What to wear to the opera

Reaction score
I'm going to the first showing of an opera at the end of February. I have no idea how dressy to go. The dilemma is, this isn't the opening of the season, just the first night of the performance. So, I'm not sure what to wear???

I'm thinking something Carolina Herrera-esque: crisp white button down shirt with a black full skirt in maybe in taffeta and really dramatic pearl necklace. Does that sound too casual? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

Sounds great to me ... whenever I go to these kinds of things, people are always wearing a wide range of things. Remember Sharon Stone wore a similar outfit to the Oscars, so I say it's a plan :wink:

Help me Decide!

I need help deciding between these two faux fur jackets for the opera opening I'm attending in February.

#1 is a cape style without sleeves by INC (Macy's) and was marked down from $119 to 29.99. It hooks at the bottom.

#2 is an actual jacket by ANA (JC penny's) and was marked down from $200 to 79.99. It hooks at the bottom.

I like the jacket style better but I can't get over the price of the cape. Also, I have a lot of formals so I could use either one. I can't justify keeping both since they are so similar. I like that both are short and more young. I would feel silly in a longer fur coat at my age (20s) even though they will be on display that night. ^_^ From a practical standpoint, the cape won't be warm enough to wear by itself in the dead of winter. Thoughts? :flower:

Attachments

• aSW 008.jpg
    aSW 008.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 3
  • aSW 009.jpg
    aSW 009.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 3
well .. why not try to mix n match with your wardrobe ... it is important that what you buy matches with what u have already .... :P

price can be deceiving ... even if it is cheaper doesn't mean the fabric or the final cut is well done .... make sure you look at the inside too :P

i prefer the 2nd one too !

I much prefer the first for myself. Its lack of sleeves matches any style of evening gowns, which you will wear at formals and galas. The sleeved jacket looks more casual, and limits the sleeve-styles you can wear underneath. But if you don't wear poufy sleeved dresses and really prefer the second, forget the price and go for it. I dont think they are too similar; I also go to operas often and a wear a variety of evening dresses; for that price I may get both.

bump for merging

PS I too prefer #1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I much prefer the first for myself. Its lack of sleeves matches any style of evening gowns, which you will wear at formals and galas. The sleeved jacket looks more casual, and limits the sleeve-styles you can wear underneath. But if you don't wear poufy sleeved dresses and really prefer the second, forget the price and go for it. I dont think they are too similar; I also go to operas often and a wear a variety of evening dresses; for that price I may get both.

I think secretly this is what I wanted to hear. ^_^

Thanks for the responses! I think I *may*keep the jacket and look for a cape in a different color fur (brown sable or white). I think the cape style is very practical, like someone else said, for formals.

The thing with the cape is it doesn't look good over longer sleeves whereas the jacket takes care of that problem. The cape looks best over a sleevless dress.

I think these pics show up better without the flash:

Attachments

• aSW 002.jpg
    aSW 002.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 0
  • aSW 003.jpg
    aSW 003.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 0
  • aSW 001.jpg
    aSW 001.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 0
The cape is so lovely and the price is too good to miss. Apart from the depths of winter, it would be perfect for any formal occasion and would really dress up an outfit.

^ You could also wear long gloves to cover your arms. My new gloves are long cashmere ones, and if I wear them with a 3/4 sleeve jacket, they keep me quite warm.

Hi there! Last year, I frequented the opera, courtesy of great networking and a season pass. However, it was in DC at the Kennedy Center and not the Met.

I can say this about DC opera - dress code rigidity varies greatly. Mostly because the crowd is so diverse, specifically when it comes to age range. The biggest dispersion is between the old, wealthy formally dressed (usually gowned) women and the new society, young up-and-comers. They can include privileged college students, social-climbing socialites, and ambitious Hill staffers.

The attire of this crowd is usually "creatively dressy." The first outfit described would be a perfect example. I got away with black pumps, a simply cut black v-neck long sleeved dress, my hair in a posh-looking bun, dramatic lipstick, and strings of pearls to glam it up. And don't be afraid to wear a short dress at the DC opera either. Interludes among the new society crowd look like a picture-perfect cocktail party, and no one looks out of place. Many of the "hip" crowd like to adopt the "I-just-got-out-of-work-and-still-look-fabulous" technique. Taking a "day" work outfit and transforming it into something stylishly irresistible at night. A classic rule of thumb: if you feel you might be under-dressed, accessorize. Another: whatever you do, don't look like you're going to prom.

And for the men, a bowtie is not necessary but a jacket and tie always, always, always is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there! Last year, I frequented the opera, courtesy of great networking and a season pass. However, it was in DC at the Kennedy Center and not the Met.

I can say this about DC opera - dress code rigidity varies greatly. Mostly because the crowd is so diverse, specifically when it comes to age range. The biggest dispersion is between the old, wealthy formally dressed (usually gowned) women and the new society, young up-and-comers. They can include privileged college students, social-climbing socialites, and ambitious Hill staffers.

The attire of this crowd is usually "creatively dressy." The first outfit described would be a perfect example. I got away with black pumps, a simply cut black v-neck long sleeved dress, my hair in a posh-looking bun, dramatic lipstick, and strings of pearls to glam it up. And don't be afraid to wear a short dress at the DC opera either. Interludes among the new society crowd look like a picture-perfect cocktail party, and no one looks out of place. Many of the "hip" crowd like to adopt the "I-just-got-out-of-work-and-still-look-fabulous" technique. Taking a "day" work outfit and transforming it into something stylishly irresistible at night. A classic rule of thumb: if you feel you might be under-dressed, accessorize. Another: whatever you do, don't look like you're going to prom.

And for the men, a bowtie is not necessary but a jacket and tie always, always, always is.

I'm do excited for Friday night! Great tips. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a gown and full length fur since I'm young (20s). However, I've seen the older ladies wear that on opening night. I'm in the midwest, so it's harder to find the young up and coming socialites/new society that you mention. :unsure:

I'm am going for the glamorous cocktail look with a knee length LBD, (faux) fur jacket, and pearls. I may add a silver sequined bag and black opera length gloves. . .haven't decided on those yet. :flower:

BTW, I decided to keep both! The jacket ended up getting reduced further to less than $50. And I fell in love with the cape. I know both will come in handy even though they are both black. Now, Victoria Beckham is making me want a faux fox. . .:shock:

Photo from tFS

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Augustina15
Back