Balenciaga Sues Nicolas Ghesquière

if that damn conglomerate wins this, there should be chaos, mayhem and revolution from the fashion (under)world, like the student riots of may '68.

i mean it! :judge::boxer::mohawk:

It's pretty obvious they took an ego trip with this one. I don't think of anything that could damage a company's image more than airing dirty laundry in court:rolleyes: Now that he's being sued, he might as well spill the beans on anything else.

if that damn conglomerate wins this, there should be chaos, mayhem and revolution from the fashion (under)world, like the student riots of may '68.

i mean it! :judge::boxer::mohawk:

That's a lovely thought, Jane.

But there are no rebels in fashion nowadays: Should we be expecting young guns Alexander Wang, J.W. Anderson and the Olsen Twins to rage against the machine...?

(They'll all be too busy in board meetings.)

i think there are some rebels left but unfortunately so much of fashion is now controlled by power and greed from the corporate sector,that many of the cynical voices have been muffled.

daniellat,that's a great point too. just imagine the dirt that will regurgitate during a court proceeding. to me the idea of this clause is indeed rather vague since it doesn't seem to be clear what that actually means. he spoke out against owners not the house itself so how that gets translated in this will be interesting,if they even can interpret it that way. all i know is that,this is probably the most disgusting(among many)aspects of captialism...they so often have you at their mercy even if you're no longer affiliated with the company.

I hate Thierry Levy ! and he scares me to death. i would be crying in front of him in court, and confess everything he wants me to.
:doh::D

that is funny because i see thierry levy as someone who is against politically correct and morality, and that he was for freedom of speech. and this lame case smells being politically correct and not being able to speak freely. i had no idea he was PPR lawyer. :shock:

"there is the insult, and then there is the Law. After after, there is backlash/punishment." (not sure this a good translated quote. he once said that on TV. i will always remember this phrase).

ps: now that i know thierry levy is PPR lawyer, I doubt Nicolas will win.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate Thierry Levy ! and he scares me to death. i would be crying in front of him in court, and confess everything he wants me to.
:doh::D

that is funny because i see thierry levy as someone who is against politically correct and morality, and that he was for freedom of speech. and this lame case smells being politically correct and not being able to speak freely. i had no idea he was PPR lawyer. :shock:

"there is the insult, and then there is the Law. After after, there is backlash/punishment." (not sure this a good translated quote. he once said that on TV. i will always remember this phrase).

ps: now that i know thierry levy is PPR lawyer, I doubt Nicolas will win.
I really hope Nicolas wins, this case is far more damaging to Balenciaga's image than anything he said in an interview (which was frankly so devoid of damaging insults its ridiculous that this case went to court at all) The fact that they're suing them just makes them seem like soul-sucking petty a$$holes. Now that I said that, they'll probably sue me :mrgreen:

Anyway I thought there were clauses to cover you from being legally liable for just stating an opinion - i.e. that it isn't defamation if it's the expression of an opinion, so it can't then count as slander. Of course I guess lawyers are able to twist any law every which way they like, so I guess this Thierry Levy character will endeavour to do so. His ghoulish looks are positively terrifying

Last edited by a moderator:
This kind of reminds me of Pinault's case with Evangelista. Too much dirty laundry to air. I think PPR will regret it. Call it the Streisand effect.

Stefano Pilati made similar comments in an interview with Vice magazine, but nothing really happens...Stop being a biased b***h, Mr Pinault.:rolleyes:

The harm to PPR is certain greater by hiring Alexander Wang than by what Nicholas said...

Quote:

Balenciaga Vs. Nicolas Ghesquière Lawsuit To Be Settled Via Mediation
Aug 27, 2014 11:38 AM EDT
By Britteny Dee, Features Editor

Balenciaga's lawsuit against its former designer, Nicolas Ghesquière, has moved out of the courtroom and into mediation.

At the suggestion of the president of the Tribunal de Grande Instance, the French fashion house and Ghesquière have agreed to try to settle their dispute themselves, WWD reported. Oral arguments in the civil case were heard in July, and the court was originally scheduled to make a decision on Wednesday.

The lawsuit brought by Balenciaga against Ghesquière regards comments the designer made that the fashion house claims were harmful to its image, its parent company and its shareholders.

Balenciaga is seeking damages of about $9.4 million because of an interview Ghesquière and stylist Marie-Amélie Sauvé did with London-based fashion magazine System in 2013. The lawsuit mentions several quotes from the interview, which was focused on Ghesquière's career post-Balenciaga, including one that reads:

"It was all about branding. I don't have anything against that; actually, the thing that I'm most proud of is that it's become a big financial entity and will continue to exist. But I began to feel as though I was sucked dry, like they wanted to steal my identity while trying to homogenize things."

Michel Laval, counsel for Ghesquière, argued that the comments were not critical of Balenciaga but of the fashion industry as a whole.

Ghesquière is now at the helm of Louis Vuitton, and Alexander Wang has taken over for him at Balenciaga.

According to Hugo Lévy, a lawyer at Thierry Lévy & Associés who is counsel for Balenciaga, this attempt at mediation does not represent any change in Balenciaga's initial claim. If the mediation does not result in an agreement between both parties, Lévy told WWD that Balenciaga will pursue the claim before the tribunal.

Source: Fashiontimes.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mihxxen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->