Balenciaga Sues Nicolas Ghesquière

naya

Reaction score
BALENCIAGA is reportedly suing former creative director Nicolas Ghesquière - following a controversial interview that was published after his exit from the fashion house, in which he criticised the brand's management. A spokesperson on behalf of the fashion house could not be reached for comment.

According to French business magazine Challenges, Balenciaga - which is owned by Kering, formerly known as PPR - is filing legal charges against the designer for "breach of duty of confidentiality". The offending interview in question - published in System magazine in April - was the first time that he had spoken out since departing the label. A Kering representative declined to comment on the reports.

In the candid piece, Ghesquière revealed that he decided to leave the fashion house because he "ended up feeling too alone", and as though he was being "sucked dry". He also accused the label of "lacking in direction" and claimed that he had a lack of support from the business side of the relationship.

Ghesquière and Balenciaga announced the end of their 15-year relationship in November last year, and the designer was eventually succeeded by Alexander Wang as creative director. Much speculation has been made as to what his next move will be - not least that he may be set to take the helm at Louis Vuitton when, and if, Marc Jacobs decides to step down - but nothing has yet been confirmed.

Source: vogue.co.uk

Unless he signed a non-disclosure agreement this case has no merit. Either way this just seems like sour grapes to me.

Just another reason to hate the people who run PPR. D-bags all the way.

yeah i don't think stating your opinion of how you felt inside is just for a lawsuit

you don't sue hot people!
LOL!

I just hate them more and more. Seriously. The corporate culture which disregards creative talent and sees it as no more than a puppet to do what it wants and that they can just throw out and replace has essentially ruined high fashion. And underline this, they owe everything about Balenciaga today to Nicolas.

Unless he signed a non-disclosure agreement this case has no merit.

I'm sure he did in his contract, but I definitely don't feel like he revealed anything in that interview that was confidential enough for him to be sued over. So ridiculous.

I'm thinking the sour grapes here is mostly Isabelle Guichot. Those hints in his interviews must've touched a nerve.

BALENCIAGA V. GHESQUIÈRE
Lawsuit Reveals Juicy New Details About Nicolas Ghesquière’s Split from Balenciaga

A court hearing date has been set for Balenciaga’s lawsuit against former creative director Nicolas Ghesquière, and WWD has all the juicy details.

For one, Balenciaga’s lawyer confirmed that it was in fact Ghesquière’s comments in an interview with new magazine System that inspired Balenciaga to sue. Ghesquière’s collaborator, stylist Marie-Amélie Sauvé, is named in the suit as well.

According to the filing, his comments violated the “separation agreement” that Ghesquière signed on October 17, 2012, which stipulated that he “refrain from declarations that could hurt the image of Balenciaga.”

One of Ghesquière’s quotes mentioned in the suit: “…I began to feel as though I was sucked dry, like they wanted to steal my identity while trying to homogenize things.”

“Balenciaga didn’t want its designer to justify his departure by criticizing the house that employed him,” the court document says. “In general, the parties, knowing the hypersensitivity of the fashion industry to changes in creative direction, were forbidden from commenting on the break in order to avoid any detrimental effect on their economic interests or their image.”

According to the trade, Balenciaga is seeking $9.2 million in damages, as well as “publication of the judgment in a variety of French fashion and business publications.” It’s kind of the public way to make Ghesquière eat his words.

However, while it sounds like a lot, Ghesquière could probably take a $9 million hit pretty easily. In addition to getting paid nearly that much as compensation in 2012 after breaking his employment contracts, he apparently received $42.3 million for the sale of his 10% stake in the company.

The hearing of Ghesquière’s lawyers’ arguments is set for October 15, with a full hearing expected to take place next year.

It’s still unknown what Ghesquière’s next professional move will be, but we wouldn’t be surprised if he waited until the end of his legal battles to embark on it.

fashionista.com

Last edited by a moderator:
this is what i hate so much about these conglomerate houses....all of these ridiculous backroom agreements and clauses that dictate so much even a sentiment...so they pretty much even though he's gone,no longer affiliated they still maintain a sense of control over him forcing him to be dishonest....which generally doesn't surprise me since that's the way these houses often operate on....but to control an opinion after the fact seems overly paranoid and overreactive. i know nicolas weighs a lot of influence and has certainly defined an era for balenciaga but come on....balenciaga will remain balenciaga for ages....commenting about the treatment of owners has no reflection on the image or legacy of that house.

this is what i hate so much about these conglomerate houses....all of these ridiculous backroom agreements and clauses that dictate so much even a sentiment...so they pretty much even though he's gone,no longer affiliated they still maintain a sense of control over him forcing him to be dishonest....which generally doesn't surprise me since that's the way these houses often operate on....but to control an opinion after the fact seems overly paranoid and overreactive. i know nicolas weighs a lot of influence and has certainly defined an era for balenciaga but come on....balenciaga will remain balenciaga for ages....commenting about the treatment of owners has no reflection on the image or legacy of that house.

