacetime and gravity?

So maybe science will hold the answers.

I don't think religion should hold back our advances as a race of human beings. I don't think we are completely stupid, give us some credit.

I'll comment on your story saad when you quote from the Qu'ran and tell the story completely.

[snapback]339809[/snapback]​
[/quote]

maybe God was pissed off that we outsmarted him :flower:

Originally posted by saad@Aug 20 2004, 06:33 PM
and whats predestination?!?! anyone???
[snapback]339824[/snapback]​

Look at it this way, predestination is the knowledge by god of what choices you will make and where you will go. If I had a time machine, I could go to the future (theoretically) and see what happenes with you, what you will become, however, I do not act on your choices, you still have free will to choose them yourself. What I find very destructive is blamingg everything on destiny and not taking the initiative to improve your own life. In Islam, this life is a test is it not Saad? Now you take predestination and you tell me why we should hold back.

[snapback]339809[/snapback]​

maybe God was pissed off that we outsmarted him :flower:
[snapback]339838[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Maybe someone didnt tell the whole story :flower:

Originally posted by Tuti*Fruiti@Aug 20 2004, 12:29 PM
I think these are the most important questions you can ask, how else are we going to evolve if we don't question how we began, where we are going etc.? (especially when we have the potential to blow ourselves up)

I just read something that caught my eye whilst browsing string theories. In its final form string theory should be able to provide answers to answer questions like:

Where do the four forces that we see come from?
Why do we see the various types of particles that we do?
Why do particles have the masses and charges that we see?
Why do we live in 4 spacetime dimensions?
What is the nature of spacetime and gravity?

So maybe science will hold the answers.
[snapback]339817[/snapback]​

Apart from the last one which is so vague it could mean anything, all of of those questions have already been answered fairly comprehensively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maneaterwife
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->