• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Tried and True ...or Nothing New..?

LostInNJ

Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.
Reaction score
After reading through several of the topics covering the recent fall shows, I couldn't help but notice a pattern. Whether it was Michael Kors, Gucci, Versace, or Carolina Herrera, the comments were..."it's nothing new", and "he/she has done that before." Yet, when I read the topic on Rochas, I pointed out that it looked like what he had been doing for the past several seasons, but I was told that it was okay because it was a progression. My question is, what makes it okay for one designer to carry on an aesthetic from season to season and it's okay, and another designer to do the same, but it is dismissed as just the same old thing?

P.S., I'm sorry for not properly naming this topic, but I really couldn't think of one...:blush:

It's not so much about being "new" to me, but being inspired. Some designers can elaborate on a theme collection after collection, but it clearly looks inspired and loved, which can come across as "progression". Other designers do the same thing over and over again, and the inspiration and energy drop off with every collection, which comes across as tired, boring, and repetitive.

That's kind of how I see things, at least. I'm fine with designers doing the "same thing" over and over, as long as it's infused with a new energy and inspiration each time. Details are the key. :flower:

i gave it a title...hope you approve lost...

The thing is brands like Versace are crap every season so instead of having to go through the rigmarole of saying why they're crap, over and over, it's easier to just say 'nothing new'. Or that's why I do it.

Well first of all Oliver at Rochas is new, Michael Kors, Versace, etc.. are nto new designers. Oliver is also doing something much more creative than any of the names you listed. I think people have complaid he has been doing the same look for Rocha season after season, but the Fall 2005 collection was actually refreshing becuase he added new elements.

If the theme works, and the line sells, the basis of the designs should be kept.

If it hasn't worked, then you're in trouble and have a lot of work on, simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petite
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->