Photo Annie Leibovitz
Stylist Lori Goldstein
By Nancy Collins
Subject Demi Moore
Hair Peter Savic
Makeup Joanne Gair
Nails Deborah Esposito

vanity fair archive

^ All this time later, and it STILL leaves all the other mag covers in the dust! I was reading her autobiography, and she mentions that the article was upsetting, and mean, but she loved the photos.

Also amazing to see Dancer form the Dance article. :wub:

The calibre of the Martha Graham book excerpt - which doesn't even merit a mention on the cover - is a bittersweet reminder of just how abysmal the content has become in modern-day Vanity Fair.

^ I miss those book excerpts that you would start reading unexpectedly in a magazine and sort of suspend time for a bit.

.. strange that for an October issue and wanting to comprehend as much as possible her mark in dance, they chose someone else's book, when her life in her own words, Blood Memory, had just been published (August) and it's a magnetic book and the closest verbal expression of what she expressed through movement, no 'She had vision. And she had presence' type of writing (there's nothing more obnoxious than a dancer stanning about another dancer and unable to resist salacious tendencies). Not that some promotion in Vanity Fair would've made a huge difference but her company went into headless chicken mode and subsequent financial turmoil when she passed away and it lasted way into the 00s.. I would've supported her estate, but I guess it's less catchy.. look at that opening picture..

^ I miss those book excerpts that you would start reading unexpectedly in a magazine and sort of suspend time for a bit.

I suppose deciding to publish excerpts from someone else's book about a person fits in with the gossipy feel of Vanity Fair - I'm going through a bunch of older issues at the moment, and I must see if they ever published first-person features or autobiographical accounts as much as they loved sharing someone else's take on a situation or a celebrity.

Maybe that was one of the unwritten rules of the magazine - never talk about yourself, but always make sure you've got plenty to say about other people.

.. strange that for an October issue and wanting to comprehend as much as possible her mark in dance, they chose someone else's book, when her life in her own words, Blood Memory, had just been published (August) and it's a magnetic book and the closest verbal expression of what she expressed through movement, no 'She had vision. And she had presence' type of writing (there's nothing more obnoxious than a dancer stanning about another dancer and unable to resist salacious tendencies). Not that some promotion in Vanity Fair would've made a huge difference but her company went into headless chicken mode and subsequent financial turmoil when she passed away and it lasted way into the 00s.. I would've supported her estate, but I guess it's less catchy.. look at that opening picture..

Blood Memory is really one of the best autobiographies, ever. But the fact VF chose to post an excerpt from a different book about Graham, is such a VF move haha. Speaking of good autobiographies, I also recommend Gelsey Kirkland's Dancing on my Grave. Adore it; brutal, honest, and beautiful.

Blood Memory is really one of the best autobiographies, ever. But the fact VF chose to post an excerpt from a different book about Graham, is such a VF move haha. Speaking of good autobiographies, I also recommend Gelsey Kirkland's Dancing on my Grave. Adore it; brutal, honest, and beautiful.
Oh that was a great book on Kirkland!

I suppose deciding to publish excerpts from someone else's book about a person fits in with the gossipy feel of Vanity Fair - I'm going through a bunch of older issues at the moment, and I must see if they ever published first-person features or autobiographical accounts as much as they loved sharing someone else's take on a situation or a celebrity.

Maybe that was one of the unwritten rules of the magazine - never talk about yourself, but always make sure you've got plenty to say about other people.
not a terrible life motto. :lol:

I'm not that familiar with VF to be honest (bought it once or twice over a decade ago) but I enjoy my share of gossip.. I just expect it to be top quality! I like when someone shares a good part of their lives and the way things unfolded in their eyes, full of funny, emotional, likely biased remarks that you know have little interest on being objective, they were just present and confined to their perspective, and it makes the feeling of being there and understanding a lot easier than grandiose descriptions or bias stated as revealing facts. I think that's why it was important for her to write her own story and for her estate to rush for its release (in what appears to be the same date as De Mille's, August 1 1991-- would like to know how that happened, that doesn't sound very bff :ninja:).

Miss Dalloway, I love Dancing on my Grave! :heart:.. Gelsey should've done more writing in her life. I used to work regularly with a little group of former Balanchine trainees (all over 60 or 70) and they would talk daily about "Mr. B" (how I hate that creepy nickname!) as this mythical genius you can't touch or even deserve to talk about. When I read her book years later, after all that adulation I had overheard still happening more than 50 years later and imagining what it must've been like then, with him around and inside the studio...it just seemed to me that she was one of those rare true artists, on a quest for something deeper than what she was offered, critical and curious by nature and never satisfied. It's sad that being so self-critical also prevented her from being aware of the calibre of her talent and we all know how that ended..

Ralph Lauren F/W 91.92
Photo Bruce Weber
Model Ralph Lauren

Guess F/W 91.92
Photo Ellen von Unwerth
Model Shana Zarick

vanity fair

Last edited:
Escada by Martha Ley F/W 91.92
Photo Unknown
Models Claudia Schiffer, Suzanne Lanza

jDA18JMS_t.jpeg