Well Nicolas took their money and signed the papers so he felt the clauses were worth it.

Ghesquière and Balenciaga Battled it out in Court Today

The Fashion Law Exclusive – Nicholas Ghesquière and Balenciaga were in court in Paris today as scheduled. The Tribunal de Grande Instance of Paris, a French civil court, heard the parties’ oral arguments in the $9.5 million lawsuit that Balenciaga filed against Ghesquière, who now serves as creative director at Louis Vuitton. You may recall that Balenciaga filed suit in September alleging that Ghesquière breached his contract, particularly the agreement to refrain from making statements that could undermine the image of Balenciaga or its parent company, Kering, stemming from a string of interviews he gave to London-based fashion magazine System. Today, Thierry Lévy, who is counsel for Balenciaga, told the court that Ghesquière is a “young man infinitely gifted” and a “hard worker, who managed in a few years the miracle of resurrecting Balenciaga.” However, Lévy also told the court that the Paris-based design house has suffered material injury as a result of the designer’s breach, saying: “Ghesquière’s statements sound like thunder, and Balenciaga is powerless against these words.”

Michel Laval, who is representing Ghesquière, referred to the designer as ”the spiritual heir of Cristobal Balenciaga.” Laval fought Balenciaga’s allegations, primarily claiming that there is no proof that Balenciaga has been negatively affected by Ghesquière’s comments, telling the court: “No evidence is given of the injury,” and highlighting “flourishing accounts of Balenciaga.” Laval stated that Ghesquière’s comments in the System magazine interview were not meant to incriminate Balenciaga, so to speak. Instead, he believes Ghesquière expressed a view shared by many designers in his position, saying: ”This is the old and difficult question of the relationship between the creator and the fashion house. The creator regrets that business logic prevails. But who will say the opposite and why is it negative?”

Moreover, Laval spoke to one of the key comments that is at issue in the case, Ghesquière’s statement: “I was being sucked dry, like they wanted to steal my identity while trying to homogenize things.” Of this, Laval said that his client was referring to the ”characteristic of the designer that get lost in creation.” Thereafter, he asked the court, “Where is the repetitional damage to Balenciaga?”

Last but not least, Laval told the court that Balenciaga, particularly the president of the house, Isabelle Guichot and the President/Chairman of Kering, François-Henri Pinault, is at fault for taking the initiative to announce the departure of Ghesquière unilaterally, and not in accordance with the protocol provided in the house’s media plan. To this, Lévy remarked: ”There was no possible dialogue.”

As for what chance Ghesquière stands in winning the suit, it largely depends on the wording of the specific clause prohibiting him from speaking out about his time with Balenciaga. According to what was said in court today, there is a “separation agreement” in place that Ghesquière signed in 2012 and in return, he received compensation in excess of $8 million. The agreement stipulated that he “refrain from declarations that could hurt the image of Balenciaga.” This is obviously rather vague, which would probably be more beneficial to Balenciaga than to Ghesquière, as from the sounds of it, there is no need for Balenciaga to prove actual harm in order to claim breach. In fact, if the aforementioned wording is exact, Balenciaga would merely need to show that Ghesquière’s statements “could hurt” its image. That’s a pretty low bar.

I suppose Ghesquière’s légal team could argue that the contract is invalid in someway, maybe it is not limited enough in terms of duration, it is unconscionable (aka it is grossly unfair to the party with lesser bargaining power … Ghesquière), or it is the result of undue influence. I doubt that any of these defenses to a breach of contract will be valid, however, as the parties to the contract, Balenciaga and Ghesquière (who was undoubtedly represent by legal counsel) are sophisticated parties and absent some major mistake, the contract is likely enforceable.

Finally, there is the argument that Ghesquière was merely sharing his opinion on the matter, something that Ghesquière’s lawyer proposed in court today. Because the matter is between two private entities, the First Amendment right to speech likely does not come into play. However, on a related note, I do wonder if Ghesquiere’s lawyer has a point here. While I agree that Nicolas probably should have chosen his words a bit more wisely in order to avoid legal ramifications, is he shedding light on a larger issue: That creative directors and designers are really doing too much in light of the increased speed of fashion and the number of collections they are expected to turn out each season?

The court has set a verdict for August 27th if the parties do not reach a settlement poor to that date. More to come …
thefashionlaw

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->